Author Topic: Edit: Overheating or Graphics card?  (Read 14543 times)

UDead

• Autococker
Re: LAGGING
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 05:12:11 AM »
ya, closing explorer is like closing windows, you are limited of that you can do. and to restart it you have to let everything load back up IE anti virus...

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
I've tried cl_sleep. If I can get my 100% usage down less would it help? And I will do those things when I get home Iron.

KI3S, hopefully DirectX is installed. Go to start>run>"cmd" and enter "dxdiag". You can then click the "save all information" button to save a .txt that you can upload. This will contain system specs, including video card specs.

This is not on paintball right?

The best generic advice is "reinstall windows"

How can I do that?

To see if it's just hardware related, you can try 3D overclocking utilities like ATITool, which can be used to put the card through a stress test (ATITool just displays a furry rotating cube which gets my card really hot). If your system freezes, then your video chipset is probably overheating.

Where can I find ATITool?

You can max out the CPU with something other than DP using prime95. If it crashes, you can be sure you have a processor heating problem.

And prime95?

Sorry for all the questions!

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
Straight to the point, not one of use is really giving you, KI3S good help. Sure we are giving suggestions, but we are not going into detailed to help you follow through with the advise. All i can say now is to deal with the lags or buy a new computer.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »
Google the programs.

www.google.com just in case you're too lazy to actually type it out yourself.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
1) If I can get my 100% usage down less would it help?

2)This is not on paintball right?

3)How can I do that?

4)Where can I find ATITool?

5)And prime95?

Sorry for all the questions!

1) Yes
2) no, click on the start button, then go to 'run' (if it's there *sighs at windows vista)
3) Not really sure, but get the origional windows disc and boot off that (google booting off a CD for more details)
4) http://www.google.co.uk
5) http://www.google.co.uk

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
Straight to the point, not one of use is really giving you, KI3S good help. Sure we are giving suggestions, but we are not going into detailed to help you follow through with the advise. All i can say now is to deal with the lags or buy a new computer.

Exactly what I was thinking, but you're the worst of all. You've repetitively told him just to go buy a new PC or piece of hardware when he doesn't necessarily need to do that. This thread is way too long and chalked full of useless repetitive post's. It's sad from that point.

Knacks said it best when he's told you he's running DP2 on a computer with less than half the specs of yours. It's all in the setup.

1. Lower the resolution
2. Lower the amount of colors (bits)
3. Lower the texture quality
4. Turn off the graphical features: reflective water, shadows, caustics, anisotropic filtering, etc. (those are all in the standard video options menus within DP2)

5. There are a few Q2/DP2 specific commands that might have a great impact on your situation;
 a.) cl_locknetfps 0, when on it limits the fps (frames per second, low fps = "lag") to how "fast" your network is.
    - type in "cl_maxfps 0" while your at it, this will allow fps to climb to whatever number you can reach.
 b.) cl_sleep 1, i cant remember who said it but in this thread someone mentioned DP2 being processor intensive, this will lessen the load on your processor and should give you more fps.

Do these things and if they don't significantly improve your fps/"lag" we'll help you find more solutions.

sk89q has a great website for DP2 information, and one page dedicated to players like you;
http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/reference/reducinglag
http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/reference/commands

Both before and after you enter these commands you should use other commands to show you any difference, as well as monitor current situations. These are;

cl_drawfps 1 - which it seems you have already done.
cl_drawpps 1 - puts a number underneath the fps telling you how many packets per second are flowing.
netgraph 1 - great tool that shows a graph at the bottom that shows you how your network is running. Spikes/large jump = bad. If you've got fps issues but a nice straight line on netgraph then we know its not network related.

As for the prime95 thing....don't go that route. I realize overclocking is tempting when something isn't working right and you think you can get free speed from your existing computer. You will almost certainly destroy your hardware. If you cant make an outdated FPS run well on a more than adequate computer lets keep a bit more perspective. If and when you decide to upgrade your hardware I will be more than happy to assist you in the destruction of the old components.

