Poll

Do you own a PC, a Mac, or Both?

Mac
PC
One or more of each

Author Topic: Mac or PC or Both?  (Read 3865 times)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
Re: Mac or PC or Both?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
Strike me down with your anger.

Lets try again:
Does your number/stats from Dplogin.com alone matter at all?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »
I'm not angry, simply bored of idiots.

Does it matter at all? Well, lets look at what this thread is called. And then lets look at the purpose of the thread as outlined by Knack: 'I wanted to get an idea of how many of you actually own Macs.'. So my comment that we can ascertain the proportion of visitors to the community (both forum and 'shopfront') who are using Macs is a valid contribution. This thread is not 'how much demand is there for a Mac release of DP2'. As so many of our budding statisticians have pointed out, we can't accurate guage this from a forum poll as the sample is skewed.

Your initial question was 'Do you have any way for accounting for, or at least estimating, how many are actually in this group?', 'this group' meaning Mac users who take one look at the platform dependance of DP and leave. I don't know what part of my previous posts didn't cover this. Seeing as you rightly point out they almost certainly won't post on the forums, all we have are the traffic statistics. We can use these as a rough guide as what other reason would a Mac user have for hitting dplogin.com? Existing community members who are using Macs to keep up with the news will vote in this thread, hopefully. Who does that leave? Mistaken visitors (whom we can't really discount, but probably won't heavily affect the results) or those clicking through from various places on the net looking for more information on DP2. Which is what we're interested in knowing.

Chin up Mewa, you'll get there in the end!

- Dag

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
"...simply bored of idiots."
Funny how I feel the same way.

"As there have been a couple of posts regarding porting DP to a Mac, I wanted to get an idea of how many of you actually own Macs."
-Knacks original post, in its entirity.

"This thread is not 'how much demand is there for a Mac release of DP2'. " - The Doctors out of his Office.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 03:29:05 AM »
sigh, again you miss it.

My point about it not being about demand is exactly true. The other thread is about a Mac release of DP2, this thread is about how many of us have Macs. The two might be about Macs and mildly related, but Knack did NOT ask how many of us would like a Mac release. Simply who had one. If you want to make that assumption then it is you who is open to misinterpretation.

But ok, lets continue to argue about the only constructive suggestion so far in this thread and attack Knacks ability to conduct representative quantitive surveys,that'll get us far.

- Dag

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »
My point is how many will make it that far?
Exactly. The way I found DP was through a list of free FPSes. Next to each game they had what OS's they could run run on. At no point did I go onto the few games that could only run on mac as I knew there would be no point in going there (i know, common sense). So why would a 'more intelligent then me' mac user click on a windows-based FPS website? I dont think that a mac user would search google for 'free FPS'. They'd more likely search for 'free mac FPS' as 90% of FPSes are windows based.

Wow, I've never inserted more common sense into my post before.... I should never do that again....

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
Quick, lock the thread> This is getting outta control.

But before you do, I'd like to hear what Knack has to say about our interpetations.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »
Honestly?

I just wanted to know how many of us had Macs.

The pole had nothing to do with making a Mac port of DP.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 07:44:37 PM »
That's fine, my error then. Can I ask why it's in the DP section instead of "Other"? Thats where all my DP irrelavent stuff gets rerouted to.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
because KnacK is the moderator (who isn't perfect and doesnt always put things in the right places) and he decides where things go.

his opinion if FINAL.