Author Topic: Trouble Falling Asleep  (Read 7461 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Trouble Falling Asleep
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:58 AM »
It generally takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep each night.  I think it's mostly due to a hyperactive mind.  Any suggestions?

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Trouble Falling Asleep
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:34 AM »
I've got a similar thing going on-- if you're not already, read for an hour or so in bed. It keeps your mind from jumping around too much. Might I suggest "The Moon and Sixpence"? It's past copyright, so it's free, too.
I dunno, do a couple really intense math problems before bed. Whatever'll get your mind in line for a bit, but reading is probably easier/better than that. Get a dog or something and cuddle it! They're adorable and sleep-inducing.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:58 AM »
I have the same, although not as bad as it used to be. Couple things help me anyway:

Use your room only as a place to sleep/sex. Doing other things like playing games, watching tv etc makes it harder to think of it as a place to switch off, and you associate your bedroom with activity rather than sleep.

Don't eat just before going to sleep (although I find a glass of cola helps :/)

If you're thinking about anything in particular while trying to get to sleep, close your eyes and image a big roller bin in your mind. Put whatever you're thinking about inside and close the lid, then roll the bin out of your mind (amazing).

Light reading is good too.

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »
that sometimes happens too me, what I do is just watch tv for a bit until i start to get tired.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:22:51 AM »
switching off is the key term.

Once I am in bed,  I practice breathing exercises for a few minutes: slow long deliberate breaths. This last for only a few minutes.  Then I envision a light switch on a wall and I mentally turn it off.

After that, my wife says I twitch once or twice and I'm out cold.

THis method worked from my father and I have been doing it for years.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
I've tried reading, but that just means it takes an extra hour (or whatever time I spent reading) before I fall asleep, and sometimes it makes it worse, because I'll be thinking about all of the stuff in the book.  Perhaps I'll try the light switch thing tonight.  Thanks for the suggestions.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
 I sometimes have trouble falling asleep as well.

DONT DRINK COFFEE BEFORE BED TIME JITSPOE

eMo

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
marijuana cigarettes

OR.

count sheep ;)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
marijuana cigarettes

Make sure you wash down your oncoming cancer with some nice warm milk...

eMo

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
Make sure you wash down your oncoming cancer with some nice warm milk...

OT:
marijuana doesn't contain any carcinogens.

back on topic,
Try this out, http://www.placebo.serv.co.za/?page_id=7
They are mp3's that play white noise for a specific amount of time. I used them once and it worked like a charm.

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:44 PM »
dont pay attention to the time convince yourself that it is early at night i do that sometimes too

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
sometimes I listen to some soft music while in bed. After about 5 minutes I feel quite drowsy and relaxed so I turn the mp3 off or just take the ear phones out and go to sleep.

Make sure you're cozy as well. If I go to bed in a somewhat unmade bed, I find it harder to get to sleep.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »
OT:
marijuana doesn't contain any carcinogens.

Inhaling smoke of any kind is obviously not fantastic for you, but yeah, cigarettes are many many times worse than marijuana cancer-wise.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »
Close your eyes and imagine being weightless in an infinite white space. Helps me greatly.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:48:58 AM by P!nk »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »
This probably won't work for you, but around 3-4 bottles of an energy drink (specifically Bawls), and I'm dead tired.

:P

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
* KnacK is thinking  Rube Goldberg device to whack him in the head when he isn't looking....

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
marijuana cigarettes

[...]
+100000000000000000xE100

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »
I had this problem a long time ago.
Here's how I not only conquered it, but discovered I could control my dreams as well.

It's all about focus and concentration. Pick a subject. Doesn't matter what it is. A lot of times I will write a story in my mind instead of thinking in the real. Just think about your subject and refuse to let your mind wander. Keep your focus and concentration narrow. Your dreams, if you have any, will surely be based off of whatever you concentrate on so choose wisely.

I have long decided that I could control my mind. It's really a practice that goes way back to the days of pretending not to care about girls and acting like a cold-hearted SOB. If I don't like what my mind is thinking and focused on I have developed the ability to force it elsewhere. It takes me about five seconds to completely detour my mind off any subject now. It used to take longer back in the day.

If you consider yourself of average or above intelligence then you've probably already wrestled with you being smart enough to have power over you. You can do it. You just have to know you can.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
I have a friend who had this problem, he went to go seek some help and got the idea of waking up earlier and exercising. It makes him tired earlier and when 9-10 comes around hes tired enough to fall right asleep.