Poll

Should there be less forum moderation?

Yes
28 (48.3%)
No
30 (51.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Poll: Should there be less forum moderation? Please Vote.  (Read 9046 times)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
Poll: Should there be less forum moderation? Please Vote.
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
Are there too many; locked posts, banned users for insufficient reasons, hovering/intimidation (eye in the sky maneuvers)? Should the forum be a freer place to express ideas, and less strict "parenting"? If so, vote yes.

If you think everything is perfect the way it is now, Vote No.

Bix made an informal count of opinions of his last few threads and came of with the number of 19/9, in favor of change. I made this to get a larger sample and more accurate number.

Olbaid

• Autococker
Re: Poll: Should there be less forum moderation? Please Vote.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
Yes.

Keep up the good work jitspoe and y00tz

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
Good post Mewa.

Keep up the good work jitspoe and y00tz

QFT

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »
 I think that this poll directs people to vote for yes...

So obvious that the actual question might as well be: You like knack?

I ignore this poll..

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
lol

idias

• Autococker
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:17:49 PM by idias »

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »
+1

idias hasn't been around long enough to know what the +1 means.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »
I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to explain the context for people who might not understand the word "moderation", or somehow dont fully understand the question. If you know of a more "fair" way of expanding on the base question, let me know.

This post in my eyes has as much to do with knack as knack has to do with dp forum moderation. Every forum moderator here will be responsible for their fair share. Is that out of line?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
Not as simple as Yes or No, the results of such a poll are pretty much worthless.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Youre making this more complicated that it needs to be. It is that simple, should there be less forum moderation. answer that question first and then move onto more detailed ones.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:26 AM »
Mewa, your first post contains very biased information in regards to explaining the intent of your message. You don't give out surveys asking people questions and then follow it up to by attempting to influence their choice.

Furthermore, the negatives of a situation are always more prominent than the positives. People with negative opinions tend to be more vociferous because they believe there actually IS something wrong. By justifying their so called "negative" opinions, it often drowns out the simple, yet often overlooked positive benefits of the situation.

Also, as Lekky said, it is a very delicate situation, and could thus use more voting options. 

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
I voted NO because my cup is half empty.

e4g1e

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 06:11:41 AM »
Ooooooh so close but "No" has seemed to take the lead i wonder who will win  ;)

half empty.
why not half full :( but u r the s8n's son lol
~bb e4g1e

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
I am not voting yes or no, but will give my opinion. I have not been around a lot lately, but do check in now and then and have noticed a number of locked threads.

My view is that bans should be used for individuals rather than locks for threads. If someone uses personal attacks in an otherwise legitimate thread then discipline that person. Don't punish those who are discussing by locking.

If the opening post in a thread is a personal attack then a lock is certainly warranted.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
Another "No" voter here.

Get over it, seriously.

I moderate a local forum of about 500 members. I'm fairly strict and uphold the rules that were given to me. I feel what Knack is currently going through, and it even made me give up my status once. There were just too many little girls that got upset that they got punished for not following the rules. Didn't need all the negative attention for doing what I was asked to do by the admin. I don't have the power to ban on my board, but I do delete, lock and remove topics/posts that violate the rules that are so clearly stated.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »
Would someone show me an example of a more fair to ask this question. It's really pretty simple, I tried to define "moderation" for those who might be confused by it's context, not influence opinions. If you want to stick by your wild accusations, you can.

Like I said before, this isn't supposed to be a very in depth look at the issues of forum moderating. If people vote "yes" here it should be an indicator that this issue should be looked at further. Then the other, more detailed, questions can come out.

I'm also pretty sick of hearing people criticize those who bring up issues of change as "whiners". Cola if you want, I can post hundreds of links of you truly whining and complaining like a little papas girl. In the meantime realize that just because someone doesn't agree with how things are done now and are looking to change it, doesn't automatically make them a "whiner" or beggar. This is an immature personal insult on some pretty real topics.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
I'm also pretty sick of hearing people criticize those who bring up issues of change as "whiners". Cola if you want, I can post hundreds of links of you truly whining and complaining like a little papas girl. In the meantime realize that just because someone doesn't agree with how things are done now and are looking to change it, doesn't automatically make them a "whiner" or beggar.

This is an immature personal insult on some pretty real topics.

The things you are saying such as "complaining like litlle papas girl" are an immature personal insult!

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »
Cola if you want, I can post hundreds of links of you truly whining and complaining like a little papas girl.

I'd really like to see that. But, let's leave that to PM since it's not relevant to this thread.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Anyways, no matter how you explain the point you're trying to get across, you need to realize this is going nowhere. What do you hope to accomplish that the other 8 threads didn't?

You're wasting your time, and space on this forum. If you're upset about how the moderators are moderating, then follow the rules, or gtfo. It's really that simple. No matter how you try and explain it, or try to get around it, it all comes back to rules. Follow them and there are no problems. Plain and simple.

How about instead of making threads complaining about how strict a mod is, you abide by the rules. If you haven't figured them out in the time period you've been around, then I guess there is just no hope. Good day to you sir.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 03:53:12 AM »
I'd really like to see that. But, let's leave that to PM since it's not relevant to this thread.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Anyways, no matter how you explain the point you're trying to get across, you need to realize this is going nowhere. What do you hope to accomplish that the other 8 threads didn't?

You're wasting your time, and space on this forum. If you're upset about how the moderators are moderating, then follow the rules, or gtfo. It's really that simple. No matter how you try and explain it, or try to get around it, it all comes back to rules. Follow them and there are no problems. Plain and simple.

How about instead of making threads complaining about how strict a mod is, you abide by the rules. If you haven't figured them out in the time period you've been around, then I guess there is just no hope. Good day to you sir.

Couldn't have said it better.

Ok, so at the time of posting, the vote stands at 27:23 against. I think you should tell us when the poll will close. Or are you planning to let it run forever in the hope that it turns your way? It seems that the democratic vote is against you, and I sure as hell know we're all sick of your iconoclastic bent of late, so set a date for this poll to end, and if 'no' is prevalent, lets just let it lie.

- Dag

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 05:47:02 AM »
Current poll status
Yes: 23    No: 27

I think this should end now, 50 voters is good enough I think.