Author Topic: Sunday Showdown #1--PP1--Congrats to 3iob  (Read 16254 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Sunday Showdown #1--PP1--Congrats to 3iob
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
-----Congrats to 3iob on their win.

New IRC channel, #sundayshowdown

Each team please try to have one person in that channel at least so that we can get the matches coordinated.

Communication with the rest of your team is up to you.

Nub is our judge if demo review becomes necessary.

DEADLINE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, 5 PM Eastern

Since the ladder is underway and going pretty well I wanted to schedule a new community event.  I am calling it Sunday Showdown and it is a slightly modified version of the ladder. I am hoping it can be ongoing every week.

Here are the details:

- USA servers only.
- first 8 teams to sign up can participate.
- 3 vs 3, teams of up to 5, subs allowed during the match.
- deadline for signing up teams and for finalizing rosters for each team has been changed to Sunday, 5:00 PM Eastern time.
- demos need only be provided if there is a dispute or suspicion of hacking. In either of those cases they will go to the referee (yet to be determined) who will settle the dispute. There will be no in-game referees, so try to work out your own issues.
- The referee will determine the brackets.
- There is only ONE map total for the showdown each week. Each match consists of two teams playing on that one map for ONE game.  The map for the first Sunday Showdown is propaint1. For reasons on why I have organized it this way see the end of this post.
- The tournament is single elimination.
- The tournament will be held from 8-10 PM Eastern.
- If teams want to have their friends spec them just to watch that is fine. No talking if you are an observer.
-If there are any disputes over which team gets which color the team that signed up first in the tournament will get their choice of color.
- Prizes--no prizes, though if the project takes off I will list all previous winners in the next thread for a little reputation boost.

Reasons for only one map for the tournament:

a. It allows clans without a lot of experience to participate as they can focus on training for only one map.
b. It allows for matches to be short--only 20 minutes maximum, which means tournaments won't drag on for long periods. This means more can participate.
c. Eliminates arguments over which maps to play for ties.
d. Allows teams that excel at a given map to highlight their skills.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:54:58 PM by m7feettall »

_burnt

• Autococker
Re: Sunday Showdown #1--Sunday the 15th
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
I think this willl considerably help clan scene to grow. Let's see if i can get a team...

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »
 Hello mate,

First of all I'd like to say that I respect you now even more ^.^

Secondly I'd like to contribute to your tournaments by saying, that maybe you should add more maps to pool. The fact newbie clans won't know never maps is not valid, as newbie clans probably won't even participate (prove me wrong please). And the argument that with more maps the time to run the tourny would be significantly longer is an exaggeration as well. Yuou could make a a pool out of 3/5/7/etc maps (3 and 5 being the most reasonable) and let clan eliminate the maps they won't like. This way only 1 map still would get played. With my experience from europaint series (as a player) and a host of some minicups I can say that choosing the maps is a fast process. Especially when there are only 3 maps.

Now, the secong thing I liked to add is also about maps. Maybe you shouldn't try to go mainstream but you should use new maps or good oldies. This adds variety to maps which clans play every week, if not every day. PP1 is one of those maps.

I'm pretty sure I had something else. Let me see.. Oh yeah. I've been thinking about all that advanced match settings thing recently. As I first heard about that thing a few years ago from some jitspoes post I thought its complete and utter rubbish. "where would be the strategy in not knowing where ur enemy is?" I thought. But the trick is that your enemy doesn't know your position either. And of course the guntemp thingie. I would so meddling love to have some guntemp right now. When I first started DP, guntemp was turned on on most of the servers. There was some whining, but it was nice. Then it got turned down. Now we have gameplay where u must hold down your shoot finger practically all the time, and that sucks.

So maybe you could think about my suggestions. As this sunday is pretty close you shouldn't make any changes witht he first tournament (if you even gonna make any changes) but with the next ones.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
Hello mate,

First of all I'd like to say that I respect you now even more ^.^

Secondly I'd like to contribute to your tournaments by saying, that maybe you should add more maps to pool. The fact newbie clans won't know never maps is not valid, as newbie clans probably won't even participate (prove me wrong please). And the argument that with more maps the time to run the tourny would be significantly longer is an exaggeration as well. Yuou could make a a pool out of 3/5/7/etc maps (3 and 5 being the most reasonable) and let clan eliminate the maps they won't like. This way only 1 map still would get played. With my experience from europaint series (as a player) and a host of some minicups I can say that choosing the maps is a fast process. Especially when there are only 3 maps.

