1 (2.9%)
Jazz
3 (8.6%)
Classic
0 (0%)
Other, what is it?
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Music genres  (Read 4916 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
Music genres
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
Question is pretty simple: What is your favourite music genre? You can post why you like it and what are your favourite bands/artists in it.

My favourite genre is metal and from bands: COB, Kalmah, Death, SOAD, Norther, Kotiteollisuus etc... Pretty much everything in death metal and like that.

paintwaster

• PGP
Re: Music genres
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
METAL ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
Hardcore techno - there isn't really a definitive name, it's like happy hardcore without the lyrics. And with more kick.

Here's a sample from Ultravibes - intercourse You
http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR228194_1.mp3

Dougal & Gammer - Don't Stop Go!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9TprBVNHQr0

Gammer - Bust
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3zX9Mv4yQ

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
My playlist

Voted for metal.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »
God dammit. Just realised that i should have added some other bands to my llist when i was looking at blaa's list... ::)

BTW: Blaa you like scandinavian bands?

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
It should be allowed to have 2 choices...in my case metall and rock...voted out metal

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
It should be allowed to have 2 choices...

Yep, was in my mind but then i decided to put only 1...

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »
Classical...
Paganini
Haydn
Vivaldi
ect...

Classical has:
The most talented musicians
The most talented composers
The most intense and complex songs

Although I am a lover of metal, nothing comes close to classical.

Opps forgot...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3D_ujMjtM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph8PCOYnxZI
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:46:18 PM by S8NSSON »

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »
Classical...

Then.. Why you didn't vote for it?? But you're right, classical has:
I can listen to classic but i couldn't sit in a concert for an hour.

Btw Jazz drummers are the best in the world.. No other reach that high in the skill

eMo

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Post hardcore & Rap

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
Nintendocore.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
classic rock

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
Classical has:

i disagree. What makes a musician who plays classical music more talented than a emcee or an jazz musician? Same for composers. Dont you think, that some dream theater songs (well.. its kinda progressive metal which has very much in common with classical) or free jazz pieces are complex too?
Imo you cant generalize things like that.

I think every genre has its own advantages or disadvantages, but any musician who can move peoples feelings is talented.

As for myself i dont like classical. In very much ways it has something math-like. So does metal in some cases (shredding over shredding :/ ).

I listened to blues, punkrock, metal(core), jazz and hiphop (actually Rap..) and i pretty much like all of it. I also like some classical pieces. Every genre got good tracks and got bad tracks, got good musicans, got bad musicans...
Atm I more into Jazz and Rap(good rap..), but that changes every now and then.

Dukky

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
In general, Power Metal - That would be Sonata Arctica and Dragonforce, for example.

However, I like songs for the song - not for the genre. I will never buy a new album by a particular band, because normally I do not like any of the songs. I only like particular songs, which can come from any genre.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:25 PM »
Nintendocore.

I googled that and was pleasantly surprised, thanks for the recommendation.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »
I voted Techno - Hardstyle all the way baby!

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Moshed...misguided sole...
I never said all other musician, composers, etc... were not talented. There are many talented musicians and composers out there today, relatively speaking.
Jazz is probably the only forms of music that can stand on par with classical.

With the symphony you can't just spit on paper and 100 instruments will just magically sound good together. You have to know how to form voice. I am only marginally knowledgeable on the formings of classical pieces, enough to know that it takes skills beyond anything else accept maybe jazz. The times were different too. If you were a good composer that was your job, be it for a king/queen, or in freelance. You would know things about music that most musicians today have absolutely no clue.

To not recognize the superiority of the classical composer, and virtuoso musician, over other genres can only be explained by ignorance of the genre.

I am metal to the core. I love Slayer, DeathAngel, Possessed, Venom, Sabbatch, Maiden, Judas Priest...even Slipknot, and some of the new intense stuff. But I ventured out long ago and educated my ear on this "classical" stuff I heard about. Beethoven's 9th was the first classical CD I ever owned. Then Haydn. Then I found Paganinis 24 Caprices for Solo Violin in Am. Just pickup, or download, Paganini's 24 Caprices for Solo Violin. Absolutely astonishing composition unlike anything.

Come on...just listen to what's going on in this simple little piece. You can't argue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKkDt7cjQY

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
Moshed...misguided sole...
I never said all other musician, composers, etc... were not talented. There are many talented musicians and composers out there today, relatively speaking.
Jazz is probably the only forms of music that can stand on par with classical.

you said, that classical has the _most talented_ composers etc. I disagreed with that ;).
I know that writing a symphony is something different than playing a guitarsolo over a ordinary rock song with no mode-changes or writing a rap, but to be good at any of this, you will need talent. And as for myself i cant say the musician who writes a symphony is more talented than the emcee.
Let's take the example of a fugue. The maintheme has to sound good with the contrapoints, the dux voice has to fit with the comes-voice, Engführungen, Umkehrungen, ( i dunno, whats that in english) augmentation and dimitation have to fit.. if you can write a piece like that, thats amazing, but if you can write a rap which flows, got a message and is lyrically great, thats amazing too :).

What i'm trying to say is: i agree, that classical has some of the most talented composers/musicians ever. But i also think, that any other genre has musicians which that much talent too.

Come on...just listen to what's going on in this simple little piece. You can't argue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKkDt7cjQY

i dont like it :(. I can see the passion of the artist, but cannot hear it. but that is just aesthetics, and personally i dont like classical :).

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
I voted Jazz. I love to listen to it while I study, I love to listen to it while I play, I love to listen to it while I read...I love it.

Miles Davis is my favorite.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »
Not true S8N, although I mostly agree with you.

Classical definitely has the most talented composers, by far. That being said, instrumentalists go beyond genres, as the most talented ones you can find all over the place. That can also depend on what aspect your looking at when you judge a musician, that being said, classical still has some of the best instrumentalists.

And as for me, funk. I picked jazz because it's the closest, and I do enjoy jazz a lot;.