Author Topic: linux - alsa - is it possible to get alsa to not cut out ?  (Read 2277 times)

yossarianuk

• VM-68
Hi.

In an attempt to stop the annoying random crashes  ( http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=16798.0 ) i have tried setting:-

seta snd_driver "alsa"

The sound seems to cut out (i.e before the sample has finished..)

Has anyone has any joy with alsa ?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: linux - alsa - is it possible to get alsa to not cut out ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
Alsa doesn't work well on my laptop at all.  It gets really choppy and drops down to like .1fps.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
Is there a way to fix the implementation of alsa?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
Is there a way to fix the implementation of alsa?
It's open sourced.  Have at it. :)  Like I said, my laptop doesn't support alsa well, so it makes it difficult to make any improvements.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
If I can find some time to lean the code really well, I'll definitely look into it.  I doubt I'll have the time to do it within the next year though.  :P

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
Jitspoe what sound card model to you have in your laptop?

Alsa supports pretty much everything (v 1.0.19).

I could try and help you get it working (not for you to program it but it is quite useful)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
Well, this is interesting.  I was playing with the different sound drivers after installing Ubuntu on my laptop.  OSS worked fine until I was messing around for a bit and it stopped being able to open the device.  Alsa I thought wasn't working at all, but then I realized it was just playing the first little bit of a sound, then cutting out, and it had the severe framerate issues it did in Debian.  SDL sound was doing the same thing, but after I ran SDL for a minute or two, it smoothed out and started working normally (though it seems there was a bit of lag between when the sound should have played and when I heard it).

My laptop is a Dell 700m.  I'm not sure exactly what sound card it has -- RealTec something, I think.