Author Topic: Millitary Branch?  (Read 10501 times)

Smokey

• Autococker
Millitary Branch?
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »
Just wondering, has anyone here ever been in the military? Namely the Army or the Air Force. I'm shying away from the Coast Guard because it seems dull and the navy...well yea.

Marines seem too combat-centered for my tastes, as I'd rather join to get experience in a field of my liking.

The air force is the best technological-wise, so I figure that they would be a good choice.

QED

• Stingray
Re: Millitary Branch?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
Looks like you've already made up your mind.

Ex Navy here (Electronics Warfare Technichian

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »
I haven't been in an armed force yet, but in a few months when I turn 17 I have decided to join the corps. I'm gonna start talking to my recruiter alot to get everything planned out. I realize how dangerous war is but I want to get some, I have the need for a confirmed kill, and at the moment thats what I plan to do.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
Looks like you've already made up your mind.

Ex Navy here (Electronics Warfare Technichian
Not really, im wondering if there are any downsides or pluses to a certain branch that I'm uninformed of.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »
My nephew enlisted in the Army last year after graduating from HS.

After training, he's now in Iraq in the Green Zone as the Army equivalent of a computer nerd.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
Im gonna be so pissed if I don't get in the shi.t

Scope

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »
Depends on what you want special forces hit up the army become airborne or ranger or just both Airborne Ranger , infantry .

Air Force Has ups and downs that is flying . Do you want combat ?

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »

BALLS TO THE WALL MAN LET'S LIGHT SOME IRAQI SONS OF ALLAH UP

PEACE FREEDOM 2 DA MAX IT'LL BE LIKE 'NAM AGAIN

I'd personally get in on a little of that marine sniper action. Nothing wrong with chilling over 500 meters away from your target taking choice shots when they make themselves known. Realistically, I would just find some IT job with the navy. One of the c0rpz (oat jones) has been in the navy for at least 2 years now and rarely comes on IRC, but is always telling us about how awesome it is (traveling around Europe) and how he's saving stacks of money. Works out pretty nice if you get on the water; all your stuff paid for! He told me they even have shopping malls and hookers on the carriers. Awesome.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »
My lifetime hero is Anthony Swofford

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
...I have the need for a confirmed kill...

People who should not be in the Army, part one.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
That's why you go Marines, semper fi, do or die, gun ho, gun ho.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
Should have said Military, sorry. You're a terrible person.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:57:32 AM »
aww thanks Eiii

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »
I don't mind the whole combat thing, its just not what I want to join for. I want to join for job experience and so that college is paid for without my parents paying or student loans. The army and the Air Force seem to be the best for computer science related jobs.

I talked to an Air Force recruiter and he told me to goto the Air Show in Rochester Saturday, he'd get me tickets and let me talk to the pilots and excrement. He also said based on my azvab score I'd be eligible for over 95% of the jobs in the Air Force.

QED

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
Send me a pic of when you get shot at the first time so I can see the pee stain in your BTU's. hehe  

As far as pros and cons...

For the Navy, if you score well on yoru ASVAB tests, you can just about have your pick of what you want to do.  There are shore based rates, sea based rates, air based rates...  pretty much cover it all.  We bring the Marines to the beach, drop them off and go out to sea and fire guns of support over their heads.  

The six month regular sea deployments can be good for you.  If you're newly married they can suck if you don't trust your spouse.  I saw a lot of the world, got a lot of great education and life experiences while in the US Navy.  

If you do speak to a recruiter, do not believe everything they tell you.  write down what they tell you and ask someone who has been or is in the service about the validity of what the recruiter is saying to you.

QED

• Stingray
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
I don't mind the whole combat thing, its just not what I want to join for. I want to join for job experience and so that college is paid for without my parents paying or student loans. The army and the Air Force seem to be the best for computer science related jobs.

I talked to an Air Force recruiter and he told me to goto the Air Show in Rochester Saturday, he'd get me tickets and let me talk to the pilots and excrement. He also said based on my azvab score I'd be eligible for over 95% of the jobs in the Air Force.

I have a brother in law in the Air Farce I can fwd questions to if you'd like.

iced

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
atmays just took off a few weeks ago for basic training into the airforce...hes gonna be back in mid-september so maybe u can talk to him about it then...i kno its a long time but heres whta he sed:

1. you go to into "boot camp" for basic training = 7.5 weeks
2. you go to tech school
3. you look for a base that is wanting your position

now i know there are more steps in between but thats what i can remember him telling me

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
Smokey are you from Rochester, MI?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
Smokey are you from Rochester, MI?
Rochester, NY.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
atmays just took off a few weeks ago for basic training into the airforce...hes gonna be back in mid-september so maybe u can talk to him about it then...i kno its a long time but heres whta he sed:

1. you go to into "boot camp" for basic training = 7.5 weeks
2. you go to tech school
3. you look for a base that is wanting your position

now i know there are more steps in between but thats what i can remember him telling me
I thought atmays was like 15.http://www.xfire.com/profile/atmays/