Author Topic: Need another OTB Speed Server  (Read 11977 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Need another OTB Speed Server
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
You will not get better while playing on the speed servers.

You will not learn team play.

You will not learn strategies.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
I  understand that some maps can be that way.  But yes, I believe that I can get more skill by doing that than sitting there invisible to everyone, waiting for a 60 second count down.

I disagree entirely. Almost every game I've gotten good at has been from watching the good players in the server while I'm waiting to respawn. If you watch them with a critical eye you will learn more than you learn from actually playing.

This, of course, doesn't account for the fact that good DP players (few and far between) rarely play pub.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »
I have a correction.

You will become proficient at a few things:
1. Dieing
2. Lining/spraying
3. Whining when the opposing team camps your spawn and obliterates you and your team members every time you respawn.

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
Look, how many times do I have to say this.   I don't care about becoming a great player.  All I want to do is play, and apparently a lot of other players are in my boat.   I'm fine with you good players having fun in your skill learning servers.  I don't want to get better.  I don't want to learn strategy.  I don't want to have more skill.  I just want to play.   Many others do too.  That's why the speed server is the most popular amongst the noobs.  That's what we want to do.   Have you heard of supply and demand?  right now there is a demand for noob servers, and not enough supply.  That's what we want to do.   If you don't want us to play, then kill those servers and we'll go find some other game designed for noobs.

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
I have a correction.

1. Dieing
2. Lining/spraying
3. Whining when the opposing team camps your spawn and obliterates you and your team members every time you respawn.

I like lining/spraying, and I don't whine when the other team does it to me.  I say, good job, you guys got us.  That's what I would have done to you if I could, but our team didn't make it.  And we try again, and I'm fine with that.  I like it.  I'm not whining about the speed server.  I'm trying to get more of it.  I've been playing it for a long time and I enjoy it, and I am getting better at playing it.  That's what I want to do.   

I don't understand though, why my desire to play on the speed server attacks you guys who don't want to play on them.   I'm not trying to take away your server.  I'm just asking for more of my server.   Why do you guys keep attacking me on this and feeling like I'm attacking you.   Did you see the original post?  It's a very nice request for another speed server.  That's all.  I didn't say,  "take down the 60 second servers and add more 6 second servers."   What is the deal.  A simple little request and everyone acts like the end of the world has come.

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
I don't understand though, why my desire to play on the speed server attacks you guys who don't want to play on them.   I'm not trying to take away your server.  I'm just asking for more of my server.   Why do you guys keep attacking me on this and feeling like I'm attacking you.   Did you see the original post?  It's a very nice request for another speed server.  That's all.  I didn't say,  "take down the 60 second servers and add more 6 second servers."   What is the deal.  A simple little request and everyone acts like the end of the world has come.

You hit a huge nerve with the thread title alone, this is something that we have been going on and on about how horrid it is, and then you come in and say you love it, you want more of them, you want more of what some think will destroy this game and everything that makes it fun.

And you don't want to improve? That's another problem with the game lately, the majority of people don't want to work on anything, they're not motivated to participate in the community, they'd rather hop in and take without giving back, willingly throwing away their potential to build up the game, and, in that light, do we really need permanent newbies filling up speed servers if it doesn't help the game grow/evolve? If you're right, and they, like you, don't want to get better? Which means they won't help anyone else to improve/work on anything, and that hurts the whole game, the matching community, this very forum, the mapping portion, everything.

I hope you have a clearer picture of why everyone is arguing with you, maybe I'll join in later :D

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
stabbs,

How long as you been playing dp?  Maybe that will help alot of us get an idea where you are coming from...

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »
You hit a huge nerve with the thread title alone, this is something that we have been going on and on about how horrid it is, and then you come in and say you love it, you want more of them, you want more of what some think will destroy this game and everything that makes it fun.

And you don't want to improve? That's another problem with the game lately, the majority of people don't want to work on anything, they're not motivated to participate in the community, they'd rather hop in and take without giving back, willingly throwing away their potential to build up the game, and, in that light, do we really need permanent newbies filling up speed servers if it doesn't help the game grow/evolve? If you're right, and they, like you, don't want to get better? Which means they won't help anyone else to improve/work on anything, and that hurts the whole game, the matching community, this very forum, the mapping portion, everything.

I hope you have a clearer picture of why everyone is arguing with you, maybe I'll join in later :D

Now that's the first sensible thing I think I have heard on this whole thread.  That does make things more clear.  Thank you very much.

