Author Topic: Modifying and Distributing Maps: Rick  (Read 26810 times)

nook

• VM-68
Re: Modifying and Distributing Maps: Rick
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »
*claps* for MyeRs :D

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
*claps* for MyeRs :D
He only got 1 from me, he got the rest from someone else.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 08:26:35 PM »
Goodbye and good riddance.

As for consistency, why not be like punkbuster and ban them permanently? Would make the whole issue of voting on time irrelevant and actually create a fear for hackers.

Rick is only upset because his ban is as near permanent as it gets. Probably thought he would get some petty penalty like the others.

Now look who's laughing.

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »

As for consistency, why not be like punkbuster and ban them permanently? Would make the whole issue of voting on time irrelevant and actually create a fear for hackers.

Rick is only upset because his ban is as near permanent as it gets. Probably thought he would get some petty penalty like the others.

Now look who's laughing.

Who laughed and when?

STRAIGHTEST SHOOTER IN DEEPEE

I laughed at that. Was that what you meant Fitz?

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »

As for consistency, why not be like punkbuster and ban them permanently?

Fitz if this were the case, half your clan would be permabanned. Don't remember this input when your clanmates were being banned.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
I still firmly believe that Rick should have a decreased ban time since he was a positive force in the community for a very long time.  There is a distinct difference between Rick and Madman or Darkness.

-Cusoman

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
Fitz if this were the case, half your clan would be permabanned. Don't remember this input when your clanmates were being banned.

You must be looking at the wrong clan list. Out of our current clan list. Maybe 3 will be perma banned.

Back on topic. Rick accepts his ban, and hes always been a cool dude.

I agree that no matter what, if you commit the same crime you should get the same ban time, or at least similar times. Its a pretty big gap between 64 and 1024.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
STRAIGHTEST SHOOTER IN DEEPEE
Not only is that off topic, I take that as a personal flame. A 2 day ban is warranted I believe in regards to consistency.

Half of my clan? The only former hacker in our clan that is currently in the clan is Homing, and he hardly plays. He was banned whilst he was IN the clan. As for the rest, I believe pro messed around with some as did Nahlij.  That is far from half of our clan.

They would not have hacked, however, if the ban penalty was permanent and I'm sure Rick wouldn't have either.

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
I have a few serious thoughts that I have discussed with some community/committee members. I hope I am not over stepping my bounds with this post.

We all agree he needs a ban. However, Rick came forward in order to take a ban and play legit. This backfired on Rick as he was not expecting a 1024 day ban. A 256 day ban is the max the committee could expect anyone to actually wait to play. Either they will evade, or leave the game. I am in no way saying this is what Rick plans to do, I am stating  what many would do with a hefty ban.

What I propose is a reduced ban of 128 with a community service. This community service could include making models for jits, finishing abandoned maps, etc, which Rick has the skill to do. Like a real crime and punishment scenario, there are ways to cut down prison time for cooperation. Use that model for his ban and I think this may be a reasonable compromise. The community is obviously on both sides of the ban. There are some who agree with the ban time and some voicing support for a lowered ban time. This is apparent in the 4 page thread in 2-3 days.

I find the proposed suggestion of reduced time for community service very reasonable. Four months is a long time to wait and a lot of free time to contribute to the game in a positive way. I don't see how anyone can claim they want the game to thrive and still want a capable and willing member to leave the game forever, instead of taking a substantial punishment and making a substantial contribution to the game.

I would hope the direction of the thread would change at this point, to a more constructive thread.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
Fitz is the straightest shooter in DP, listen to him henrod.

User was banned for this post.
Tired of deleting your off-topic posts.  I think you need a vacation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:28:05 PM by jitspoe »

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2009, 10:37:41 PM »
I have a few serious thoughts that I have discussed with some community/committee members. I hope I am not over stepping my bounds with this post.

We all agree he needs a ban. However, Rick came forward in order to take a ban and play legit. This backfired on Rick as he was not expecting a 1024 day ban. A 256 day ban is the max the committee could expect anyone to actually wait to play. Either they will evade, or leave the game. I am in no way saying this is what Rick plans to do, I am stating  what many would do with a hefty ban.

