Author Topic: Why does Paintball2 make my computer shut down?  (Read 4300 times)

mimi

Why does Paintball2 make my computer shut down?
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:25 AM »
i have a question: why does my computer shuts down while i am playing paintball?! do u have any idea? the computer works fine if i just let it run for 7 hours but when i start to play paintball after 30 minutes the computer shuts down with no warning :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Why does Paintball2 make my computer shut down?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
I split this into its own thread.

There are two things I can think of:
1) Paintball2 is putting extra stress on your video card and CPU causing it to overheat and your computer is shutting down as a safety mechanism.
2) There's a bug in your drivers (most likely video drivers) causing the machine to crash and reboot.

What video card do you have?  Can you run other 3D games, such as Quake3, without problems?

twistdid

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »
yea it sounds like its over heating to me what kinda computer u running it off of? n it mite b the drivers but u would b able 2 tell if u had a virus tht was affecting ur drivers. everything would b messed up. not just tht game. so im thinkin get a better video card or a newer computer n u should b fine. 

Spydie

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:25:40 AM »
I have this problem sometimes: if i start paintball2 fullscreen, it will make the video driver crash. That's mainly because of a excrementay vid card. When i updated my driver and started the game it would just be a black screen.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:52:27 PM »
me and the others in darkp have been experiencing trouble related to this lately too.

no matter what machine we run off, paintball2 runs at 100% CPU usage (no matter how fast the processor) and ramps up temperatures on both the CPU and GPU. Reed and WonTon both had trouble with their GPUs overheating (restarting/shutting down like the mimi here), and I have had CPU problems too (which i had to sort out with new thermal paste, etc..). The university machines just died after about 5 mins running, though i wasnt to ready to tell the technicians exactly why...

anyway, the thing is why does Paintball2 hose your processor(s)? thats pretty counter-intuitive given the age of the game engine, so i can only put it down to some sort of bug in the renderer/game engine. Its not the drivers because ive tested it on many machines with different CPU's and different graphics cards of varying makes and models, and of course speeds; they all run at full whack and depending on the cooling available - overheat.

- Dagless

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »
hmmm...

i had problems recently with my computer. basically it wouldn't switch on. so i checked the cpu and power pack and it was very hot, so hot in fact i couln't hold it till it cooled down, and suspected it of being burnt. i also had to apply new thermal paste.

i found the problem was with a new stick of ram i recently bought, but pb couldnt have had a negative effect on this could it?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:22:58 PM »
The game, by default, runs as fast as it can.  That means if you have a faster machine, you'll get a higher framerate.  You can use cl_maxfps and cl_sleep to reduce the cpu load, however, computers should not be locking up unless they are poorly built, poorly ventilated, and/or overclocked.

You can also use gl_swapinterval 1 to make the game render only at the rate the monitor cand display it (typically 60fps).

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
I had a similar issue with Battlefield 2 when I bought it.  At first my screen would flash white every few seconds.  I updated the video card drivers and it fixed that problem, but it would cause my comp to crash after a few minutes of gameplay.  I  then played while watching the temp of my vid card and it was overheating.  I couldn't find a fix.  My video card was some radeon one.  I switched to a Nvidea Geforce card and it worked fine.  I checked my old video card to see if anyone else had the issue and it seemed that some did but others could play it fine.  My cpu and ram were more than enough to handle it, as was the video card.  I know this doesn't help much to find a solution, but I believe the error involved the combination of my hardware.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
LMAO this thread is 6 years old, but im sure mimi appreciates it.

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
LMAO this thread is 6 years old, but im sure mimi appreciates it.

Well you see gonass was in a serious car crash that involved a cow and a pineapple that caused his brain to stop making short term memory so he loses recollection of everything during his sleep. so to him everyday is Feb 16, 2006.  Poor gonass

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
his mother died in a car accident....

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:34 AM »
Topic is very old but the problem is still there. 

This has happened to my new computer  3 or 4 times (only while playing paintball).  Evga GTX 570 and an i7 2600k is the relevant hardware that I am using.

About 95% sure it isn't an overheating problem.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 07:09:27 AM »
This has happened to my new computer  3 or 4 times (only while playing paintball).  Evga GTX 570 and an i7 2600k is the relevant hardware that I am using.

About 95% sure it isn't an overheating problem.
Show us:
 - diagrams showing temperature of your PC while idle, while playing and while running some benchmark. This should finally make sure nothing is wrong with heating
 - check out windows diagnostics for errors etc.
 - make sure your drivers are up to date
 - how does it shutdown? Is it like you play and screen goes off and computers stop working at same time, or maybe screen stays for second? Or maybe PC shutdown a moment after screen shutdown.
 - Have you tried playing other opengl games?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
I experience this also, but only on my Desktop. I'm hoping it was just the old thermal paste, haven't had time to try it with the new paste.