Author Topic: Replacing Vista with another OS  (Read 2960 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Replacing Vista with another OS
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
I've read and heard in some places that when you downgrade Vista to XP the hard drive will fail.  Where would I be able to find out if a specific computer/hard drive model does this?

I ask because I'm helping some one out with computer issues, and she really hates Vista.  I don't want to do anything more to her computer that will harm it, or have her spend more money on it (long story, issues with roommate and changing the pass and deleting a bunch of stuff).

Any help is appreciated.

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Replacing Vista with another OS
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
I've downgraded a computer from vista home to xp with no problems. All I did was delete all the partitions and files from the harddrive and just ran the xp installation CD.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
Yea, I know it can be done easily.  But there are some HDDs that physically fail when Vista is removed.  I'm just wondering if I have anything to worry about with this computer.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:55:28 PM »
That is rubbish.

There is nothing in Vista that would perpetuate a hard drive failure if another OS was installed on a hard drive that had Vista on it.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
Seems quite hard to wreck a HDD by deleting files off of it. Meh, maybe what you read was from someone who deleted their harddrive with a magnet.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
That is rubbish.

There is nothing in Vista that would perpetuate a hard drive failure if another OS was installed on a hard drive that had Vista on it.

Just making sure.  I have heard of a IT class that tested this, and had them fail.  Although, I don't know how valid that is.  Thanks.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
Worked fine for me

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »
disable "native mode" in bios and reinstall it

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »
are you sure about your term "physically fail"? like knackwak said, rubbish. but im sure theres plenty of ways to make a downgrade unsuccesful, and have to reformat.