What I propose is a reduced ban of 128 with a community service. This community service could include making models for jits, finishing abandoned maps, etc, which Rick has the skill to do. Like a real crime and punishment scenario, there are ways to cut down prison time for cooperation. Use that model for his ban and I think this may be a reasonable compromise. The community is obviously on both sides of the ban. There are some who agree with the ban time and some voicing support for a lowered ban time. This is apparent in the 4 page thread in 2-3 days.

I find the proposed suggestion of reduced time for community service very reasonable. Four months is a long time to wait and a lot of free time to contribute to the game in a positive way. I don't see how anyone can claim they want the game to thrive and still want a capable and willing member to leave the game forever, instead of taking a substantial punishment and making a substantial contribution to the game.

I would hope the direction of the thread would change at this point, to a more constructive thread.

promaster did have ZGH
[/quote]

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »

That is actually quite a good idea for the individuals who are able to do so; it kind of follows the "turning in your hacks" reward I guess. The only drawback is that many individuals (including myself) do not know how to use BSP or anything that could seriously contribute to the DP community. There would have to be some sort of comprehensive contract that individuals could look at to see how to reduce their ban time. Something for the mappers and something for the normal individuals.

In regards to this, I suppose it's based on the individual at hand. There are certainly some individuals that the community does not need; whereas there are some individuals that the community benefits from.

However, a community of "hackers" may not necessarily be desired by some...

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:42 AM »
In regards to this, I suppose it's based on the individual at hand. There are certainly some individuals that the community does not need; whereas there are some individuals that the community benefits from.

However, a community of "hackers" may not necessarily be desired by some...

I agree Fitz. I wouldn't see this kind of "plea bargain" being extended to someone who distributed to anyone willing to click a link on a website. That is definitely not the case here. It is pretty obvious by the tone of half the posts in this thread that Rick is valued by many in the community. I'm sure his coming forward, cooperation with the committee, and previous contributions to the community make him a prime candidate for this. If it pleased the committee.

I might add that, anyone who spends four months unable to play while contributing to the game obviously wants to play again. I would assume the likelyhood of a repeat offence would be nill. That is, unless the offender is a glutton for punishment. Also, the one of the main goals in the community service is to strengthen the member's respect for the community. By investing one's self into a community, his bond with the community is strengthened.

close it. enough spammed

Do you really consider the last few posts spam?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
We can't give someone a lower ban just because we like him. That wouldn't be fair. And he was actually expecting a 1024 days ban, so it's not like he didn't knew what he could get when he did it.

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
We can't give someone a lower ban just because we like him.
He deserves a lower ban.

nook

• VM-68
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »
We can't give someone a lower ban just because we like him. That wouldn't be fair. And he was actually expecting a 1024 days ban, so it's not like he didn't knew what he could get when he did it.
its not that. We just think it is very unfair that he gets 1024 days and when XaneX get 64 when he confessed.Just So weird

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »
If it were up to me, and a few others, I'd give anyone caught a permanent vacation.

Period.

No questions asked.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
If it were up to me, and a few others, I'd give anyone caught a permanent vacation.

Period.

No questions asked.

QFT

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »

Period.

No questions asked.

+1

What is the point of banning anyone if you can not stay firm, fair and consistent? This is something that is beaten into every leo's head. Without consistency any rule is pointless. When my kids do something bad they will continue to do it if I just ask them nicely to stop. If I raise my voice they would think twice about it, weigh the consequences and do it anyway. If I light their butts up with a belt, they will be too afraid to do it again. We should use this same approach. You hack. Perm ban. Simple. No drama required. I would go as far as ban them from these forums as well. At least a cool down period. Ah well. This whole hacking sensation is quite funny. This game would be better off without some of these players anyway. Why the community puts up with the rudeness and then allows these folks to get away with hacking is beyond me. If they hacked, got away with it for a long time, got caught and serve little time then they will eventually find another way to bypass detection for awhile.   

This community needs to grow some bawlz!!!

*I am well aware I might get a vacation for this one. At least it isn't hacking.*

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
* KnacK doesn't see a darn thing wrong with your post.