Author Topic: New Map: Desolate Village !!Final Release!!  (Read 24952 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Desolate Village
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
Attached another demo and uploaded for beta testing.  Forgot to mention it in the demo, but the jail could stand to have some more light.  The color banding on the lightmap is pretty bad.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Will fix those things. The jail is meant to be gloomy, but if you really think thta it needs more lightning i can add it.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
Beta 5 finished and uploaded:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/desolate_village_beta5.bsp

-removed some barrels and crates, so now it's easier to strafe
-added ramps to the roofs, so now you can jump to the other roof  and and next to the base wall that you can jump over the wall (if this is bad idea, say and i'll remove them)
-added light to jail
-aligned yellow barrels
-made frames foor doors and windows

I didn't change that ceiling because concrete would be too light, so it would be less gloomy and look less like a sewer.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 05:34:40 AM »
 I'd suggest to make the spawns fave the direction which would be the most logical way to take, when you get some specific spawns. If you get what I mean.

When the player spawns with everything, then why not just make it so that the gas is already loaded? But add 2 big gases then :p. Because sometimes i reload on maps where i already have loaded gas, by accident :p.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
I could turn the spawns, but when i made 1. beta i didnt know about rotating spawns and entities :P And i could add loaded gas, and i would surely add second gas because i load it sometimes accidently myself  :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »
Ok, I recorded another demo with some general visual suggestions, then put it up on the beta server and recorded some game play since a bunch of people were on.

My first thought after playing it with other people: WAAAAY too many grenades.  Seems like there are two grenades for every person on the team.  Another complaint I heard was that the sky was too low.  Not many people took the low path, so it was a pretty easy (though slower) flag capture if you did take it.  Spawn angles definitely need to be fixed.  The beginning of each round was often disorienting.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing.  The sides of the jail are better now, but in the middle, all the players basically look black.  Not such a big deal since teams don't matter there, but it would be nice to have more light in the center.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
I'll fix those. I knew that i would have to raise the sky, if the ramps were good. And i'll make the ramps better. And final thing: was the map fun to play? I want to know it :P Some people have liked it.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »
Got a question: Would this be better looking ramp? (not exactly, but kinda like this)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 02:48:26 PM »
um it looks weird it would be better if they was not connected at top

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »
Heres beta 6:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/desolate_village_beta6.bsp

I made the ramps out of boxes and planks, now there are clips on sides of the walls and more light in the jail. Btw, i'm not going to change those ladders, because i like them wide :P

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
nice one error i seen. its only on one team side though not on other

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »
Going to change that soon.

terrible aim

What do you mean?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
I think a single, wide board might be sufficient for those ramps, and wouldn't hurt the r_speeds as much.  Something about them just seems odd or out of place.  They're a pile of boards, but so neatly placed... anyway, I've put the map up on the beta server and attached another demo.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
Beta 7:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/desolate_village_beta7.bsp

I've changed the ramps on the roof, that they now have one uniform board, instead of multiple boards. Other ramps i didn't change, because i didn't like it. I think that it doesn't matter if the windows were lower than they are. It only would change that someone could stand and shoot from there. But i pretty much think that this map is ready, except misalignments and that kind of things.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:26:35 AM by JeeJee »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
Cool - I've put it up on the beta server.  If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest playing it with a group of people to see how it plays before you call it finished.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:25 AM »
i think paths are uneven. everyone will go straight through the speed jumps. shazam33 for example do people really go low? unless noobs or a speed server

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
Jitspoe: I've played 4. and 5. beta with bunch of people and they seemed to work well.

Robbie:Like i said i've played this with other people, and not everyone took the high path. Many people went by  the mid way, which is fast too if you can strafe jump. But the low path isn't used much, what is a shame kind of. i think that the low route is just the best way to loose chasing people.

Btw People do take low path in shz33

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »
like i said noobs or your in a speed server

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
Uploaded onto White Flag Productions Server.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:57 AM »
I played this map on the beta server, and i noticed that when there are only 2-4players, the low path is bad because it's so easy to loose somebody chasing you. So how can i seal the route when there isn't enough players?

EDIT: I tested this map on the beta server, but then all the sudden the yellow flag disappeared! I don't have any clue why it happened. It didn't appear at the rest of the match time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:58:06 PM by JeeJee »