Author Topic: newmap: Bonebreak 2 - b3  (Read 8304 times)

vague312

• VM-68
newmap: Bonebreak 2 - b3
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
*** Updated 3/21/08 ***

Bonebreak 2
- 2 teams
- Team flag CTF
- a few custom textures - a big thanks to RUST & the Quake Retexturing Project

Well i ran into a severe brick wall with the original layout so i decided to revamp the entire map from soup to nuts. With any luck i will have Beta 4 up soon.

Bugs to fix for B4
- Texture Blending
- Dress up doorways
- Add Weapons, paint, etc.
- Fix Spawns
- Fix rScript

Download
- B4 not released yet.

bonebreak_b4 Screenshots:
 - Just a Preview -

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:48:28 AM by vague312 »

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Re: newmap: Bonebreak 2
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »
looks good but i dont have time to download right now. Just from screen i say the rain onto the auto looks weird because like its only falling from a little area and you have big open roof

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »
i believe thats what you'd call "an artistic feature"

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
Currently I have the rain set to flow upward. It will look better when i make a small platform below the cocker and add the light flag to the texture.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Nice work vague, this is what I like to see. A lit, decently matured map, especially one with a bit of flair in it - someone's obviously been reading the rust tutorials!

It's kind of reminiscent of temple.bsp by Mac I think. I like the tone and lighting of the map, and the textures work well. It's almost got a retro Q2 feel about it.

The only suggestions I can think of are:

- when using custom textures, put them in their own directory instead of textures/pball, having a ton of custom textures in there is kind of messy and it's generally the rule that you may as well put them in their own directory so they are easy to find and distribute.

- the ramps up to the cap are a little narrow, I think it might feel less claustrophobic there if they were a little wider.

- maybe use flickering light entities to more accurately capture the lights from flaming torches?

- the thoroughfare is a bit sparse, it might be nice to have some more obstacles and whatnot lying around. Not necessarily barrels or crates, though.

thats about it, good job man.

- Dag

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
Was playing this map in your pub a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed playing it, although it didn't look like this(better) when i was playing =P

I love it!

Edit:
Code: [Select]
Instillation
=====
  1. Extract bonebreak2_b2.bsp to your "pball/maps" folder

2. Extract rainb.wal to "pball/textures/pball"

Uhm doesn't the community need the .jpg file of rainb, not the .wal?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
Uhm doesn't the community need the .jpg file of rainb, not the .wal?

The .wal is an image file.  It's of a very simple texture.  It'll do fine for the rain.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
forgot to add barrels when you spawn, unless you dont want people having barrels...

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:25 PM »
DrRickDaglessMD
  That site has pretty much been my bible since i started screwing around with bsp lol. Ill be sure to make a new folder for the custom textures with the next release. Im not sure about the flickering effect. Ill tinker around and see if it causes any lag.

Rick
  Good Games! That was the original bonebreak we were playing. This was originally going to be the pretty version but then i added this then a few of those and before i knew it Bonebreak 2. When i get a few small details fixed ill upload it to the pub for group testing hehehe. I included the .wal just because thats the way i got it from rust. At least this way someone else can use it in there maps without having to dig for the file.

now for B3,
  I Fixing a few misaligned textures and made the flag tunnel a bit wider. (That Helped quite a bit) Im currently in the middle of adding some more lighting to the top level and moving some boxes around a bit. Ill also be adding 2 upgraded barrels per team for the next release.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »
vague,

The only thing  I dislike is the ledge on the ramps leading up to the flags....

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Took a few hours but i found a way to add accent lighting to the upper level without blowing the r_speeds threw the roof.

Check my first post for the new screenshots.

***Edit*** BAH! ill realign the pillar textures in the base.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:46:36 PM by vague312 »

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:19 PM »
Uploaded b3
   I moved rainb.wal to a seperate folder. Im still working on an extra feature for the low center.

thanks for the input guys, let me know

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: newmap: Bonebreak 2 - b3
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:32:34 AM »
I can see a bunch of lights with no source.   Looks kinda weird.  But other than that, looks very nice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
Nice work.  I've attached a demo with some suggestions and uploaded the map to the beta server for play testing.  I'll send you a PM with the deatails.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks guys
Started adding more lighting to the center and fixed a few small things.

on a side note:
I started experimenting with wider areas the other day.
I was planning on using these areas in Bonebreak2 but it screwed up the maps current look n feel. I was going to delete the files but who knows it might be an inadvertent start to Bonebreak3.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vague312/bonebreak/sshot000-1.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vague312/bonebreak/sshot002-1.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vague312/bonebreak/sshot003-1.jpg

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Played the map today, and it was pretty enjoyable.  There were a couple points that seemed to be bottlenecks, but it still played pretty well with 4-6 people.  The ramp with the 2 boxes on it near the base entrance is one.  If you're on the high path in the center, you're about forced to drop low, so it's easy for somebody to hang around that ramp and hit people from both the high and low path.  Also, the middle is kind of a straight shot, so it's easy to get kills shooting straight across to the enemy entrance to the center.  The secret path is kind of cool, but perhaps it should be made a little more obvious.  The high/low paths seem to flow pretty well for the skilled players, but you might consider adding some paths suitable for new players to get up high.  Also, the ramps to the flag don't flow very well.  It feels awkward getting to the flag from below.

Oh, and some of the spawns don't have CO2, and I don't think there's much (if any) lying around in the map.  Other spawns give you 1 loaded co2, and some give you a loaded co2 + an extra. 

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »
Played on the beta server yesterday. ill add a few barrel stacks in the center when im done with the lighting. I tinkered around with the sun lighting briefly but it tends to screw up the area lighting in the rest of the map.

I started adding a second path to the upper level. It should help make ppl think twice about camping near the secret door up top. With how things are lined up players are more likely to find the secret door.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »
I'm not sure how long your map takes to compile, but I'd suggest taking a small room for a sample (maybe a base) so you can quickly play with the different sun lighting or sky lighting settings until you get something that works well (or not - but at least you won't have wasted a bunch of time recompiling the entire map).

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:24:05 AM »
map looking really good. Gameplay is weak.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:45 AM »
   Well i ran into a severe brick wall with the original layout so i decided to revamp the entire map from soup to nuts. Adding/modifying the new textures has been a long process but i think i might finally be getting somewhere. With any luck i will have Beta 4 up soon.

Updated my original post with the new screen shots - 3/21/9