Author Topic: New Map: Chainlink Canyon -+-(NOW IN BETA 3!)-+-  (Read 6897 times)

Lapppy

• Stingray
New Map: Chainlink Canyon -+-(NOW IN BETA 3!)-+-
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
 ;D--Chainlink Canyon-- ;D

BETA 4 DOWNLOAD
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16181.0;attach=6642
Scroll down to see changes

TO DO LIST FOR BETA 5

-Wait for more comments :P

Map Descriptiion

I was originally working on a different map, but it was a box, with a large pyramid in it, so i thought it wouldnt turn out well when i released it. I decided to challenge my self to design a map that wasn't a simple box with the bases, barrels.etc.  So i came up with this! :D A map that is somewhat like a figure eight.

In the center of the map is a large rotating bridge. If you are wondering what the reason for the bridge  is, its to make that top path slower, so that everybody dosent take the top path because it is the fastest,and safest path.

The gamemodes are CTF, 1-flag, and Pong. And I will warn you all right now that i got a MAX_PATCHES error with final compile (high quality).bat, and could not fix it for some reason. It could be caused buy the large amount of barrels in the map, but for now i used final compile.bat

Here are the screenshots of Chainlink Canyon BETA 1, my 2nd map released!! ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:00:16 PM by Lapppy »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Chainlink Canyon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »
i like it its just a bit too basic flag ground and walls maybe make a height difference on some of the paths

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
If i do raise up a path, it probably would have a similar layout to some of the other maps, such as lowlands_beta1. I will keep that in mind though ;)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:11:09 PM »
If i do raise up a path, it probably would have a similar layout to some of the other maps, such as lowlands_beta1. I will keep that in mind though ;)

That map is terrible, I only made it because I was bored and wanted to name something after a good song >.<

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:25 AM »
i got a MAX_PATCHES error with final compile (high quality).bat, and could not fix it for some reason. It could be caused buy the large amount of barrels in the map, but for now i used final compile.bat
As much as I remember all i ever used was final compile, and not that high quality excrement. I think I even remember that that high quality version doesnt even work and blabla.

First impression. Too many barrels. You said that high is the safest and too fast and still you added tons of barrels to low to make people stumble upon them.

Also, I would suggest to make either right hand side low or left hand side low a bit different from one and another. It just looks to plain at the moment.

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
Beta 2 is on the way, But i have run into a VERY nasty "Leaf portal saws into leaf" error. Ive had to delete all of the decorations, and the clip brushes and it still hasn't gone away!! and yes i have searched. >:( >:(

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
This same problem was solved just few days ago:

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=16178.0

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Well, i tried that and it did not help, because i didnt even know where the problem was in the first place.

But i found where it is coming from now. It was in the "hills" i was making for the paths. so now i have to pretty much add all of the colors and stuff, and hope it dosent come back... :o

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »
Nice work.  Looks like all of the textures are aligned, good use of clip brushes, etc.  Nothing really to fix there.  Looks like it's going to be mostly gameplay tweaks.  I've put the map up on the beta server (see PM for details).  Sounds like you're already going to reduce the barrel count some, which was my main complaint.  I think some of the (blue) spawns are facing the wrong way as well.

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
Ok, i will take a look at the spawns when I can and I guess we will see how the "hill" idea turns out later! ;D

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »
cool map

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »
Maybe an underground path? :P

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
--BETA 2--

-removed lots of barrels
-raised up a path on both sides
-changed the direction of two spawn points on both teams, for a total of four.

blaa

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Chainlink Canyon -+-(NOW IN BETA 2!)-+-
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:12:17 AM »
 Well, idea is good, but picture this. You exit your base using the high route, you see some action when you got to mid. You couldn't stay high. So, you have to take the low route.
What I am trying to say that going high to high is a bit difficult, it is not a bad thing, but there should be something to compensate it. Now you are left with only 1 choice.

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
One thing that i think could solve that is to get rid of the rotating bridge. The bridge slows down the top path too much, and makes it seem like a "tough" path to take, AND it would probably make the map look nicer. :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
I think I liked the paths in the first beta better.  You've dropped the number of paths from 3 down to 2, and the high path is more cumbersome to travel with all the large steps/cliffs plus the rotating bridge.  Before you had a quick path that was slowed down by the rotating bridge, so it kind of made it even.  Now there's almost no point in taking the high path, especially with the flag down low.  Perhaps you could put the flag on the bridge?  Not really a fan of 3 flag maps, since you capture the center flag at your own base.

If you stick with just 2 paths, you should at least make the high path a ramp, especially since it looks like you're supporting pong mode.  The scoring area should be larger, too (in pong mode, at least).  Also, you should have a lot more than just 4 spawns, in case it comes up on a crowded server, and I'd make them start near the base facing the exits, rather than against the wall facing the base.

The new version is up on the beta server for testing.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 06:38:26 AM »
 Don't lose the bridge it's nice.
Maybe you should add a little elevator from mid to that higher route (like in nml.bsp). It would fit the scheme (I think).

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
I think I liked the paths in the first beta better.  You've dropped the number of paths from 3 down to 2, and the high path is more cumbersome to travel with all the large steps/cliffs plus the rotating bridge.  Before you had a quick path that was slowed down by the rotating bridge, so it kind of made it even.  Now there's almost no point in taking the high path, especially with the flag down low.  Perhaps you could put the flag on the bridge?  Not really a fan of 3 flag maps, since you capture the center flag at your own base.

If you stick with just 2 paths, you should at least make the high path a ramp, especially since it looks like you're supporting pong mode.  The scoring area should be larger, too (in pong mode, at least).  Also, you should have a lot more than just 4 spawns, in case it comes up on a crowded server, and I'd make them start near the base facing the exits, rather than against the wall facing the base.

The new version is up on the beta server for testing.

The high paths were originally going to be ramps, but due to that nasty leaf portal saws into leaf error, i had to get rid of the ramps, and turn them into steps.

Also, there is more than four spawns on each team . In fact, i think there is at least ten spawns on each base.

So, (from what i am seeing), The high route isn't turning out very well in terms of gameplay, so i might have to revert it back to the old version for BETA 3, and add in the third path, as well as extra fixes.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »
Nice to see pong maps coming. They are fun if it has good gameplay desing. Like blaa said, don't lose the bridge. Looks funny when it's spinning aroung :P. And like blaa said too, make an elevator to the middle (pic below). And 3rd route would be nice. Maybe underground, i don't know. It's your decision.

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »
The elevator idea could work, but it could be a possibility that the elevator could collide with the bridge. Maybe a trigger_push jump pads would be fine?

I will also add a third route, ether underground, or i will bring back that high middle route from BETA 1.