Author Topic: Economic Crisis Opinion Thread  (Read 3082 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
Economic Crisis Opinion Thread
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »
After my sociology class, I have been thinking about the world wide economic crisis.  I was required to write a short paragraph on the subject.  This is my opinion, please share yours. 
To save Knack the trouble, keep the discussion civil.  This isn't a discussion about anti-Bush and certainly isn't anti-US government.  This topic is about what you would do to over come the crisis and nothing more

In my opinion, the US needs to get out of the war.  We are spending too much money over there when we need to spending the money here.  We also need to get these gas prices under control.  Although they have come down, we need to start working out a way to get the Middle East to lower the prices.  Boycott the Middle East’s oil and use some of our own.  With the Middle East taking that big of a hit economically everyday should help in their decision to lower their prices per barrel.  As Barrack Obama has said, we need to fast track a plan to rid our country of our oil bound chains.  If we can accomplish this, we can begin to become a leading world power again.  Our industry and exports will improve but we need to keep the jobs here, not over seas. 

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Economic Crisis Opinion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »
It sounds like you're talking about an American crisis, not the current economic crisis.  Oil prices, the war or your upcoming election aren't as big as factors as some would like you to believe.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
1. War: non-issue. its going to be with us for a while.
2. gas prices: More control on speculators will keep prices in check.  One thing to note is that even after Ike hit, gas prices are still falling and Ike essentially had zero impact on crude prices.
3. Financial Market/Sub-price fiasco: Let the companies that are in trouble file for bankruptcy. The companies will be bought out by other companies al la JP Morgan Chase. The government needs to let the free market work.
4. Freddie and Fannie need to be shut down:  THey have outlived their usefulness. Their demise was predicted way back in 2004.

The financial market will work its way back to the top as was evident Tuesday by the market regaining 75% of its tumble from Monday ( which was mostly caused by computer sell triggers).

People that were stupid enough to get a ARM or no interest mortgage got what they deserved.  Time to start living within your means. Buying a house is not a right, it's a priviledge. Quit trying to keep up with the Jones's.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
If we can accomplish this, we can begin to become a leading world power again.

Remind me again... what are we now?

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »
the furthest thing from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz_NHAFGS0

i like listening to bill maher, even if he can be a bit of a pompous know-it-all at times. he does have some good points

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
It sounds like you're talking about an American crisis, not the current economic crisis.  Oil prices, the war or your upcoming election aren't as big as factors as some would like you to believe.
It isn't just an American Issue.  The Russian stock market was closed down for 2 days straight because their stocks fell so much. 

Knack:  I never have been against or for the war.  The war is just pushing us further into debt and we need to push along the rebuilding.

y00tz:  There are no world leaders as the world markets have all fell, together. 

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »
Garrett, XBain means you're talking about the economic issues specific to America, as opposed to those that the whole world is suffering.

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
It's been horrible having to drive over 50 miles and trying 42 gas stations every week to find gas here in Atlanta....minus the 10$cap I've come across when you do find gas.  >:(

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 04:22:23 AM »
It's been horrible having to drive over 50 miles and trying 42 gas stations every week to find gas here in Atlanta....minus the 10$cap I've come across when you do find gas.  >:(

That, as I understand it, is 100% the fault of the gas distributors that want to ration what they have until the production facilities are back online. Still doesn't make sense though... We have absolutely no issues getting fuel.

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »
It's a government experiment to see what would happen to extremely large city's when there is no oil......LMAO