Author Topic: New Map: Lost in the Jungle  (Read 24877 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Lost in the Jungle
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
Well I am very impressed with this maps asymmetric layout.

Only main problem: You will have absolutely horrible lag on bad computers.  If you draw the maps triangles in DP, it is easy to see that nearly half of the map is being rendered at all spots.  Some spots R_speeds exceed 3000, though those are few.  The main problem will be the fps drop on lesser powerful computers.  I am too lazy to post a screen shot, but you definitely need to use detail brushes and hint brushes.  That should make your map playable on lower level computers.

The other reason this could be happening is if this map was fastvisrad compiled rather then final.  Either way, great map, keep up the good work :)

-Cusoman

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
It was a final compile, I ended up detailing a lot of stuff for JeeJee to make the compile faster, although I saw no hint brushes, so that's something he can work on later.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
Good to know. I guess he could just hint brush each "corner"
That would stop his loading problems :)

-Cusoman

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
I haven't gotten time to place the hint brushes again. I had them but they raised numportals to 7500+. I will place them when i get to it, it's hell of a pain though. Go to clip alot..

Oh, i forgot to ask this. Do you think i should make 3rd route that is underground and goes behind the bases?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:37:37 AM by JeeJee »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 06:41:07 AM »
An underground path would only confuse players, since this layout is not symmetrical.  I say just try to clip some of those upper spots, and hint brush loads of places.  If you detailed correctly, or if spook did in this case, you should be dropping your numportals by like 2000.  Adding in hint brushes wont raise you more then 1000, and Im guessing that you have like a 5000-6000 numportal map without any special brushes, so detailing and hinting will only help.  Make sure none of the walls or terrain or necessary vis blockers were detailed though, because that can cause VIS to display large portions of the map.  Just clean this map up, less overlapping of brushes and stuff like VIS and your good to go.

-Cusoman

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 06:54:43 AM »
Ok. I'll place those hint brushes in next betas. I think i had 4000 numportals after i deleted all those hint brushes, before i released 1st beta.(they raised nums cause they were badly placed) And for Spook, where did you exactly add detail flags? I think i had every barrel and detail like brush detailed.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
I ended up detailing all your walls, it dropped your numportals from 3800 to about 1200.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »
Hi! Beta 3 is here!

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/lost_b3.bsp

Just little changes and placed those hint brushes. I'll see how they work and change them if needed. Nothing else isn't really changed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Recorded a demo and uploaded to the beta server for testing.  Big things are the lighting, and several areas you can get stuck.  Also, it's helpful if you edit your first post with the latest version.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:43 AM »
Thanks for the demo. Was pretty hilarious :D. But back in this, i say that there A LOT of cracks and places like that where you get stuck, like that one which Jits tried to show me like 15 minutes. But it was kinda waste of time cause i knew it already :P Those grass textures are annoying sometimes and i'll take them of from those spots which aren't walkable. And thanks for the compliment. I'm the best one to screw up sun lightning... I go like "Yea, this is good, but it could be better." Then i change something and i'm "OH ****!!!! WTF just happened?!?!" And my settings are screwed... And i'm always too tired to fix it.

Now i just screwed it up... :-X :-X
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:59:01 AM by JeeJee »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
Sun angle too extreme?  Looks like almost everything is in shadow.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »
The sun angle is what i got when i stared to the sun and typed "angles" in the console.

Umm, if someone who knows well how sun works, could look at my map and tell me what is going wrong. I've tried everything, it won't just work!! In my newmap which i've made with Spartax, the sun wont work either. I tried like 7 different settings, and it wont work. Omg, i'm losing it...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:14:07 PM by JeeJee »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »
Post the _sun* settings you're using.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
"_sun_diffusion"   "110"
"_sun_ambient"   "100"
"_sun_light"   "700"
"_sun_color"   "1 1 .85"
"_sun_angles"   "150.518 -27.7185"

They were different in the picture above.

Forgot to mention, i've tried to use lower and higher ambient and light. None of them still didn't work for me :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
Hm, don't see anything that stands out as wrong.  The light value is really high, though.  I think 255 might be full brightness.  I'd try making a small test map and see if the lighting looks correct on that.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:51 AM »
Oh, loll!! Diffusion should be diffuse, i feel like an  idiot now. But it shouldn't make anything, or does it? Still, i've tried with light value 300, it doesnt help, if i remember correctly. I hope that i don't start feeling more idiot later this evening...

AND forgot to mention, that i can't get sun working on the new map which i'm going to release later tonight, after compiling finishes. Only 10 minutes left, lightning takes that... I've tried REALLY, really low settings on it, and high ones too, from end to end. I think that sun hates me and i'm starting to hate it :(

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »
I'm willing to try and help you out with the sun settings :) Pm me the .map and I'll see if I have better luck. But thats only if you want to.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:45 PM »
Always glad if someone offers his help. Those freaky settings start to piss me of...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
It should be "_sun_angle" not "_sun_angles"

These settings seem to work pretty well with your angle:
_sun_light 200
_sun_ambient 60

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
It should be "_sun_angle" not "_sun_angles"

These settings seem to work pretty well with your angle:
_sun_light 200
_sun_ambient 60

That fixes it. Right now, all the sun is doing is lighting the cliffs because of the angle of the sun.