Good Luck and feel free to contact me.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »
I already lowered the resolution, texture quality; I've already turned reflective water off, Iv'e done cl_sleep. It doesn't lag anymore but I will do those other things. Now my problem is my computer freezes after 5 minutes of playing even without fullscreen. And then I have to restart the computer.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 11:44:37 PM »
Everything freezes or just DP? Try typing "ctrl+alt+del". Something might be overheating, open up the computer (take a side panel off) and check how much dust is in there. If it's excessive, especially on heatsinks, blow it off with canned air or your mouth and use a vacuum to suck it up.

Might want to try changing your video drivers (either updating or rolling back, if you have the most current).

Most importantly, try undoing anything you can remember doing just before this started to happen.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 05:06:22 AM »
never use a vacum on a computer, use the can air.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Yes mewa DP freezes and the screen looks all messed up and theres no way to ctr+alt+del to get out of it.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »
Then its probably not dp freezing, but something else as a consequence of the program. Try cleaning dust. I have similar issues when my graphic cards heatsink gets slightly clogged.

You dont use the vacuums brushes on the components themselve. Just get the dust into the air and the nozzle of the vacuum will grab them.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
Sorry to bring back a dead thread. Well I've had some time to work on this computer. I recently did:

all of these should improve your framerate:
seta gl_finish "0"
seta gl_anisotropy "1"
seta r_caustics "0"
seta r_reflectivewater "0"
seta gl_dynamic "0"
seta gl_stainmaps "0"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta gl_highres_textures "0"
seta gl_picmip "1" (0 is regular quality, 2 is most degraded quality)
seta gl_skymip "1" (0 is regular quality, 3 is most degraded quality)
seta gender "spacepirate"
you should also go into your video card setup and disable "Vertical Sync" in your GL Options
playing in a lower resolution will also greatly increase your framerate.

these should help your network connection (a lot of them are defaults)
seta cl_minfps "0"
seta cl_maxfps "0"
seta cl_locknetfps "0"
seta cl_cmdrate "60"
seta rate "10000"

In addition to all these I have turned off reflective water, lowered my resolution on my computer* and Paintball, I have lowered the amount of colors, and lowered the texture quality.

And I was pretty amazed that I could run Paintball lagg free. I had more fps then my cmputer that runs paintball, which I take as a good thing. My problem: I was able to shoot my gun, but the minute I shot someone, it froze. Lol. I just want to see if there something else that can be done instead of buying a new graphics card, since it doesn't lag anymore.

When it freezes the screen goes all messed up, it doesn't just pause and freeze, if that helps. I am about to run ATITool, DirectX, and Prime95 to see if that can show me my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:  I ran DirectX and there was no problems found in anything. I ran ATITool and my system didn't freeze, so its not overheating. I was unable to run Prime95. Not sure why I can't but from the two other tests I do not think it is a hardware/overheating problem.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:44:16 PM by KI3S »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Edit: Overheating or Graphics card?
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
Prime95 just tests the CPU, so that won't tell you if the graphics card is overheating.  I'm not sure why shooting somebody would cause a freeze.  Perhaps it was just coincidence?  Does it always happen when you shoot somebody?  Does it happen every time you shoot somebody?

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
Yes it always happens when I shoot somebody. If I'm lucky it'll freeze on the second kill.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Does it happen when somebody else shoots somebody?  Maybe it's an issue with a specific death sound?  There's not really a difference between you killing somebody and somebody else killing somebody.  It plays a sound, death animation, and displays a message.  I suppose there's the center print, but I doubt that would make a difference.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Hmm. Well i can usually get about 1-5 kills before it freezes. And I can test maps out perfectly on this computer, lag free, and without it freezing. As for your question on when someone else shoots, I don't think so. Sat in a couple pub maps observer, not moving and also following people. Listened to pretty much most of the sounds. No freezing so I'm gonna say it's only when I'm killing someone.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2009, 12:20:49 AM »
What about demos?  Can you watch demos without it freezing?

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
Yessir

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
Could you try playing logged out, please? It might be yet another bug I unwilling introduced while doing the stats system.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
Played logged out. Killed one person and got killed by someone and it froze. The map was airtime3 and it seemed fine except for the mid little hump was really laggy for me.