Author Topic: Newmap: Space Craze  (Read 3490 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Newmap: Space Craze
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:19:21 AM »
This is my submission to the GGC mapping contest.

-Capture The Flag.
-Has Mid Flag
-Designed for 2's 3's maybe even 4's.

Im happy to recieve any feedback on this.

Goodluck to all the other mappers!

-Rick

-Ps. Link is above the first screenshot =]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:27:46 AM by Rick »

Laged

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: Space Craze
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
The screenshots should be taken with fov 90 :P

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:48:23 AM »
hah n1 rick
[5$]

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
Very nice.  I like that it isn't just one side mirrored.  Requires more skill to do what you did.  I can play test it when I get home.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
<as a judge, I'm only going to give some broad comments on it as I need to stay impartial - good mappers helped me out last year at this time with advice, so I should return the favour if I can!>

Ok,

I really liked the asymmetric layout, thats a really nice touch. The corridor visual is really cool and I love the patterns on the floors.

Having said that, the floor patterns are sloppy in places and I think there are some compiling errors due to overlapping brushes or something going on. Also, I noticed you can get stuck on the slanted edges of the paths. The doors are tough to identify (although having them have open windows in is a nice gameplay idea). Also, the trim is mostly blue across the map, with only 1 room having red trim - is this intentional?

Theres a problem with having windows into space that break the VIS though, as you will be able to see corridors that render THROUGH the skybox map, kind of in the manner of a wallhack. This is possible to fix, even in the time you have left, so I hope you are able to.

- Dag

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »

This should be mandetory.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »
someone please post a .zip ? :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
<as a judge, I'm only going to give some broad comments on it as I need to stay impartial - good mappers helped me out last year at this time with advice, so I should return the favour if I can!>

Ok,

I really liked the asymmetric layout, thats a really nice touch. The corridor visual is really cool and I love the patterns on the floors.

Having said that, the floor patterns are sloppy in places and I think there are some compiling errors due to overlapping brushes or something going on. Also, I noticed you can get stuck on the slanted edges of the paths. The doors are tough to identify (although having them have open windows in is a nice gameplay idea). Also, the trim is mostly blue across the map, with only 1 room having red trim - is this intentional?

Theres a problem with having windows into space that break the VIS though, as you will be able to see corridors that render THROUGH the skybox map, kind of in the manner of a wallhack. This is possible to fix, even in the time you have left, so I hope you are able to.

- Dag

I tried puttin a skybox around the map, but "max patches" held me back. And yes, the sloppiness was from a compiling error, when I get home i'll try and fix that.

Laged and Cameron also pointed out some misaligned textures that I will need to fix.

Also by "The doors are tough to identify " Would a symbol of some sort help that out?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about getting stuck on some edges....maybe some clip brushes would work?

Oh, and the windows, I must've forgotten to change some of them. Will be fixed though.
hah n1 rick
[5$]

Alright, I will take that with Paypal.

Very nice.  I like that it isn't just one side mirrored.  Requires more skill to do what you did.  I can play test it when I get home.

Thanks. When i was working through the map I just thought of how boring 2 of the same bases are, so I tried to change 'em' up a bit.

Sorry about that, might take some more screenshots after school.

someone please post a .zip ? :)

I can't at the moment, but I'm sure someone kind here would.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »
.zip attached for those that wanted it.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
Online @ OTB pub and match servers :)

Rent: www.otb-server.de

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
First off, I like how it is not mirrored like others have stated above, but my main concern is that one team has an overall advantage over the other. Playing it will either reveal or dismiss those worries.

It looks good aesthetically from ss's, but when I loaded up the game, I didn't like how some of the patterns you did weren't actually in the wall, you just put them 1 unit high off the walls, maybe for further betas you could clip brush them and make them fit in nicely.

Overall, it's not my favorite out of the other maps submitted, but I would love to see it finished.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
I love your map rick :D  It looks much nicer lit :):)

-Cusoman

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
First off, I like how it is not mirrored like others have stated above, but my main concern is that one team has an overall advantage over the other. Playing it will either reveal or dismiss those worries.

It looks good aesthetically from ss's, but when I loaded up the game, I didn't like how some of the patterns you did weren't actually in the wall, you just put them 1 unit high off the walls, maybe for further betas you could clip brush them and make them fit in nicely.

Overall, it's not my favorite out of the other maps submitted, but I would love to see it finished.

I'm not sure what you mean about"I didn't like how some of the patterns you did weren't actually in the wall, you just put them 1 unit high off the walls" Could you show me a ss?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 06:08:11 PM »
I think he's talking about the second screenshot.  What you really need is some custom textures.  This map has the potential to look really nice, but all the dirt and wood doesn't really fit.  I'll give a more thorough critique after the judging.  In the meantme, I've uploaded the map to the beta server.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
i got lost :( need arrows or better indicators of where to go :]

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »
Horrible map.

/quit.