Author Topic: Interested in a map pack download script? (server admins: please read)  (Read 1432 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
I'm considering creating a map pack download script (in Python) that would download all the newest maps from a specific map pack put together on the map DB. All the maps in the map packs would be hand picked, and there would ideally be more than one map pack.

Players could easily have access to the newest good maps by just running a script...

And more importantly, servers could have the newer maps much sooner, and it would be much less work to server administrators. The script could even be put on a cronjob.

If you're interested, leave a reply... especially if you run a server.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Can we filter it? For example -jump would eliminate any map with JUMP in its name or in a jump category :D

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
The map DB has no jump maps :)

But yes, I suppose it could be filtered. But there will be more than one map pack (possibly), so filters may not be necessary.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Maybe :P

Another question: U release ur map search script? Or is it for the resource website only?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
I don't think OTB's servers need it. It already has more maps than I do. :P (And I believe the maps on the FTP are also available for match?)

The map search script just indexes different sites and puts it into a database. Not much to it.

On a related note: I was thinking about making a script (for people to download) to download using DP Res' map mirror search, so you could just type the name of a map and the script would download it for you (and related textures and sounds for that map).

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
On a related note: I was thinking about making a script (for people to download) to download using DP Res' map mirror search, so you could just type the name of a map and the script would download it for you (and related textures and sounds for that map).
Sounds nice. It would be perfect for an extra serverbrowser feature.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker

I was actually working on something like that a while ago.  Think I was porting DPGet to Bash.  If you want, I can get the scripts for you.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Well, it's going to be all Python... the BSP parser and all...