I'm sorry for the making this thread an attack back and forth.  I've been feeling mad at this whole Paintball game because of some of the posts I've read, and some that I've written, but it is not your guys' fault, it is my own.  I'll admit that I let my emotions of my own wants get the best of me and wasn't thinking toward the good of the game.  I'll also admit that what I said about not wanting to improve was not true.  I do want to improve, but, really I only want to improve on the speed servers.  I do like the speed of them.  However, having only been playing this game for a month (I guess it's not that long of time, not compared to how long most of you have been playing, but for me it seems kind of long.  I feel familiar with it and not like a noob, but, I guess compared to you guys, I'm probably still a noob), so, having only played for a month, I guess I didn't understand how it could ruin the game, and really don't still understand, but I do understand that I don't know as much about it as all of you guys, so I'm sorry for arguing in ignorance.  I want to say sorry to all of you.  If we can put all our fighting posts behind us and move forward from here working together, not looking back, that would be great.  I'm on your guys' boat now, not mine.

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »
So now as a different topic, and not wanting to start a new thread for this simple question.  I'm just wondering what all the -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 posts are in this thread.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15644.0

When the rules say not to write replies like that, why do people do it?  It must mean something,  but what?    I don't get it.  Call me a noob.  Can't get out of noob stage without learning the lingo and asking questions.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 08:15:35 AM »
Simply, when people say +1 or -1, it is their way of saying 'I agree' or 'I disagree'. As in, +1 vote in favour, etc...

Back on topic, I think people should be able to play on servers however they wish. Unless you own the server, you've got no right to dictate how it is configured. That said, I do agree with the the Eiii's, P!nks, Knacks, etc... in Speed being an inferior gamestyle.

- Dag

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 09:00:13 AM »
So now as a different topic, and not wanting to start a new thread for this simple question.  I'm just wondering what all the -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 posts are in this thread.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15644.0

When the rules say not to write replies like that, why do people do it?  It must mean something,  but what?    I don't get it.  Call me a noob.  Can't get out of noob stage without learning the lingo and asking questions.

We have forum rules? Where? :P

DrRickDaglessMD explained it good. It only says "i disagree", but in that topic it wasn't anything about a speed server. RoBbIe want have more jumps in paintball, but there is already a complete jumpmod of this game which is a lot of better if u want play jumpmaps.

The "[OTB] Speed" is great to play a few maps in the evening and have fun, but i agree with all others. There are too many 'low-elim-server' and of course, u can't learn to play this game on such a server. Ok, u can learn to camp, but that is like nothing :P
The answer of ur question stabbs: We talk about it. If yes, u will see it in a few hours.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
if no too bad just go out and try to learn how this game is actually played

RiDe

• Stingray
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 02:21:49 AM »
RAZZLE DAZZLE PLOWS OTB SPEED.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:20 AM »

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
I have a correction.

1. Dieing
2. Lining/spraying

You are soo right...I play at [OTB] Speed many times and all I see s campers...I don't get it, I play there and don't camp and im always on the top spots!

You will not get better while playing on the speed servers.

You will not learn team play.

You will not learn strategies.

An you also got a point there because when i go to other server I don't last a minute alive...and me and my teammates everytime we make a match we lose or win by very very few!! I'm going to start going to other servers but i also think 60 secs of respawn is too long...to me perfect time is 20/25 secs

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
If you play Speed, you have to go get caps and always win the game for your team. It's not *that* hard actually, but only 2-3 regulars (incl. me, or at least, due to my horrid ping, on some maps/during some hours) can do it. That *does* require strategy (you obviously can't just prance right in and walk right out unscathed), skill, and speed (lots of speed).

But like I mentioned, very people try to do it / can do it.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
sk89q: agreed

In some ways otb speed is a needed server. It helps draw ppl in to play the game n keeps most of the campers in the same server. Thus keeping most of them off the other servers.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15411.0

DOXY

• PGP
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »
I've  been playing on 60 second servers all the time, and it's just barely getting to the point where I don't imediately die five seconds into the round.  I was feeling pretty good about the slight improvement in skill when I entered the speed thing one time...

It was like the first day all over again.  Paint was coming out of everywhere and I never got to see who killed me.  I wouldn't last five seconds per spawn, and it was complete chaos.

I like the 60 second servers.  I like chase-camming the guy who killed me to see how he plays and how he managed to pop me so far away.  I like watching between spawns and learning how others do it.

I like the slower pace, the sneaking around listening for footsteps, the whispers to and from your team-mates.  If I had more time to game around I think I'd even like clan matches, if just to get more of that kind of play-style.

The speed thing is to much "overload" for me, and I'm not suited to it,  but more power to ya I say.  If that's what you like.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
The second server is online, but if we don't see enough people on both server in the next two weeks we remove the second one.

[OTB] Speed 1 - otb-server.de:11111 (or 92.51.145.48:11111)
[OTB] Speed 2 - otb-server.de:22222 (or 92.51.145.48:22222)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
The Pubs aren't full because the Speedserver and when now exist a second speed server, the pub's will die.

I understand when people want "fun" and not "waiting" but in my opinion the speed server destroy the Game.

Where are the good old times, where pubs are full and the elim by 30 / 60.