Author Topic: The Villa - RiMiNi  (Read 8685 times)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa - RiMiNi
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
y00tz. thats amazing i really appreciate you taking the time to do that! :)

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
Lack luster effort.  I expected more from you.  A great foundation, work on it.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
Nice idea :), but I can't jump on the roof of the villa :( :P

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Prolly coz a celling is too low or some clip- brushes ;) or you canĀ“t double jump?xD

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
Heres b2: http://rapidshare.com/files/173761940/villa_b2.zip.html

Quite a lot changed, havent got screenies yet but i will tomorow probably. Remeber to put in the textures y00tz so kindly gave me, they look great. :)
the clipping was taken off the roof :D

A few suggestions of y00tz were not put in yet, like the roof over the trellis.
-The White Flag that is supposed to be in the middle building (with the 2 white barrels and white/gray checkered pad) still isnt working ???

There is in bsp a flag entity with "teamnumber" "0" and "count" ".4" but when i compile it, it just isnt there :-/

Knock yourselves out!
-RiMiNi

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
What an improvement! You've done really well with y00tz's textures, I'm impressed.

The only few things I can think of commenting on yet without playtesting are:

- The tunnel looks much better, but I'd suggest you don't try and do the red brick arch stones with brushes, it's too hard to make look convincing. If I were doing it, I would try making a texture which fits the arch and brickwork exactly, but simply hollow the inside of the arch out (so it doesn't matter what the texture looks like in this area). This is kind of hard to describe, so here's a diagram:

The pink section isn't seen as the empty space in the arch itself means there isn't any brush there to show that part of the texture. You need to apply the arch texture to the outward faces of each brush which makes up the arch. This way you can get a much more uniform and better looking result. Just make sure it tiles with the texture applied to the wall the arch is set into!

- The building I mentioned last time which was a small distance away from the others doesn't have a door.

- The barrels are huge, even more than normal DP maps! I'd prefer there to be no barrels at all - I'm sure you could think up some clever alternative. You've already used some of sk89q's trees, maybe some of these could go in the place of all these out-of-place barrels? I suppose they do give an instant visual cue as to which base you're near though.

Thats about it - I'm not sure what your problem with the middle flag is, I thought it might be that you didn't have a leading 0 on your value key (i.e. 0.4) but I edited the ents and tried it out and there was no change. Are you sure the entity marker is above ground all the way?

Good work!

- Dag

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 05:17:10 AM »
nice illustration...
+1000

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
I like it a lot RiMiNi,  I need your rscripts for the alpha parts on the models though.

Oh, and be sure to submit to here when you're done: http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/,  too few people are taking advantage of that site.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa [Beta 2] - RiMiNi
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
*sigh, dag i would whip up a texture but my harddrive is full and i cant open photoshop.. :-/ i've already deleted almost everything that isnt important, if someone could do that it would be very helpful :)

-adding a door is an easy fix
-as for the barrels I could probably replace them with a plant in a pot or something like y00tz suggested before
-fix white-flag
-fix archway
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:36:21 PM by RiMiNi »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
Looks really good, but, for me atleast, The lily's have a black bg to them. So does the tree. Is that because we need your rscripts?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
sk89q released an updated r_script shortly after releasing his vegetation pack: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=14241.0 - download the pack again and replace the r_scripts.

- Dag

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
i fixed all those things. i just encountered one problem with fixing the archway with dag's idea. When I make my texture (.tga) when i put it in the game the background still shows up black :-/ anyone fix that ? :P

i had the same problem with other .tga's i had.. so i didnt use them, otherwise there would have been some diversity between the doors and windows instead of them  all being the same.

Archway .tga Attached

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »
I've fixed the tga for you, should work properly now.

You have to make sure to sort out the alpha channel of the tga too - this is what the old arch was missing! White areas denote part of the mask that will be seen, Black is what will be invisible. The scale from black (0%) to white (100%) tells how transparent any given pixel of the texture should be.

If you use the magic wand tool in PS to select the blank areas that you want to be invisible, then select the alpha channel in the channel selector box, then select the 'selection' tool, right click in the selected area and click fill, then pick either black or white, it should be a straightforward task.

Anyway, I've done that for you and attached it below, good luck man!

- Dag

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa [Beta 3] - RiMiNi
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
Thanks Dag!
Everything that has been brought up so far has been fixed.
- I changed the large barrels to potted plants
- I left a few barrels at each base as colour indicators, the barrels were resized into cute little things  : ]

Heres beta 3!  :D

http://www.zshare.net/download/5298231851c06467/

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3R8DEMG6

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
Hey RiMiNi,

Really impressed with your progess on this map, it's coming along really nicely!

Couple of things:
 - When you use alpha textures like decals (such as the arch), make the brush mist so people don't get caught on them.
 - Also, as you only really want to be able to see one face of the alpha-textured brush, make the other 5 sides 'no-draw' by checking the flag box in the surfaces menu. That way you wont have little messy bits visible on the sides where you've tried to align the texture so its practically invisible!). I used to do that all the time till I cottoned on. From memory I'm not sure if this causes Mixed Face Contents errors though, if it does then you can always make a tiny blank construction tga that is totally transparent, and apply that to the other 5 sides. If you want to try that instead, just ask and I'll post mine on here for you to try.
 - you got the flags working! what was up with the flag in the end then?
 - there's a missing arch texture on the blue base side.
 - I love the new plantpots, so much nicer than barrels! Now there is the issue of thinking up some way to communicate what base you're nearest to quickly, visually. Perhaps like old fashioned hanging signs from some of the buildings or something?

Good luck!

Dag

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
Just a misaligned texture, you probably already know about it but whatever =P

justcall

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 07:47:17 AM »
Why its doing this bad textures on the wall?

http://screenshot.cz/VY2P/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:30:40 PM by justcall »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »
If you want to link to an image, make sure the image is on the world wide (according to Al Gore) internet so that we may all see it.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa [Beta 4] - RiMiNi
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
Couple of things:
 - When you use alpha textures like decals (such as the arch), make the brush mist so people don't get caught on them.

- Also, as you only really want to be able to see one face of the alpha-textured brush, make the other 5 sides 'no-draw' by checking the flag box in the surfaces menu. That way you wont have little messy bits visible on the sides where you've tried to align the texture so its practically invisible!). I used to do that all the time till I cottoned on. From memory I'm not sure if this causes Mixed Face Contents errors though, if it does then you can always make a tiny blank construction tga that is totally transparent, and apply that to the other 5 sides. If you want to try that instead, just ask and I'll post mine on here for you to try.

- you got the flags working! what was up with the flag in the end then? ------ problem was that i didnt have a gamemode applied to it.. which is odd because other maps that i've used a white flag i didn't have a gamemode set to it and yet they still showed up :-/ w/e they are working now :P all that matters

- there's a missing arch texture on the blue base side.

- I love the new plantpots, so much nicer than barrels! Now there is the issue of thinking up some way to communicate what base you're nearest to quickly, visually. Perhaps like old fashioned hanging signs from some of the buildings or something?

Heeere's _b4!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KE6VO3D8

http://www.zshare.net/download/5303531582d0efe1/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:43:39 PM by RiMiNi »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa [Beta 4] - RiMiNi
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
*beta4 bump