Author Topic: Status Quo Match Server  (Read 1698 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Status Quo Match Server
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:58:18 AM »
The server is now up. The Matchbot should be setup in #team_sQ in the next few days. This server is located in Toronto, same as 3iob pub. We will most likely be getting 1 or 2 more match servers, but aren't fully sure at this point.

To get a map on the server: PM Kazee or MyeRs on IRC, although we cannot upload the maps, we will check them out, get the download link, then bother CoLoN to upload them.

Question: If we were to get another 2 servers, whats your opinion on what we need most? 2 match 1 pub? 3 match no pub? 2 match 1 speed? etc..

shep

• VM-68
Re: Status Quo Match Server
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:39:32 AM »
2 match 1 speed :)

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:47:55 AM »
3 matchs

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
A server in texas...

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:48:53 AM »
Hmm. Well we could look into getting say... 3 match servers with cmd's of !match1 !match2 !match3  and match1 could be a Toronto serv, 2 a Texas serv, 3 located somewhere else. But it depends, since the site for the current server, only hosts servers in Toronto or Vancouver, which are rather cheaper in price. If we can find another site with the priceranger around the same, we could look into it. I'll try my best.

EDIT: Seems the other places are all rather expensive... If anyone knows of places where we can host a texas/or other server, for tops 15 a month let me know.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:30:12 AM by MyeRs »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
If you know how to set up a linux server you might consider this company:

http://cheapvps.co.uk/plans

Flip and Viciouz used them for UTI servers in England, but they also have a server spot in Texas, and their cheapest package is 10 bucks a month, and has plenty of specs for dp.

The second package is 20 a month and they ran three servers on it. That would be considerably cheaper than three configured servers from Extreme Cyber Games, as they are $1.50 per slot.  Even Three 8 slot servers with ECG would run you 36 bucks a month.

The other advantage is that they have separate, fixed, US pricing, so that you don't have the always fluctuating dollar vs. Canadian Dollar issue.

Viciouz, being in England, and most likely having played on the server, could tell you the most about their ping, quality, etc.

Here is info on the host they use in Texas, Colo4dallas:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=674081

Now if you plan on going the speed route, just know that right now I think joezam has that pretty well tied up. My server gets traffic when I put a few friends in and folks see it, but Joezam has pretty steady traffic overall, so the inertia is there, and folks seem to like it (though I struggle with some of the settings and maps).

But if you do run a speed server I will likely kill mine or just put it to a new focus.

Death match server anyone?

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

Death match server anyone?

Yeah +1 for DM server

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »
http://artofwarcentral.com/

pretty heap with sites all over the U.S. and Europe, possibly one Central one Eastern? =D

EDIT: if you choose quake 2 as the server they install all mods for you and private servers are $2 cheaper each month so possibly 3 matches?