Now, the secong thing I liked to add is also about maps. Maybe you shouldn't try to go mainstream but you should use new maps or good oldies. This adds variety to maps which clans play every week, if not every day. PP1 is one of those maps.

I'm pretty sure I had something else. Let me see.. Oh yeah. I've been thinking about all that advanced match settings thing recently. As I first heard about that thing a few years ago from some jitspoes post I thought its complete and utter rubbish. "where would be the strategy in not knowing where ur enemy is?" I thought. But the trick is that your enemy doesn't know your position either. And of course the guntemp thingie. I would so meddling love to have some guntemp right now. When I first started DP, guntemp was turned on on most of the servers. There was some whining, but it was nice. Then it got turned down. Now we have gameplay where u must hold down your shoot finger practically all the time, and that sucks.

So maybe you could think about my suggestions. As this sunday is pretty close you shouldn't make any changes witht he first tournament (if you even gonna make any changes) but with the next ones.

I am definitely going to branch out to lesser known maps shortly. I wanted to start off with a well known one just to get things rolling.

As to the rest, I will think it over.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
Status Quo is up for another tournament. Team isn't final but most likely:
Circa
MyeRs
SuMMiT
Kazee
Legacy

It might change, but i assume it will stay rather close to the same. Maybe one player change. When do the teams have to be set in stone?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
Status Quo is up for another tournament. Team isn't final but most likely:
Circa
MyeRs
SuMMiT
Kazee
Legacy

It might change, but i assume it will stay rather close to the same. Maybe one player change. When do the teams have to be set in stone?

Here is a quote of the guideline above:

- deadline for signing up teams and for finalizing rosters for each team is on Saturday at noon Eastern time.

So you have a while.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:39 PM »
#team_1311

hyphy
L!nk (RoBiNHooD)
Rewind
Classic
Spawn
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:46:02 PM by RoBiNandL!nk »

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:52 PM »
Well m7 Im not 100% sure that I can get 2 teams but nearly sure I can get one. I got to talk to the clan bout htis. I do want to participate though.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
Well m7 Im not 100% sure that I can get 2 teams but nearly sure I can get one. I got to talk to the clan bout htis. I do want to participate though.

Ok, you have until Noon Saturday to finalize things. But for now I can only hold the one spot for you. If you get the teams lined up we can hold two.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 03:39:04 AM »
good luck in findung euros

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 08:10:11 AM »
                   Team QSD
                  ---------------
                     Robbie
                     Musik
                   Shinoogie
                     Dak50
                   HunterGirl

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
Just a short while left to sign up. If we don't get 8 teams we will go with four.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
Can we move the signup's to 5pm tonight? I'm trying to spam it around irc.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
Sorry I doubt we will have our teams ready for tomorrow. I still dont know who will be on. So if I dont come up with an uR squad I can play with someone else right?

Spawn

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
So can we still add members to our team?

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »
Sorry I doubt we will have our teams ready for tomorrow. I still dont know who will be on. So if I dont come up with an uR squad I can play with someone else right?

Yea of course mays.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »
I think 4 teams would be better for the weekly showdown and 8 for the big ladders

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »
Alright, at this point I am not sure why I set the deadline so early for a tourney anyway. It made more sense for a ladder. 5 PM Eastern time ON SUNDAY is the new deadline.

If we get 4 teams we play four. If we get 8 we play 8. If we get somewhere in between will just be four.

So take your time getting your rosters set up. Tomorrow evening by 5 is the new deadline.

I think 4 teams would be better for the weekly showdown and 8 for the big ladders

We will see if the concept catches on. If so we could have more teams next time. Or it may fail entirely. But no way to know without trying.

-------------

Log from discussion with Super:
[20:13] <Superman> yo, can you sign 3iob up for thsi tournament tomorrow
[20:13] ->> Superman is Superman@Superman.user.globalgamers.net (GePeTTo SaNCHeZ)
[20:14] <m7> yes if you would like
[20:14] <m7> please post your roster
[20:14] <Superman> Bix - dystro - Superman - gold - Reaver - NFK

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
If we get 4 teams we play four. If we get 8 we play 8. If we get somewhere in between will just be four.

Sounds good

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Sunday Showdown #1--Sunday the 15th -deadline extended
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
I thought it was 5 people you can sign up? [3iob] has 6? so can i add another to my team?