Author Topic: More advanced map making with BSP  (Read 3064 times)

dnadna

• PGP
More advanced map making with BSP
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:05 AM »
Hello! I am dnadna aka tlc, thlhnchs, thelaughingcheese or cheese.

if you dont know how to run the basics of BSP then please visit http://dpball.com/files/mapmaking/tutorials/bsp_tutorial_01_basics.htm

Lets get started.

Cutting holes in brushes.

Draw a brushe the size of the hole you want.  Then move it to where you want the hole and press the 4th button to the right on the first group of buttons on the frist row.  Now delete the brush you used to cut a hole by pressing - or you could change the shape and use it for something else.  this is usefull for making tunnels that connect to a room or windows.

Lighting.

scroll down the list of textures untill you find the light emmiting textures; they begin with LIT.  I recommend you make it look relistic so get a metal texture and draw a brush with a side the light will fit on to now click on that side to select it (that side will be outlined in yellow) and find a LIT texture and press alt-f you may move your brush around to make the light fit properly and press alt-l to lock the texture so it wont change when you move it around.

Doors:

Make a brush that will be your door and put it where you want it and press e and you will get a window and go to the drop down list and select func_door and press "make entities". now press any of the little buttons on the entitles window untill a little red arrow on your door points in the directon of where you want to open.

Buttons.

Draw a brush that will be your button and press e.  go down the drop down and select func_button then press "make entities".  now press the little numbered buttons till the little red arrow on your button points in the direction you want the button to go when pressed.  to hook it up to something select the button and click an the + in the entities window and type in Key: target and type in value: button1.  now go to wat u need to hook it up to like a door and press esc to deselect all and then select the door and press e then press + and type in key: targetname and type in value: button1.

Walls.

to make walls invisable or halfe invisable select the wall u want to change and press s to get a window. select nodraw and press apply brushes.

to make a visable but passable wall press s and select aux and press apply brushes.

Paint and water.

go to textures and select a water texture and put it where u want it.

go and chose your texture and put it where you want paint and press s then select slime and apply brush.

flags

make a randome box and press e and select flag at drop down list and press make entities.  to select the team press + and type in key: teamnumber and in value any number from 0-4 (sry idk the wat steam is wat number).

NOTE: if you are making a jump map and want a flag in a dm mode you NEED to press esc then e and press the little + in the entities window and type gamemode in key and type 1 in value.

Hints.

make a box where ever you want a player to know something and press e. sellect trigger_multiple fron drop down list and press make entities.  press the little + in the entities window and type message in key and your message in value

compiling.

VERY IMPORTANT if you added lights use final compile.bat

thats it for now!! you can visit these links for more info http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=14235.0 http://bspquakeeditor.com/tutorials.php

If you want my first and my newest public jump map here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=14325.new#new

Laged

• 68 Carbine
Re: More advanced map making with BSP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »
You can also use fastvis rad.bat for testing the lights. Final compile is used before you release a new beta version/map.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:24 PM »
This isn't really advanced stuff.  Its basic knowledge and is in the other tutorials on these forums.  Those other tutorials are put together better and look nicer too.
And please stop with the jump map creation information.  This isn't a jump mod, there for, doesn't need new jump maps to be made.

dnadna

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »
This isn't really advanced stuff.  Its basic knowledge and is in the other tutorials on these forums.  Those other tutorials are put together better and look nicer too.
And please stop with the jump map creation information.  This isn't a jump mod, there for, doesn't need new jump maps to be made.

I agree this is basic knowledge but are you sure there are other tutorials on this forum  that tell you how to make doors, buttons, dm flags, invisable walls and popup messages?  i dont use the quake2 jump mod cus wats the point? it takes up memory space, you can jump the same way in pb2 and its more convienient to switch from playing pball to jump.  Yes it is NOT a jump MOD cus its not a mod it was made this way and was NEVER moddified to be a jump because IT HAS A JUMP FUNCTION so i will continue to use pb2 to jump and make jump maps

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
If you need a tutorial, that means you are trying to jump ahead too much, which means all your maps suck.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
That is stupid logic dnadna. 
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5286.0

Tells you how to use the paintball exe to play the game.  Its an extra megabyte or two.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »
dnadna is perfectly reasonable in his logic.

But the community (here) doesn't support the use of the game as a jump game.

dnadna

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
sk89q thank you! some1 that agrees with me about jumping and no i dont need a tutorial about map making any more

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
dnadna is perfectly reasonable in his logic.

But the community (here) doesn't support the use of the game as a jump game.

Actually, from what I've gathered, only a small portion of the community (most of which very rarely plays) does not condone this game being used for jumping. The very idea that you should put constraints on how to have legitimate fun in a game is kinda stupid anyways imho.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:47:17 AM »
Well, the thing is, there is already a mod for Quake2 that's specifically designed for jumping and has the necessary features to make it work well and be more enjoyable (passing through players, save points, etc.).  This game doesn't have those because it isn't a jump mod and was not designed with that in mind.

dnadna

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
Well, the thing is, there is already a mod for Quake2 that's specifically designed for jumping and has the necessary features to make it work well and be more enjoyable (passing through players, save points, etc.).  This game doesn't have those because it isn't a jump mod and was not designed with that in mind.

btw even if i wanted to use q2 jump mod i cant play it cus i need the files to download from the server and i cant connect to the server and the link you gave us doesnt work

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
Links to download it work fine fine for me.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »
It didn't let me on the site at first, later it worked. Try again later or google it.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »
Lock thread?

This is not advanced and has no point for helping the new mappers.
All of the info in this thread has been made in a tutorial already and already done more than once.