Author Topic: External HD  (Read 1189 times)

skitzo

• Autococker
External HD
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable external hard drive around the $120 range with (preferably) 250 GB+ space on it? I've tried finding one myself but can't seem to find a reliable one.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: External HD
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
I've had terrible luck with Western Digital, although when my 750g crashed and burned they did replace it with a 1 TB

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
did that cost you anything besides shipping to send it back for the replacement?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
Nope, and I didn't even pay to ship it.  They sent me a box with the 1TB in it,  and I used a label inside to ship it back.  The whole customer service experience just felt flaky...

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
feel like sending me a link for that? :D

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
I wrote above that I've had terrible luck with Western Digitals... click on KnacK's link and just find the junkiest 750g WD Caviar, if you truly insist.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
I think there was a thread similar to this a few months ago...

I found it to be more fun (and slightly cheaper) to purchase the external enclosure separate from the drive. I think the downside to this is you forfeit the warranty that typically comes with prebuilt externals (OEM drives = 30 day return).

I like this because you can carefully pick the drive based on newegg reviews. For example, Seagate has always been associated with top quality, and my 300GB drive has served me well. However, when I went to get a 500GB for my external, it turned out that the current models had an unusually high failure rate. So, I went with a similar Western Digital that had better reviews, and it's still serving me well.

I personally don't care for warranties, since they are only somewhat useful if you use full-disk encryption. I don't like the idea of sending in a drive full of sensitive data.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »
I personally don't care for warranties, since they are only somewhat useful if you use full-disk encryption. I don't like the idea of sending in a drive full of sensitive data.

A lot of the time if you have to send in a drive for warranty replacement, they will accept the cover off of the platters instead of the whole drive just so you wont have to worry about data security.