Author Topic: New Map: Desolate Village !!Final Release!!  (Read 24950 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
New Map: Desolate Village !!Final Release!!
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »
FINAL RELEASE

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/desolate_village/

Hello again! I made a new map, most of it on my spare time when i was ill. I hope u find it better than the tower siege... It's made from regular textures, but i have used Sk89q's models, link below.
http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/downloads/models/sk89q_plantlife.zip

Game modes are 1-flag and CTF.

Screenies (these are from 1. beta):

Hope u like it and give comments!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:32:43 AM by JeeJee »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Desolate Village
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Here is a different one.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »
Comments please! I have waited almost 2 weeks so im getting impatient.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
Well. um. I like the shrooms

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »
 Map well done.
Do have a few suggestions.
Dunno, haven't really played too much recently, but these barrels look massive. Maybe you should consider rescaling them. Not sure if i would suggest you to scale them to "real" proportions "the jits way", but definitly smaller.

There are many ways to get the flag, but even if you get the flag, campers might ruin the map, because not enough fast ways to get the intercourse out of there, but that is too big of a change for me to suggest anything.

Otherwise the map looks fine, would be fine to shoot some paint there.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »
I made the barrels with this http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=7956.0, so i thought they would be OK. But i dont know about the height. I think myself that they are fine.

And the flag thing, i dont really know willl campers ruin the map, because i havent played this with other people. And the center flag may be more problematic than CTF flags.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »
With all this new mapping talent, we could have a fresh mapping start for the new map format.  I would have to agree with blaa though.  I play tested with a few bots and it was difficult to actually cap the flag and kill the campers.  The scale of everything feels a little off too.  Hard to get a decent strafe jump going.  One last thing of a artistic note, try creating some custom textures for the furniture in the center rooms.  They look kinda goofy having the same texture. 
Over all though, map looks solid as a whole.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »
U may be right... When i tested it with bots it was like some times the flag was easily capped but sometimes not. And the house thing, i'm not really happy for the walls and furniture either, but i really didn't  know anything else to put, because i'm not good at making textures and i didnt have CTP texture pack..  But if u have any suggestions for textures, i will be more than happy to hear it.  :)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
Do you have the CTP now?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »
Yes, but i havent really thinked about it after downloading CTP. Mainly downloaded it for my new project

SIR MICKEY

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »
haven't played it but looks pretty good.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59:11 AM »
I've attached a demo pointing out some things you might want to revise.  I'll see if I can get it up on the beta server now as well and send you a PM with the details.

EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE: I just noticed you were using .skm in the func_model.  If you do this, and a person does not have all the files, it will crash the game for them.  You need to use .md2 instead (even if the models aren't in md2 format) so the download system will correctly handle the files and obtain both the skm and skp files.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 03:03:43 AM »
Okay, i'll fix those things. I'll change the format for the models and i'll add required_files key to the world spawn, which i forgot. BTW i made those crates with grid 8 and using that bigger square which is as big as the crate.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 06:15:14 AM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
The lighting still looks too bright/bland, and I think all of the yellow barrels are off on alignment (you should just be able to select them all, move them to where the texture is aligned, lock the textures, then move them back).  At least the models are fixed so people won't crash when they try to download the map.  I've got the new beta on the server for play testing.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
Now I got the sun work properly! I remade the whole sun thing, and look what came up!

Now I still have to work on that camping problem, it maybe easy or hard to solve, i dont know yet. If u have any ideas, please share them with us.

EDIT: From that 3rd screenshot you can see that I removed some boxes, so now you can strafe there by leaning to that wall.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:29:51 AM »
I uploaded 3rd beta now:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/desolate_village_beta3.bsp

Lightning and some texture faces and alignments have been fixed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »
Nice improvements.  I've attached another demo and put the map up on the beta server.  I think play testing is the critical part of this map now.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »
Ok. Going to fix those soon and starting to make jail. And now it really needs gameplay testing...
Btw i accidentally took reflect from the water in the basement

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Beta 4 here:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/desolate_village_beta4.bsp

- Made jail
- Team indicators for basement
- + some small things