Author Topic: QA of maps  (Read 2229 times)

Shreds1

• PGP
QA of maps
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »
Well, Digitalpaint never changes over the years. There still lacks a quality testing process of maps and which of those maps make it onto server rotations.

Mappers... listen... This game has been around for a very long time now as far as FPS gaming goes. 10 years, and maps are still being made to the quality of what would be a beta of maps. Compete with other mappers to make the best maps. Rate your maps in several categories.

Gameplay
Visual
Originality
Replay Value
Strategic Value
Overall

Have 7 other people and yourself test the map on a private server for a while. Critique the maps flaws, enhance whats right. Map the map in stages, not a giant "hope this works" mess.

It's always exciting to get a new map out there. My first map was a mess. My second map looked nice, but the game play was slow and people had more fun climbing a tree then trying to win. My third map was pretty and had some originality to it in design. However... while the map was in a figure 8, the layout was so confusing with coils and ups and downs that people just ended up in their own base over and over. I also forgot to add strategy to the map. My 4th map in design, never released, had great looks, fast pace and strategic areas, and much more friendly and thought out.

It took me 4 maps to get it right. Please, take your time when designing and do plenty of testing. Make the map plays amazing and make it look twice as amazing. No one is playing this game on a voodoo 2 card anymore. The lowest end card can handle anything you throw into a map (within reason and with a full compile). Learn the editor you are using. Use the vertex shifting. Line your textures up. Add in enough guns, balanced between good and bad.  There is a lot to mapping. It's art and skill rolled up with patience and testing. Please, do it right.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: QA of maps
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
+1 Nice Shreds

Hehe i am one who likes to climb that tree and camp my base :P

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
This are the maps?

1. tf ???
2. pball_shreds1
3. pball_shreds2
4. tranquilhavoc ???

I like pball_shreds2 :)
tf looks good, but more like a beta. So idk if its number 1 or 4 :P

Have u some textures?
rust_* ? I have only rust_b.wal and rust_rm.wal .

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »

Shreds1

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
whoa, I forgot about tf. That map shouldnt exist.
And Jit, I see your post, read it, but no one listens. I went to play the game again and couldnt take the rotation

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »
And Jit, I see your post, read it, but no one listens. I went to play the game again and couldnt take the rotation

And people wonder why I don't play much.  :P

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »
Game is virtually dead.  Drastic changes need to be made to save it.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:00:13 AM by Dirty_Taco »

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »
*if you want it included in future releases ;)

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:51:46 AM »
 yes yes, grass in brainstorm was greener years and years ago....