Author Topic: Community map project  (Read 16777 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
Re: Community map project
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »
Termin8or, I'm not planning on doing any broad mapping but rather tweaks, details, textures, models, lighting etc.  Pretty much the finishing touches.
Your specialty.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:15:23 PM by Garrett »

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
i was hoping on having the beginning down by tonight, then passing it on but im having a little trouble beginning one with buildings and stuff are there any more suggestions. and i might need to change the order because my brother and i will be going out of town the seventeenth. so termin8or i think you can have his spot.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
Okay y00tz, thats fine.
I guess I will go before you if you don't mind?

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
Just make a mix of PP1 and Shazz 22

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:04 PM »
here is my beginning of the map, the bsp is attached to the post so the rest of you can see it and i'll send the .map to viciouz so he can have his two days to work on it and then pass it on.

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but i think that my update was important enough.

i felt like making another map over the past few hours, and my brother suggested that i should have used it for the community map, look at both of them and then you, anyone on the forum, not just the participants in the map, can vote on what we use. even though the participant's votes might be a little more important. on this map there are misaligned boxes at the moment.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
Can you just post the .maps?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »
I prefer the original community base, even if it is totally arbitrary. Warehouse design is probably y00tz' reserve given the screenshots in his urban map thread, and his design would probably be 100's of polys less taxing due to the way he constructs his shelving, etc...

The problems with the community base is that there is no vis-blocking from end to end, so whoever does the next part of the map on from the base might need to be pretty creative so as to keep the fast flow of the map AND fix the vis so you aren't rendering the 1200 poly base at the same time.

- Dagless

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »
Just make a mix of PP1 and Shazz 22

Might as well mix Blitz and OddJob while you're at it ;D

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
okay here are the .maps

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Once we've decided which to use, I'll start on the next section.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
R u guys think about doin the ww theme

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
I don't actually like those ideas - the community map project should be something BIG and great, not just an ordinary map.

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »
if its gonna be big and great someone else will have to do it.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
Personally i like the community.bsp, i just like the feel of it :D

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
M-A-Zing, I just meant that it should be something that no one has never seen before as the best mappers of our community are working on it together :)

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
well someone else can start it. like viciouz could start over unless we like one of them. because hopefully either of them will end up looking 100 times better than it does now.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
It's unfortunate, they both look like paintball2 maps.  Metal trimmed entry ways with no doors simply perpetuate the notion that nearly every mapper opens BSP, slaps textures onto brushes and rushes to the forum.  I was perusing an uncompleted map moments ago in which the mapper for the second time was asking someone to verify it's done so it can be moved to the completed section.

Do we not strive for greatness?  I've rendered decently lit levels with high-res textures that resmemble Source, yet every time I hop on a server I'm staring at ISlappedBrushesTogetherAndAdded2Bases.bsp.

If this community map is going to be good, why not begin like any other project destined beyond mediocrity?  Let's have a brainstorming session, followed by extensive design and prototyping.  By each person simple adding their own vision and design to the map and passing it along, we are simply designing by committee.   All the mappers need to be on the same page, working toward the same goal or we'll end up with de_OddBlitzOffice33.

And you thought I was the nice guy?

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
alright, we can start the whole thing again. i'm not exactly sure how we can have a brainstorming session, but i hope that settles things because i kind of rushed into this thing a little too fast. i think we should have a longer time to work on the map now that i've tried this thing. but i'm going out of town thursday, and can only help till then, sorry. the only reason i didn't plan was because the only map i planned for was 700 bc and it didn't turn out too well. so if we can figure out how to do a brainstorm i say we go for it, and i nominate y00tz to run this project, because he has his priorities.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
No thanks :) CTP > CMapP on my priority list.   I just want to see maps that don't suck.  (No offense to every single mapper, your maps are all completely amazing, but for kicks, try and be more like
Doc Dagless)

As for the brainstorming session, hmmmm... we're not all online at the same time, so maybe we could invent some sort of online bulletin board system to leave messages for one another to view and respond to... what we call such a public forum? :)

Let's use this thread silly :P