Author Topic: Left 4 Dead (Demo)  (Read 7726 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Left 4 Dead (Demo)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:07 AM »
I was just playing with Eiii. Got raped on the second level every single time. We had the luck of having a tank every game.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »
:<
Also! While playing with Zorch, he dropped. This made the server-goers sad. Then, to replace him, Ironfist pops in! Apparently unintentionally, according to him. :D

Fun times.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 10:50:51 AM »
I think I figured out why I was disconnected.  I forgot to turn off my torrents.  :P

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
I can't get the demo because my darn 360 got the E74 error the other day. >:(

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
PC?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »
PC?

My computer can't handle a game like that, I need a better graphics card.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
I would not get the game if there was no chance of new maps, mods, etc. Consoles take the community out of gaming, which probably one of the worst things you could do to games, as a whole.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
I would be playing the full game right now if I didn't have to write a 5000 word essay about Stalin :-(

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
Just write 'He's awesome' 2500 times.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »
I love Dictators!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
Hm, it's like they made a half-life 2 zombie mod and dumbed it down to the console level.  What's with this lobby crap?  Whatever happened to the good old fashioned server list?  It's kind of fun, but I question the replay value.  $50 seems like a lot to pay for what it is.  Sucks that you have to use steam to play it, too.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
Hm, it's like they made a half-life 2 zombie mod and dumbed it down to the console level.  What's with this lobby crap?  Whatever happened to the good old fashioned server list?  It's kind of fun, but I question the replay value.  $50 seems like a lot to pay for what it is.  Sucks that you have to use steam to play it, too.

Yep, I ultimately decided not to buy it just because it has too much of a console feel to it (i.e. it's a bit too simplified and arcade-ish). Despite hype over it being a dynamic gameplay experience ("Director AI"), the levels themselves are still very linear, and the little music scores start to take the fun out of unexpected attacks. It's a solid game, but it's not quite as groundbreaking as they'd like to make it out to be. I'm perpetually poor, so $50 isn't worth it for me.

I remain a big fan of CSS Zombie Mod. There are a few servers which generally have 50+ people (not bots) playing, which provides just as much of a zombie horde as L4D can provide. The game mechanics are definitely different, but since it's based on CSS, you get all the cool guns and stuff. You can even set up makeshift barricades with vending machines, etc.

Zombie Panic for HL2 is also really good. Ammunition is a precious resource, there's typically lots of teamwork to spread it around well, and it's darn scary to be hauling your greedy butt to the agreed-upon camping spot with your rifle, shotgun, and 3 pistols while you move at a snail's pace (more ammo/weapons = slower speed in ZP).

Anyway, I was hoping for L4D to be a bit less repetitive.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 05:37:27 PM »
I'd disagree with you on L4D being repetitive, to be honest. It's a zombie killing game. If you can't stand killing zombies the same way more than once or twice, it's probably not going to be the game for you. I know it's a personal preference, but I was able to put 10 hours into what amounts to (probably significantly) less than 1/10th of the game-- and that's without versus and such. This game will thrive if the level design is good, and given Valve's track record in that area (throwing out HL2. Bleh.), I don't think it's something to worry about. Plus, being on the PC gives you the modding community. Versus will only increase the replay value, hopefully by a significant margin.

I agree with you entirely on the musical queues, though. I'm not sure the game would be possible without them, but then that's indicative of poor gameplay design, so.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »
I'm waiting for the game to finish downloading. Someone gifted a copy to me. :D

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »
:(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
Talked to somebody at work who got it - he said it was fun, but not worth $50.  There aren't any new monsters -- just a bunch more levels to go through.  I'd get it if it were $20, but they're asking too much.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 10:11:39 PM »
IronFist, have you tried "Zombie Master"?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »
I played zombie master, and was pretty much instantly repulsed by it. The standard there doesn't seem to be high-quality maps. More so really, really, REALLY awful maps. Seriously, one I played on was just 'know where the things fall that kill you', another was 'move from room to room and shoot at zombies that slowly float at you with near-infinite ammo', where rooms were literally just chunks of brush suspended in the skybox, and the third must have been built by a second grader who LOVED neon colors.
If it had good maps? Maybe. I don't think *slow* zombies would work to well in an actual objective-based game (which it is), though. If the zombies can't get to you, then they just become a slowmoving area-denial tool. Actually, that could be an interesting mechanic if done correctly, but more likely than not it wouldn't be the kind of game I'd want to play.

All in all, the problem I've witnessed there is level design. I'm sure good levels exist, but I haven't seen them.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »
Call of duty 5, Nazi zombie. So much fun.