Author Topic: The world of mapping  (Read 7563 times)

Nikademis

• Stingray
Re: The world of mapping
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »
Being in a clan does not do much. My friend tried starting DP Tournaments......people were like cool, signed up for the info then when it came close to game day people crapped out. OTB is ok, but the spawn killers and campers drive me nuts, not to mention the constant team swapping. I like being on my friends server because there is control. I am in a clan for the purpose of finding my friends that come to my friends REAL paintball field. We don't really match, but on occasion we have had 2 vs 2 against people just for the fun of it. Back to the topic at hand. Some things I think a map should be/have      1)look nice    2) decent size    3) not 1 sided   4) have spawn points that people can't sit and pick off respawns

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
I don't see the point of a map committee. Again, its all up to the server admins.

What would a map committee do? Decide what can and can't go on servers? The admins can already put whatever maps they want on, even if they're beta.

Would the map committee find flaws and tell how to make the map better? Everyone already does that here in the Mapping section.

All a Map committee could really do is vote if maps are good or not, but nothing would happen since they can't change maps on the servers.

:/

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Ok, say you still have dial up and takes you 20 min to Dl a map or you sit there and download a map pack......and 99% of the maps in that pack or the map that is on that server sucks.......you wasted time.Any one can make a map, but a quality map that is worthy of being played is another

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
DP Mapping can go further either way. If you can have maps like the following in Q2 there isnt any real reason they shouldn't at least exist in DP.

a few Q2 maps (same engine as DP for the uninformed)
http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetquake.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/clusterimages/leray28.jpg
http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetquake.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/clusterimages/quake11146017717.jpg
http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetquake.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/clusterimages/stahcontest1.jpg

I think if a bit more time was taken in a maps appearance even god awful maps like shock would at least present better to new players. Every so often you see someone posting up a topic about improving graphics quote:"cuz they suck". Now what sucks the games engine or the fact there playing maps like blitz & fff2?

Raising the bar a bit isnt going to hurt anyone.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
I don't see the point of a map committee. Again, its all up to the server admins.

What would a map committee do? Decide what can and can't go on servers? The admins can already put whatever maps they want on, even if they're beta.

Would the map committee find flaws and tell how to make the map better? Everyone already does that here in the Mapping section.

All a Map committee could really do is vote if maps are good or not, but nothing would happen since they can't change maps on the servers.

:/
There are a couple things I could see a map committee doing:

1) Come up with a list of approved match maps.

2) Determine when a map is sufficient to be moved out of beta status.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
3. Determine the maps that would be included in official DP releases.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Organize a yearly mapping contest?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
I think the map is quality if the majority of people like it....
3iob pub will always have maps that do not kill the server. 

Exactly, people play what they like.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
1) Come up with a list of approved match maps.

2) Determine when a map is sufficient to be moved out of beta status.
1. There's so many maps,  it'd be restricting if they didn't choose all the maps ppl like to play. I could see this only as a point for leagues or ladders.
2. beta's are in match's and pub's, moving out of beta doesn't effect too much, and besides, this sub-forum is meant to do that right, to help find flaws and what to fix, till its done?

3. Determine the maps that would be included in official DP releases.
this is a good point, I don't think a whole committee would be needed for it though, just a few people watching the pubs and matches, and listing whats mostly played, since its not a big deal if certain maps aren't in there.

Organize a yearly mapping contest?
This is the most feasible reason a committee would be needed, and I wouldn't mind seeing a committee for this, since it would get people interested in mapping. And would help implement good theme ideas in maps.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
And as for speed servers, there is a reason noobs like them. Noobs can't learn the game when they sit most of the time. On a traditional server they die in about three seconds. Then, those who most need the practice, the noobs, watch while those who are already good play. Then the round ends, and the whole cycle repeats.

On a speed server they can at least keep moving all the time, learning the basics.

I actually wish we had a decent American speed server. Syncmaster's was a good warm up when I logged on before playing other servers. And without speed servers I think we have less noobs stick with it.

In fact, I see Justin's post just above me. I seem to recall him playing a lot of speed servers early on. He is pretty good now at the traditional game.

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:09 PM »
Wel, have you ever played on Joe Zam's server? It is an American server main base is New Jersey then out of Luzerne PA. Not sure where 3iob server but the ping is low so I am assuming it it close to North Eastern US since I am in North East PA

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »
 1. Official maps is awesome
 2. Not good. Custom maps are around in every. Let people play whatever they like.

To enforce people to play official maps you could make it so that if server has the approved maplist on rotation, then it is visible in server list. You can still connect to servers with custom map lists by using the ip.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
I think its a lack of textures most textures dont match with each other.. and making textures can be quite annoying (i imagine)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »
I think more maps should take advantage of jails.  That way the newbies can still get 100% play time and learn the basic mechanics of the game, but they don't have all the down sides of short respawn servers.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
Yes, jails like in Jericho, that's pretty cool, and fun too. And it's annoying when you wait for respawning...