Author Topic: Maturity level on most DigitalPaint's server!!  (Read 4076 times)

Kainn75

• PGP
Maturity level on most DigitalPaint's server!!
« on: May 17, 2003, 10:46:04 AM »
 to quote form the FAQ

2-14:  Nettiquite
-----------------

Paintball II has no real definite ettiquite rules to it, but all we demand is
that you respect each other equally.  Some things to take note of:

-As mentioned earlier be courteous to your teammates.  Drop any extra CO2 you
have, as you probably won't be needing it.  If you have a grenade you don't
want, drop it, don't toss it.

-Dying is frusturating, I know.  Don't take it out on those that killed you.
Don't swear at them and call them racist or homophobic remarks (I think it's
obvious what I mean).  Instead, congratulate them on a nice shot, or use the
60 seconds to your team's advantage.

-Camping is a part of the game, like it or not.  Don't complain about it.  If
a camper is repeatedly killing you, it means he's playing better.  Leave it at
that and take it as a lesson learned-- if they're repeatedly camping, you know
where to shoot next time.

All you little kids, who cant stand getting killed, read this, memorize this, and use the golden rule

Kainn75

• PGP
Re: Maturity level on most DigitalPaint's server!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 10:55:03 AM »
I you all don't know the golden rule then here it is:

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL, AND TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED.

added common curtesies:

DON'T DRINK FROM THE MILK JUG, PUT THE SEAT BACK DOWN WHEN YOUR DONE AND BE SURE TO FLUSH TWICE IF YOU MUST!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 08:36:24 PM »
Actually, I think not lifting the seat up at all is a much greater problem.  I'd rather have a seat left up than a urine-coated seat.

Kainn75

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 05:06:42 PM »
 I just find it funny, people make games there whole life.  I love fraging in virtural reality but common!  Some people get mad if a camper kills them.  It is part of the game.  Some maps I will camp because that is where I can best suit the team and some maps I will rush because I run a map a certain way.

The Main Thing Is This Is A Game.

Camping is part of the game and if you absolutly can't stand people that camp you shouldn't play the game. Find a game where there is no camping involved like nascar racing or somthing. If it disturbs you so bad that you have to whine about it every 10 secs then you need serious mental help. Don't ruin the game for people who frag in it for what it is,                             A GAME!  

People have different ways of playing a game, some rush and nobody complains - "f-ing rushers" "lame rushers" "the only way you can kill me is to rush", and some camp and some do both.  But the minute that somebody camps and kills a habitual rusher there is hell to pay and they are the bill collector!

Think about it you rushed into a round 20 times and died 19 times and killed only 5 people, and I camped 20 times and killed 10 but died no times who has the better ratio who used stratagy  - WHO PLAYED SMARTER NOT HARDER - I am not saying rushing is not stratagy.  If every body on a team rushed and the other team was ready for it would it really matter!

I have notice that the virtual paintball community has really not grown up since its release.  There are two different groups of people ,Campers and then there is Whiners.  Always has been, and most likly always will be.  I know I stoped fraggin in this game 4 or so years ago because I was disgusted with the maturity level of the Adults in the game.  You try to remind people that camping is part of the game, and it is like you just insulted there Mama!  You say "Go read the DP F.A.Q.", and you just insulted there ignorance   "What F.A.Q.". "There is no F.A.Q.".

Just play the game, have fun, don't ruin it for others.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 05:04:25 AM »
how long did that take you to think and type up?

Kainn75

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 06:16:58 PM »
  About 10 min to type, but have been thinking about it for years.  Really have noticed it as a major nuisance in this particular game.  I know that certain games have their own  certian jargon(s) that is commonly used, but I have never seen the word camper used  so much.  Camper in the sense that it is bad and you should be kicked for doing it.  Never have I ever seen more people just argue and not play the game. Argure about stupid childish things. When a server has 12 people in it and 9 of them are all stoping to type and argue then where is the fun.

This is a great game, worthy of being payed for.  That is why I find this a major problem.  People will try this game, some won't mind the immuturity and some will.  I personally am one who finds it irritating and if the game was for sale would not purchase it knowing the community that would be playing it!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 05:15:28 AM »
knida like hrace

and, you talk too much

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
The other side of the coin (was Re: Maturity...)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 08:39:48 AM »
Camping is part of the game just like real paintball, but to you habitual campers please note...

1. When one team does nothing but camp then the game becomes a chore for the other team. So in essence you are contributing to the death of it all.

2. If you wonder how people like BoB, Herron etc can plow through crowds of players i can gurantee it wasn't learned from camping.

FT

Kainn75

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 04:53:16 PM »
  Eiii, what do you think the board is for, and why must you reply to my posts when obviously you have nothing really to add to the subjects being discussed?!!  I am not making you read any of the posts on the site. It is by your choice to read them.

