Author Topic: Overheating?  (Read 3284 times)

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
Overheating?
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
Every time I start to play DP for a bit my computer will act like it's overheating and just shut itself down.  I really don't think it's overheating though because I am able to run call of duty 4 on it fine, which is way more strain on my computer then DP is.  Also my computer has 3 120mm fans in it and good ventilation so which also makes me believe it's not overheating.  Any help would be appreciated.

[3iob]gold

eMo

• VM-68
Re: Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
I actually find dp runs my computer harder than call of duty 4 and CSS. Dp has actually melted my video card from overheating, but than again it's just a high end laptop with poor ventilation. If you find out what it is let me know.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
I get blue screened from playing DP sometimes. But, it never happens with wsw or css. Game is high maintenance.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
Make sure cl_sleep is at 1 to keep the video card usage at a lower level.  I use that and get 300-500 fps average which is plenty and my cards don't get anywhere near as hot as cod4 makes them.

eMo

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:39:30 AM »
thanks  br5, mine was set to 0. Made hell of a difference, now my fans only kick in on the tie map.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:30 AM »
So I have identified it as the CPU overheating.  Have to run it with the side of the case off for enough air to get in too keep it cool.  Even though I have 3 120mm fans blowing in on it.  I don't think the problem is the air flow because they are all set to high I know it's getting good airflow and there is good ventilation.  I'm thinking that there isn't a good bond of thermal grease from the heat sink to CPU.  It was the preapplied pad.  Heat sink fan is running fine too.  Was just wondering if I was right on the diagnosis of the problem.  Feedback will be appreciated.

[3iob]gold

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
I've encountered the same or similar problem - 2 weeks ago I  was playing pb and then all of sudden my graphics card would like stop to work, causing my computer to hang up. My screen would go black with 'no input signal' message, and sounds would repeat in a loop. Then I had to reboot comp, but it wouldn't run, but after some cleaning it started. Today tho, I had to reboot my comp 4 times, after playing paintball for no more than 15 minutes, yesterday it has happened on tie map. cl_sleep 1 doesn't do anything for me, previously it was set to 0, but I see no difference. Airflow is good (3x120mm), never had problems with overheating any of comp parts, while playing games such as Crysis or COD4. Happened on build 26 and 27, my card is 8800 GTS 512mb, OS win xp 32bit SP3 (before SP2, but problem has occured). Any ideas?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:23:05 AM »
I have the same problem. I think it can be solved by increasing cl_sleep (beyond 1ms.) I am currently running on cl_sleep 5, which keeps FPS under 250 but I haven't had the problem since.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »
Problem has occured 2 mins ago when I was playing Quake Live >.>

raverbrad

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »
i have a custom built laptop and mine apears to over heat and run very hot with this game vs others of higher quality

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:33:55 AM »
Problem solved.  Downloaded rivatuner and changed my fan speeds for my heatsink as well as my graphics card.  Graphics card was running hot which was causing my computer to just shut down.  Stock fan speed was only set to 25%. :(  Rivatuner great program. Graphics card was at 53 C when computer was idle.  Would shoot up to 70 C when gaming.  Idles now at 41 C and goes up to 47 C when gaming.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

[3iob]gold

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
You can also use rivatuner and other programs (speedfan, etc) to overclock your system if you really wanted to :)

I just use them to monitor temperatures and boost fan speeds when needed.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
I really do not think this issue has anything to do with overheating. While playing pb I was running GPU-Z in the background, temperature was 52C. Tomorrow I'll do some tests (save temp. level to file and see how high it is when comp hangs up). I was thinking that this problem is linked with drivers, I have ForceWare 182.50, but for the first time pb made me reboot computer was on 182.06. Played a lil with cl_sleep 5 and no hang ups so far, but as I mentioned, tomorrow I'll test it.

Edit: cl_sleep 5 doesn't help - 15 minutes of pubbing and bah, had to reboot.

Edit2: Less than 30 minutes of play, logged gpx card's parameters to file. Comp hung up with 55C, so I'm sure it's not overheating problem. After turning comp off, graphics card wouldn't run for several starts (and that's really bothering, any clue why and how to fix it?). Cl_sleep 5, logs attached.

Edit3: Cl_sleep 0, played over an hour and decided to stop, no hang ups, highest temperature 59C. Logs attached.

Final edit: Guess what... opened the case, plugged power cord harder to gpx card (althought it was plugged in hard enough), plugged gpx card more to mobo... problems totally gone! I find it kinda strange, but at least I'm happy now that I have nothing to worry about.

edit...:
FFS, it still happens to me, and I have NO idea why, I've updated drivers lately to 185.85 and played on them just fine until today - played for 5 mins and had to reboot, next time I had to reboot was after about 20 minutes. If anyone has any sort of a clue I'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:12:21 PM by Gamabunta »