Author Topic: The world of mapping  (Read 7566 times)

Nikademis

• Stingray
The world of mapping
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:49:58 AM »
I've been playing game for sometime now and I have to say the quality of maps has gotten very poor. I think there should be a committee to look at the maps and say which ones should be allowed to go on servers. People rant and rave over maps that took no thought to put together. There are older maps out there that are simple and fun. There is a new breed of map makers that throw some crap together and call it a map and it sucks beyond belief. Does any one else feel this way or have the mind players who camp and spawn kill to no end rule this game??

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
Re: The world of mapping
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:39 AM »
Yeah I feel the same way... though not quite as harsh.
I really hate it when there are 100s of maps out there, and by the time you download them, gone through each one, you find only a handful of good ones. The rest were a waste of download and time.

In agreement there needs to be a committee vote on the best maps, and maybe a sub-forum on it.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »
There is a new breed of map makers that throw some crap together and call it a map and it sucks beyond belief. Does any one else feel this way or have the mind players who camp and spawn kill to no end rule this game??

I don't play this game too much any more because of that.  Almost every sever has one of five maps on it, all of which suck and are overplayed (I hate the Shazam maps the most).  Thats one reason that I make some maps.  Although, the development time on my maps is averaging around two years per map at this point.  :P

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:40:08 AM »
Well, Zorch, if I might be so bold as to call you that, I believe you have seen one of my friend's map (Vague312). I started trying to make maps and realized that they were pretty lame, but Vague312 has maps that actually look pretty professional. I don't mind the shaz maps. I like Eclisse, Forgotten Statues, UB Cliff, Midnight, Discovery (isn't that bad) neither is UB Abbey. Bankrobbery is cool and I like Kung Fu.There are about another 5 maps or so that I do like (the names escape me at the moment). The spawn points on the maps need to be better, make it harder to spawn kill. Spawn killing and camping are the two things that drive me nuts. Oh, not to mention people who use hacks. As a person who plays/played real paintball nothing drives me insane as a person who doesn't move up. I think people need to look at the textures out there and put some thought into it. I've been watching how Vague does his maps and would like to be able to make a good map, but I doubt I will.

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:13:14 AM »
So can someone start a thread on 'best maps in DP2'?
I'd start it but I have no clue about any map. I haven't been here long, nor have I looked much into any maps.

To stop heaps of maps coming through, make it a map that heaps of people (and I mean HEAPS) like and think its really good. Not just a map that some people think its great while others think a different one is better.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
 Let's just wait until the time is right for "official dp:pb2 maps". You get the maps you need when you download your game and most pub and match activity is done using those maps.

Yeah, alot of good maps will be gone, but who gives a crap.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:38 AM »
So can someone start a thread on 'best maps in DP2'?
I'd start it but I have no clue about any map. I haven't been here long, nor have I looked much into any maps.

There's already 5 threads on "best maps in DP2". Search em. :)

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
Yeah there  is about 5 or 6

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
I don't mind the shaz maps. I like Eclisse, Forgotten Statues, UB Cliff, Midnight, Discovery (isn't that bad) neither is UB Abbey. Bankrobbery is cool and I like Kung Fu.There are about another 5 maps or so that I do like (the names escape me at the moment). The spawn points on the maps need to be better, make it harder to spawn kill. Spawn killing and camping are the two things that drive me nuts. Oh, not to mention people who use hacks.

Get off OTB speed and try a pub like 3iob public you won't find maps like Ub_Abbey and you won't get spawnkilled except when a newbie comes by every once in awhile :P

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
The problem is that the servers play maps that people like. Most people like those overplayed maps. But if servers keep maps that people don't like, they wont play on that server. I personally think it's odd. I have been playing this game about 7 months, and i'm sick of shazams and maps like that.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
The problem is that the servers play maps that people like. Most people like those overplayed maps. But if servers keep maps that people don't like, they wont play on that server. I personally think it's odd. I have been playing this game about 7 months, and i'm sick of shazams and maps like that.

Yeah, and OTB then changes the maprotation and i see newbies enjoy holycow2 and discovery :o.

OTB Speed controls the newbies.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
But it doesn't make the game go anywhere. It might control the newbies but how many of those newbies are ever going to be assets to our community? Some American players play on there because they like speed even when their ping on there is bad.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »
I would like to see newbies to  play normal servers, too. I don't care if they play in a Speed pub, but what i would like to see, is that more newbies start to play normal pubs and discover the tactical and more challenging gameplay, than the lining and spraying what the speed pubs offer.

Also it would be better if the maprotations of the servers wouln't be so small. Like arctic, it has really small rotation, something like 10 maps. 3iob has pretty good maplist, in my opinion. Like i would have played much on it, but i've played on it sometimes, when euro servers got a sucky map. And when i've played on it has almost everytime different map.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
Well, Zorch, if I might be so bold as to call you that, I believe you have seen one of my friend's map (Vague312). I started trying to make maps and realized that they were pretty lame, but Vague312 has maps that actually look pretty professional. I don't mind the shaz maps. I like Eclisse, Forgotten Statues, UB Cliff, Midnight, Discovery (isn't that bad) neither is UB Abbey. Bankrobbery is cool and I like Kung Fu.There are about another 5 maps or so that I do like (the names escape me at the moment). The spawn points on the maps need to be better, make it harder to spawn kill. Spawn killing and camping are the two things that drive me nuts. Oh, not to mention people who use hacks. As a person who plays/played real paintball nothing drives me insane as a person who doesn't move up. I think people need to look at the textures out there and put some thought into it. I've been watching how Vague does his maps and would like to be able to make a good map, but I doubt I will.

Thats another thing.  I've seen some very nice looking maps on the forums, but they just aren't played on the servers.  Looking at the server list right now and im seeing three servers running propaint1, four running a shazam, three airtime, and a bunch of jump maps.

On a side note, the first few servers (by number of players) are running some good maps, which was rather unexpected on my part.  :P

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:52:16 PM by Dirty_Taco »

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Server admins that want people on their server (Superman) will put the terrible maps on their maplist because the newbies will then flock to the server.
yep, its all about the server admins.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
Thats the unfortunate truth.  :-\

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
I know Dirty_Taco makes good maps and I believe I saw 1 by Zorch that was good. I know that Zorch has the menus. 3IOB server isn't bad, I like it, I think respawn should be 20 sec max or 10 min because of smaller maps it gets kinda  frustrating

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
Server admins that want people on their server (Superman) will put the terrible maps on their maplist because the newbies will then flock to the server. eR33t's pub, which had a quality maplist, was almost always empty. So if you want to change the level of maps played, change the newbies minds. Good luck with that.

Maybe 5% of the people that play this game use the forums.  You say er33t pub had quality maps, but it was empty all the time?  I think the map is quality if the majority of people like it.  As a server admin, I try to please the highest amount of people possible.  Why pay for a public server if its not used?

Strategy is not really a big issue on public servers.  Half of the people in them barely know how to play.

3iob pub will always have maps that do not kill the server.  You want to play with strategy?  Join a clan and match.

+ I try to counter this with having several active admins.  You will only see complicated "quality" maps on when the majority of the people playing at the time ask for one.    My server is the only one i know of with active admins.

Nikademis:  Respawn will never be less than 60 seconds on 3iob public.  This atleast allows some strategy, instead of mindless killing.  Go to otb speed.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
I think there are alot of maps that should be trashed alot of the newer mappers are just rushing. I was one to criticize maps before, then I started mapping and my appreciation for a few peoples work has grown.

I'd also like to have a mapping committee.