Author Topic: Color Blind Players  (Read 4131 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Color Blind Players
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
There are at least a couple of admittedly color blind individuals playing the game right now, and doubtless more than that out there who have not stated so.

Those with a red-green deficiency have trouble seeing red models in some situations (Haze, Bix, etc. have admitted this).

But is there anyway the game could be coded to allow for them to force a LEGAL player model color such as purple or yellow on their end? 

Viper

• Autococker
Re: Color Blind Players
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=6936.0

Thanks, good discussion on that thread.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=76844;topic=6936.20;num_replies=40;sesc=3564b06b743511d46cbf978b07816ef7

There is Jits' response in that other thread.

I like the red players better than yellow or purple, but one solution is to just cut out red teams.

Or forcing them to a legal color model would seem to be fair enough. If the other models give such a big advantage in the first place then perhaps they should not be in the game either.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »

I like the red players better than yellow or purple, but one solution is to just cut out red teams.

I like yellow and purple more than red and blue, but another solution is to change color of the red team to oranange. Only color possible, i think (or it is?). Or then you can put stripes like saied in the other topic. But i'm not an expert in these things, so you should not take my statements so seriosly.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
LT was color blind too to red-green. On maps like carp and propaint1 if i am blue the red team has a definite advantage over me.

M7, until jitspoe stopped modded content I had solved the problem on my own :D

It could be possible to put something in where you could toggle red with another color. This way everyone would have the option if they wanted.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
Why not just let players set their team1, team2, team3, etc colors clientside?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »
Then you would need to change the barrel colors and that kind of stuff...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:00:48 AM »
Nah. Make it kind-of-hard to access, so that newer players who maybe don't quite understand what it'll do have a harder time getting to it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
Nah. Make it kind-of-hard to access, so that newer players who maybe don't quite understand what it'll do have a harder time getting to it.
I don't think new players are the issue.  It would just be a short period of time before all the clans started using it.  If you swap red and blue, for example, now the players defending the red base will suddenly stick out a lot more.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
I don't think new players are the issue.  It would just be a short period of time before all the clans started using it.  If you swap red and blue, for example, now the players defending the red base will suddenly stick out a lot more.

Yea, that was my point too. I think there is no easy solution for this if all...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »
Err, exactly. That'd be the point. The other team would have the exact same advantage, though, and colorblind players would get their playable game.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
ok, so change red for another colour? Is that the easiest solution?

EDIT

ok, now i see the problem. Everyone would change the colours of the teams so that the people will stand out to the coloured textures more.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:37:08 AM by i_am_a_pirate »

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »
exactly bix is somewhat color blind and he plays somewhat decent. end topic it wont go anywhere

aerobnizy

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »
this is good mode

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »
EDIT
ok, now i see the problem. Everyone would change the colours of the teams so that the people will stand out to the coloured textures more.

But why is that a problem? The other team has the ability to do the exact same thing.

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »
mmh

there is a option to turn the oldmodels on. -> seta r_oldmodels "0"

Maybe its possible to see your own team with oldmodels and your opponent with the newer models.

sth like that :
seta r_ownoldmodels "0"
seta r_oppoldmodels "1"

so they will discern them, if they jump around.

just an idea.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 07:57:09 PM »
The problem is not discerning team vs opponents. It is NOT seeing the people. For example at times I don't see the red models on green grass.

s0ul0

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
Then you would need to change the barrel colors and that kind of stuff...

yes.

s0ul0

• Stingray
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
EDIT
But why is that a problem? The other team has the ability to do the exact same thing.
i totally agree with eiii. everyone will have this option to change their color so it would be fair.

i think someone should definately bring this up to jits and persuade him to implement it in the next build possibly.
OR
just ban bix and any other colorblind player. lol <3

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:21 AM »
s0ul0: Please take the time to read this

Unfortunately, not all men are created equal.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Some people have better eyesight.  Some people have better reflexes.  Some people have better precision.  Some people are better at predicting enemy movement.  While it may be true that you have a clinical disability, there are many people with varying degrees of disabilities that impact their gaming ability which may or may not  be diagnosed.  Do I allow varying degrees of model discoloration depending on the severity of the disability?  See where I'm going here? The only way to make a game completely fair would be to throw a bunch of names in a hat and have it randomly select a winner, but what fun is that?

I have two key concerns here:
- What's best for the game and community as a whole?
- What's realistic?

I'm fairly certain the community as a whole wants a fair game.  Can I get a show of hands for those of you who want other players running around with modified models and textures so they can see better than you?  Ok, maybe there are a handful of, "I'm better than you even if you cheat, so bring it on." players, but I don't think that's really in the best interest of the community overall.

Now, what's realistic?  Reviewing each individual player's disabilities and weaknesses and creating alternative versions of the game and/or content to compensate for those handicaps is not really realistic.  Not only would it be a lot of work, but how am I to determine the relative visibility of a player model against a given texture for a color blind person vs. the stock models for players who aren't color blind?  Their alternative textures might be more visible even with their color blindness than the stock textures for other players.

The most fair and realistic solution I see right now is this: everybody uses the same models and textures.  If you have a disability, then you have a disability, and you're just going to have to learn how to play with it.  As b00nlander said, there are no green models, so you won't be mixing teams up.  They might be harder to see against grass textures, but the players don't have grass camo on, so you should be able to pick out the patterns of their jersey easily enough, and they'll probably be moving anyway.  I've played lots of games where players are actually designed to blend in with the environment -- games like BF2 and COD2 come to mind.  Even in classic Quake 2 deathmatch, everything was pretty much the same orange/yellow/brown color.  You just have to learn to discern pattern and movement instead of colors.