Author Topic: Need another OTB Speed Server  (Read 11955 times)

vague312

• VM-68
Re: Need another OTB Speed Server
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
eh theyll catch on after a while. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
We can close the speed server, but i think there will be a new one from someone else a few days later.

The only thing, we can make against it is to implement an exp points system with some minimum requirements (like elim 60, flagmustbeatbase...).

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
i see there is another otb speed server YAY :D:P

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
or on all server sv_login 2

so the accounts will be implented completly.

2much people without account

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
We can close the speed server,
Nonsense keep a single server up. When it reaches it full 32 players players are given a choice. Check out the other servers or dont play. granted most just wont play but those few will still checkout the other servers.

+1 for flagsmustbeatbase

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 02:36:23 AM »
i see there is another otb speed server NOES :(
I fixed it for you.

painted

• PGP
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 05:59:39 AM »
I agree with the new OTB speed server making...i mean... u tell Ur friends or clanmates to meet there and suddenly its full and no clan game for anyone...it has happened to me...but in other hand It will probably be full as the other one theres millions of players in there and its not another server with 30 players max limit thats gonna stop them from filling the server...

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
What you need is a system to entice people to go to the other servers.  Perhaps a rating system.  What if you could move up rankings by making a certain amount of kills, but the only kills that counted were those on servers that have a 30+ second respawn.  Any server with a respawn less than that gives you no ranking.  So those wanting to get a higher ranking for their account would only play on the Pub servers.  Also, this would entice people to stick to one account and stop creating multiple, since their ranking goes with only one account.  You could give the ranks names, like Soldier, Colonel, Captian, General, Demigod (these were actually the ranking names used in Descent II, so you could come up with your own), and whatever else could be in between those.   I think the idea of ranking has already come up, but the idea of having ranking count for specific servers hasn't.

In fact, you could just nominate specific servers as "ranking" servers.  And the rest would just be speed, or personal servers that someone has started.  Maybe servers have to be approved to be marked by the administrators as "ranking".

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
Yeah.  That's where I saw it.  You can see that I already voted for a it a while ago.  Anyway, I'm just adding to it that only certain servers give ranking points.

Alonjar

• PGP
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:14 PM »
I think part of the problem is the types of maps that are played these days.. I just started playing after being away a year or three, and it seems to me the trend is moving towards large, complex, confusing maps with tons and tons of paths and obscure jumps.  The result is that new players get easily confused, lost, or unable to even find the enemy who are flying over their heads or dipping off into some back tunnel.

Back in the day, the maps were much more simple and in your face... arctic, shaz, sandtrap, airtime, blitz, sandpit, etc etc, hell even siegecastle.. the paths were easier to understand, and there was always only two real primary ways to go.  So if you could do the jumps, you certainly had an advantage, but it wasnt crippling if you couldnt.  The maps were much smaller, so even with a 60 second elim time, chances are the round would end much sooner than that.

Back when I used to run eR33t servers, I certainly noticed that the speed-style server was always full... but I didn't have a shortened elim time, I just loaded the rotation with small, speed-ball style maps.  When I'd switch to a map like castle1, half the players would leave.

So maybe the real issue isnt respawn time... its the maps.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
I disagree, learning maps is one of the great things about playing new games that come out. Its even better with DP2, because you don't have to rely on a new game entirely. The maps just simply keep coming.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »
Most older players like Alonjar enjoy the slower paced smaller maps, but if you ask someone who started 3, 4 or even 5 years ago, the newer maps are what keep our interest and make gameplay fun for us.

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
In fact, this is a game and a game should be fun to play. If you have fun running around lining, dieing and again and again, no big breaks, no waiting, the speed server is perfect for you. Many people actually wouldnt play digital paintball without the speedserver. Others would, thats true, some people would play on "normal" pubs a few of them would become active parts in the matching scene. But they prefer the speedserver. Why dont just letting em have the fun?
I also know a lot of people who started playing on the speedserver and now beginn to enjoy playing on the pub servers, joining clans etc..  Youre acting like the speedserver concept is the source of all evil or something - thats just not true guys. I let you think what you want.. i have no problems with it.. but pls think twice about what youre saying or thinkin, dont just go with the flow..
Im not trying to defend anything, i just dont need to defend anything. I just try to give you another view.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »
Every now and again, when I'm immensly bored of getting n00bed on arctic pub, I just have a 5min spree on the speed server, just for the fun of it. Then i just go straight back to the normal pubs for some serious playing. Plus, you can't even see half the chat on the speed servers and it's less sociable and you don't get to know people the same way you do on the long spawn servers. 60 secs is god, in serious matc scenes. But for pubs, 30 secs is bearable, and playable.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
Every now and again, when I'm immensly bored of getting n00bed on arctic pub, I just have a 5min spree on the speed server, just for the fun of it. Then i just go straight back to the normal pubs for some serious playing. Plus, you can't even see half the chat on the speed servers and it's less sociable and you don't get to know people the same way you do on the long spawn servers. 60 secs is god, in serious matc scenes. But for pubs, 30 secs is bearable, and playable.

serious playing.

For me, for someone who doesnt pub much, that 30sec bullexcrement is bad. Either 60sec with good players (doesnt happen much) or 5sec respawn in a 16v16 hardcore paintfest.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
But I agree with i_am_a_pirate in one thing, in spedd you don't socialize, wich I think it's important.

I never talked to anyone since I started going to pubs I now talk to some of the best players...

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
I never talked to anyone since I started going to pubs I now talk to some of the best players...

I think speed servers just won 1 more user.

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
If you want to be able to talk to people in the speed servers, make it so that the option to show "Chat Only" actually works.  I've set the chat to do people chat only like 5 times, but it still shows who killed who and all that.  In a speed server, sometimes I do want to talk to people, but I can't because the "Chat Only" feature never works.  Has anyone else experienced this?

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
In the current OTB Speed server, we need more maps.  Getting bored of the same maps over and over.  I feel like I play the same thing all the time.  There are some great maps in some of the other pubs, but I'm still enjoying the speed server the most.