Author Topic: The Villa - RiMiNi  (Read 8684 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Newmap: The Villa [Beta 4] - RiMiNi
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »
The new color indicator signs are way too small for my liking, maybe a bit thicker.

justcall

• PGP
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 08:33:41 AM »
Why its doing different textures on the wall, but not the right?
To see it look here: http://screenshot.cz/I2LW/

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »
uhm? did you download the textures correctly?
some of those other textures should be ctp1, so if you downloaded that wrong or something .. ???

justcall

• PGP
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »
I downloaded them correctly, Im sure...

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
The new color indicator signs are way too small for my liking, maybe a bit thicker.

thicker looks funny becuase the sides are 'no-draw'..

and texture doesnt fit when you apply it to the side. Anyone else feel this is a problem?

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: The Villa [BETA 5] - RiMiNi
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
Since there are no apparent objections to the 'sign problem' and any other mistakes that have been pointed out, I've decided to go ahead and release this since I'm done working on it.

Thanks to all for help, and y00tz for those textures and all the ideas to make this map more realistic. :)

and if this could be moved to the Completed Maps child-board that would be great! :D

-riMiNi

BETA 5: --

Mirror 1 - http://www.zshare.net/download/53962490844a678a/

Mirror 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5W9X8JW3
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:14:31 PM by RiMiNi »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: The Villa [FINAL] - RiMiNi
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
Nice work.  Sorry I didn't get around to checking this sooner.  There are a few things you should really fix before making this final, though.

#1 - All models referenced in the map should use .md2 extension, not .skm.  Even though it uses skm models, if you use .skm, it will just download the skm file but not the .skp file, then it will crash because it has no pose file.  In short, nobody will be able to download your map off of the game servers if they don't already have the models.
#2 - The "requiredfiles" field should have the scripts files in there, as those won't download automatically.  The skm/skp files will if you set the func_models up correctly (see above).
#3 - High resolution textures should be put in the hr4 directory, and you should have low-res versions in the main directory.  Looks like you did this correctly with a couple files, but most of the textures are high-res straight up then scaled down in the editor.  This is bad for a couple reasons.  Scaling textures down increases the lightmap resolution and the amount polygons get chopped up (and thus decreases performance), and players who don't have systems that can handle high-res textures are forced to use them.

Also, try to get rid of all those stupid thumbs.db files before packaging the map (Pet peeve of mine.  I hate useless junk cluttering up directories).

Have you done any play testing with this?  I'd hate to see a decent looking map never gain popularity because of gameplay issues.  I've uploaded it to the beta server, but you should really fix the model entities, or it will crash everybody who tries to download it.

I've also attached a demo with some other suggestions for revisions.