That being said Eiii, if I talk to much for you -- then don't read any posts posted by me!  :)

Playing the game for what it is meant to be, will not contribute to its death, but constant complaining in the game about 1 or a dozen persons style of play will.  The point that I am trying to convey is that once branded a camper, you are always a camper whether running the map and killing or camping in one spot repeatedly.  I have camped, killed while camping and also by running the map.  I have noticed that when running the map since I have been known to camp, if I kill, it must have been because I just camped.  Duck and cover is not camping!  Suprise kills are not camping! But a rusher can shoot you in the back and that is okay. My view of most rushers is that if you kill them in a style of play that is not their own, then you are no good and it should be contributed to camping.

Kudos to everyone that can plow through crowds of people and get dozens of death points, but are 20 sec rounds really any fun.  I think making people adjust to situations, makes them better players.  I am not in the game to just to be a target. If there are people in the map that can run through crowds and kill them with no problem then should I not make them work a little harder to get a kill point off me?  A smart camper on average, camp 1 to 2 kills per spot.  Will move to a new location after killing, and will be vulnerable in transit.  Smart camping works in the game for everybody, but just because someone camps dosn't mean they should stop because it dosn't work for another persons style of play. I am not saying that a rusher has to stop rushing for a camper either.

My questions to you then are, if I can not go one to one with somebody, should I stand there and let them hit me?  If a camper can not go one to one with a rusher should they leave for the sake of the game, or should they stay and play the game the way they want to play it?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 05:38:44 AM »
don't worry--i skipped it all.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 06:36:52 PM »
In my opinion, those really short rounds shouldn't happen at all.  The servers run maps that are way too small (like arctic).  You shouldn't be able to get to the enemy flag before someone has had a chance to reload co2.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2003, 10:08:54 AM »
In my opinion, those really short rounds shouldn't happen at all.  The servers run maps that are way too small (like arctic).  You shouldn't be able to get to the enemy flag before someone has had a chance to reload co2.

Ya, what Jit said

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2003, 08:33:10 AM »
pee pee poo poo! haha i said pee and poo!

Mr_MoFo

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2003, 06:40:29 AM »
LoL i think kainn is right in some ways... but when u are camping sumtimes it gets frustrating.. WHEN A WHOLE TEAM DOES IT... so i rush in and i may get 1 or 2 but that ususally leaves like 4 for my team and we never win a round... i mean camping is ok but dont have the whole team camp when its like 6 vs 6 on a friggen small map

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2003, 05:25:56 PM »
It's called "defensive strategy"

Mr_MoFo

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2003, 06:18:10 PM »
lol defensive.. they need to calm down though camping is ok but atleast add the gun jamming to help us non "defensive strategic" people

Kainn75

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2003, 08:24:09 PM »
Actually if Jit added the gun jamming thing it would help out the campers more than anything.  Seein as how most rushers hold down the fire button when they rush.  I do think that the gun jamming or a spray reduction setting would be a good Idea (optional setting left up to the server admin).  I do not play real paintball, but I do know people that do do it and have talked to them abot the game.  Most of them have programable guns to limit the amount of time the trigger can be held down before it stops shooting.  Understandable because I would not like having one ball hit me in the back of the head let alone a dozen.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2003, 12:45:13 AM »
After not seeing grens for so long.. are we sure we want to give even more options for a server admin to turn things on and off ? =] Think about it!

Mr_MoFo

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 07:14:23 PM »
well personally i dont hold down the button when i rush usually i really only shoot when i have to but other than that ill spray if im on the phone :) like ill just sit there and hold the button.... i mean i get alota kills im thinking about doing it more often

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 02:22:42 AM »
When you're looking at on-the-fly strategies it really takes no organization at all to fit into a defensive(camping) formation as a team.  However if you want to defeat this team of campers offensively as the opposing team you're presented with a much greater task.  This is the reason why I think people complain about it so much(on public servers especially) is because there's tons of preparation involved with defeating a group of skilled players that decide to play defensively.  Personally I don't like camping or playing defensively,  like many others I don't like waiting for action.  It takes a long attention span to sit for 30-40seconds concentrating on the game just to wait for opponents to approach.

Offensive players like offensive opponents because it is incredibly easier to listen to incoming players, predict their path of attack, and lay a few shots into where they're going to go than it is to get a good shot on a camper.  Defensive players who aren't in motion have no "extra" physics on their shots and are often capable on grabbing a good angle where there is just enough room to shoot.  With the curves generatged by real_ball_flight shots from these angles can cover a great area(when using no/brass barrel) and getting around these shots becomes something more than just a stream to hop over.  These angles are also especially hard to hit with anything less than awesome aim and a steel barrel.

As for spray there's one simple solution: DON'T RUN INTO IT.  I don't find it that hard to identify spray, if you couldn't identify it, then it wasn't spray.  Hoppers now only hold a mamimum of 200shots, which is like 40seconds.  So instead of trying to rush through it just sit back, get a safe angle, and wait for it to end.  Sprayers need to grab more paint sometime and I haven't seen ammo supply lines anywhere except matches in the past.  Spraying isn't the problem, people playing stupidly is.