Author Topic: Whoa, it works now  (Read 1752 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Whoa, it works now
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
As of 10am-ish I can't get on the internet via web browsers, update iTunes, etc.  However Steam and it's downloading service still work just fine... All my wireless PCs are fine... Any ideas?

-Tried multiple web browsers
-Haven't changed anything in the last week on my router, pc, etc.
-I don't think it's a router problem
-I have a 'secure' WLAN but I have a sketchy friend who uses it sometimes... much like last night...

XP MCE 2005

Lots more info available on request.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:29:36 PM by y00tz »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: I can't get see you DPLogin...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:43:50 PM »
Are you sure that your DNS requests are being serviced properly? Perhaps steam operates on static IP's for their content servers or whatever, and anything relying on a nameserver lookup is failing.

Are you pointing your broken PC's DNS queries to the router, or to your ISP's DNS servers? I'm thinking maybe your wireless PC's are set up to acquire the network addresses via DHCP (including DNS, so they get the ISP DNS servers), while your static one was set up with a manual static IP, etc... (and so possibly are set up to send DNS requests to the default gateway - this sometimes behaves oddly, you should be able to rectify it with a router reboot).

- Dag

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Whoa, it works now
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:30:17 PM »
your static one was set up with a manual static IP, etc... (and so possibly are set up to send DNS requests to the default gateway - this sometimes behaves oddly, you should be able to rectify it with a router reboot).

Much thanks, totally works now :)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:22 PM »
* KnacK pokes teh n00b

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
happy to help bro.

- Dag

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
my router's been down for a month... :/ I was gone for a while and I think lighting hit it while I was gone or something. I've tried hard resets and still can't connect to it. So my laptop and wii are offline :/    looks like it'll cost me to get a new one. I'll see if it somehow works sometime, now that I thought about it.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
I get this problem occasionally.  I just unplug the wires on both the router and the modem for a minute or two, and replug the wires back in.  Works every time.