Author Topic: 911 - Remembering  (Read 2355 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
911 - Remembering
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »
2,974 people are killed when nineteen al-Qaeda terrorists hijack four commercial airliners, crashing two of them into the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon and one into a field in Pennsylvania.

I was at work at Logic Junction. Tun, the boss' personal secretary ran into my office and announced a plane hit one of the towers. At that time we thought it was a small plane or something. Further monitoring of the news revealed the truth and the second plane strike. Our graphics guy was frantic because his brother worked up on the 70 something floor of one of the towers. Ends up he got out ok. Our boss sent us all home. Driving home I remember deciding if I should go around, or through, Atlanta. I chose to go through Atlanta, but was very weary of possible attacks there. On my way home, listening to the radio, the first tower fell. I made it home and watched the second tower fall with my wife.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: 911 - Remembering
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »
I was on the support desk when the first tower was hit.  I flipped the tv on to watch the second one get hit.  We had a team of consultants in one of the towers that left the night before.  We proceeded to do a roll call of all of the consultants of the company to make sure everyone was fine ( 300+ employees). We had no idea what the day to day activities were for them nor where they were.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:19:54 AM »
I was at school, history class.  Teacher switched the TV on so everybody could watch the 2nd plane crash into the tower live. A classmate was in NY at that time, couldnt get back to MN in that week, as all flights had been cancelled. He wasn't anywhere near Ground Zero tho.  Surprisingly, the classes all went on after a while. Oh, and some people were afraid there could be some attack on a Nuke base nearby soon, in Grand Forks or wherever that was.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
I was on a civilian flight on my way home from my second year tour in the middle east when it happened. The pilot came over the intercom and said "We just got a report of a plane crashing into one of the twin towers. We don't have any information yet" I remember looking around and seeing everyones faces. A lot of people thought he was joking at first. Everyone was shocked. This was a plane full of people working missions in the area of these terrorist.
 Being an all military and government contractor flight we got grounded in the Azores for about 5 days. All we had was what was available in our carry ons. We were pretty much confined to our temporary housing and a bowling alley cafeteria for the five days. All we had to do was watch the news, eat and sleep.  Needless to say trying to get home from L.A.X after all that was horrible.
Years later... I ended up working with a retired NYC detective who actually wrote a book all about his experiences during this. One of the saddest things he told me was climbing through rubble and hearing someone call for help. The person that was trapped could hear him. He told him to hold on, that he would get some help to try to dig him out. The trapped man was crying and saying "don't leave me." My friend then recounted how it was so hard to find someone not in a daze to help him try and lift the rocks. When they went back they couldn't find him again, even with the marker he had lain down at the spot.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
God bless

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »
I was at school, history class.  Teacher switched the TV on so everybody could watch the 2nd plane crash into the tower live.... Surprisingly, the classes all went on after a while.

same here, but geography class. actually, some people had heard about it at the end of band, but I didn't have the slightest clue what was going on when i came across a horde of people praying in the band director's office (and crowded around its doors) after practice.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
At my school, an announcement was made, an assembly was held, then I believe each class spent a couple hours discussing it before continuing day as usual. Not to say things went as they usually do, but there wasn't a huge hoopla over the whole event.

... I didn't have the slightest clue what was going on when i came across a horde of people praying in the band director's office (and crowded around its doors) after practice.
When all you can do is pray, you're doing it wrong. :\

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
When all you can do is pray, you're doing it wrong. :\
huh?

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »
I was in the second grade, and we went through the day without knowing anything. Then my mom was there to pick me up after school and she was frantic with a look I've never seen in hers eyes before. The school cancelled my cub scout meeting that night and on the way home my mom wouldn't tell me anything. I remember asking her "what's wrong" and she said "something very terrible has happened", I asked her "mommy is the world ending?" and she took a breath and said "I don't know hun" then we got home and she turned on the TV and told me what had happened. I cried all night worrying something happened to my dad because he was supposed to fly back from St. Paul to Detroit, cuz he was away on business, but luckily his flight got grounded earlier that day. The next day I cant remember if school was called off or not, but the next time in school we didn't even learn we just talked about what's going on.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
West coast here. I first heard it on the radio in the car on the way to school. I was 20 or so minutes early, and several classrooms had TVs on about it.

iced

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
West coast here also....i was in the 2nd grade and i was about to go into the garage to get into the car and be off to school...then my dad was watching the news and then my dad called us back in (idk what was going on) and then later i found out what had happened...

so sad...my uncle actually there helping people and holding traffic and stuff (being a cop and all) but thank god he is still with us here today.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
Pennsylvania, 4th grade, walked back home from school, saw my mom just sitting in front of the TV, staring at it. I didn't speak English back then, but the videos on the news told everything.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
I was in 5th grade in the library.  There was an announcement on the PA about the attacks.  Parents started picking their kids up early from school and I watched one of the Stock Market Channel anchors just walk off the set when the second tower fell.  I was still kinda young at the time and still couldn't exactly grasp how big the attack really was and how horrible it was.  Needless to say, I cheered when we dropped the first bomb on Afghanistan.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
I was in 8th grade (i think) in Science class.  The Principle came in and said that "a plane has hit one of the twin towers."  My first thought was that a small single engine private plane hit it.  When I got home the TV was on with the smoking towers.  We got in the car, drove 3 minutes, and watched the NYC skyline from a hill.

sonicx059

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »
I was in school across the street from my house.  Mr. Padeache told us that some had bombed New York. My mind instantly had images of Hiroshima an d Nagasaki and thought oh no. Then rushed home watched the news. My elder brother said that yeah we are next. I live in Atlanta.