Author Topic: Question on a New Computer Build  (Read 2000 times)

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
Question on a New Computer Build
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
So I'm in the process of doing my first computer build.  I have a pretty decent knowledge of computers.  My question is I ordered everything to build except a new hard drive because the one i have is still fairly new nothing wrong with it.  I want to just transfer this one to the new computer that way I can keep everything I have on this one.  Will this cause a BIOS error because of the new motherboard?  Will it be able to boot correctly or do I need to do something so that the new hardware will recognize everything?  Like I said this would be my first build from scratch, and I invested a good sum of money into it.  I would like to see it be put to good use.  All help/answers would be greatly appreciated.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Question on a New Computer Build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:47:51 AM »
No, you don`t need something, it should recognize it.
Backup your data and install the operation system on the "new" comp.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:05:05 AM »
Everything won't work straight out of the box, but you should be able to get booted and everything without any issues. Just install the new drivers you need once it's up, and everything should run just fine.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »
be sure to back up important stuff though. For my recent build, I planned to use my old HD, and add another drive as a backup. Well in the process of moving my old HD to the new case, it ceased to work (clicking of death), and I lost that HD (I think I had backup it up though, but the example was set)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
If you take the hard drive from your old computer and put it in the new computer it will not work, unless the chipset of the 2 motherboards are exactly the same. I am not talking CPU but the actual chipset on teh motherboard.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
If you take the hard drive from your old computer and put it in the new computer it will not work, unless the chipset of the 2 motherboards are exactly the same. I am not talking CPU but the actual chipset on teh motherboard.

Should I uninstall the motherboard drivers before I put it in the new computer?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
It might - it's hit or miss.  I've had it work before, and I'm pretty sure I had different chipsets.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
Only thing on the hard drive that I was even wanting to save was my music.  After reading all that though I think a fresh install would be easier.  Every part came in today except for the case.  They all look so nice sitting there without a home..........