Author Topic: In 20 minutes you can do your part to save the clan scene.  (Read 2731 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
In 20 minutes you can do your part to save the clan scene.
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
It takes 20-30 minutes in most cases to teach a pub noob, or a group of them, to strafe jump. You get the good feeling of watching them succeed and the community gets a player who is more likely to stick around.

Just invite them to a server, stick on soccer1 and go to it.

Tonight I taught another person to strafe. I have taught a number of others before.

Step 1. Teach them to go straight ahead and jump without breaking stride.  It is easiest if you teach them to hold the jump button and let the game automatically time it for them, and then reset each time. It is not much harder to learn and then  they don't have to worry about breaking strafes by mis-timing. Have them do several length-wise runs.

Step 2. Teach them to alternate feet. Have them turn on the speedometer. They know they are doing it right when they stay between 30-35. Have them do a number of practice runs.

Step 3. Add the mouse swing. This step can take a bit of explaining. Have them do a number of practice runs.

Step 4. Explain curves.

Step 5. Encourage them to keep practicing.  Tell them that when they build their skill they can join a clan. Plant the mental seed.

Throughout the session celebrate the successes and don't let them give up.

Please take the time to do this when you see someone with a promising shot who just doesn't know how to strafe.

abnormal

• Autococker
Re: In 20 minutes you can do your part to save the clan scene.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:09:20 AM »

Step 3. Add the mouse swing. This step can take a bit of explaining. Have them do a number of practice runs.

Step 4. Explain curves.
This is the hardest part in my opinion.. Hard to explain it only using the "say" command.

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:15:28 AM »
sounds like teaching a dog a new trick

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »
This is the hardest part in my opinion.. Hard to explain it only using the "say" command.

Yes, it is hard to demonstrate. You can have them look straight on at you and they can see the back and forth part, but not the dip because of the models.

sounds like teaching a dog a new trick

But even old dogs can learn it.

anson

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:52:08 AM »
I see some guys that arent bad but cant do strafe jumps. But they are so arrogance and hateful. so why shud i waste my time on teaching someone i hate.?

sohan

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
I've been doing this for months. I use a mixture of 1 on 1 teaching in private servers with some demos for them to watch in their own time when they feel like it.

Must have helped around10-20 people atleast.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Can someone teach me?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
I've been doing this for months. I use a mixture of 1 on 1 teaching in private servers with some demos for them to watch in their own time when they feel like it.

Must have helped around10-20 people atleast.

Great!

And to Anson, how is it possible that you can't find any pub noobs who can't strafe but are not hateful?

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:03 AM »
Good thread M7.

Anson I'm sure you can find some noobs to help out that won't be mean to you. I've seen that Sherman kid around. He's awful but nice, I bet you could show him a thing or two. :P Sherm.

BTW Anson is his real name and it is the coolest name I have ever heard. I would be a billion times cooler if my name was Anson and I'm not joking.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
Why don't someone just make a video and overlay the keys in the corner or something and have them light up when each is pressed.
Or maybe sync a dual recording of your hands and DP at the same time.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »
Why don't someone just make a video and overlay the keys in the corner or something and have them light up when each is pressed.

Sounds like a job for supers8n!!!!

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »

Good idea. It needs a guy with a powerful comp.
How to overlay the keys?

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
how is it possible that you can't find any pub noobs who can't strafe but are not hateful?

lol I tried to help one out yesterday. He wasn't answering then I told him to press t to talk. He said "lol" and left a minute later hehe