Author Topic: lag issues  (Read 5623 times)

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
lag issues
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
What would cause this kind of netgraph and how would you go about fixing it.

It shouldn't be my internet...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: lag issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »
THat's packet loss.

Better check what's running on your network.

And yes, it could also be youir ISP.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
My computer is the only one on in the network and dp and vent are the only services running besides my anti virus and firewall.

My internet cuts out a lot when I'm streaming music or youtube and is fixed by turning my router off then on again.  I have an older Linksys WRT54G from maybe 2-3 years ago.  Could that have anything to do with the issue because it's never happened to me before at my home.

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
My computer is the only one on in the network and dp and vent are the only services running besides my anti virus and firewall.

take the anti virus off for now

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
My internet cuts out a lot when I'm streaming music or youtube and is fixed by turning my router off then on again.  I have an older Linksys WRT54G from maybe 2-3 years ago.  Could that have anything to do with the issue because it's never happened to me before at my home.
Yep, that's exactly it. It could be your router, wireless card (assuming that's what you're doing), or ISP...

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
I'm not using wireless but it probably is my router.  I assume buying a new one would be the only fix then.  What are good routers these days?

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
take the anti virus off for now

Um i wouldnt take that advice.... Nick do you even know what your talking about?

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:45:14 PM »
I always lag from my protection so told him  about it do you know what i'm talking about?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Off topic post to end this virus excrement.

If you turn your virus software off it will stop doing everything that it is currently doing, blocking unwanted packets, watching every program that is trying to start up, so I have a better idea, why don't you tell the virus software to be quiet about Paintball and allow anything related to paintball be allowed through without any problems.  Problem solved.

I had a Linksys router, pretty much the same model as that and I ended up returning it to the shop, as it was basically the excrementtest thing on earth.  For the past couple of years I've had 2 routers running in the house, 1st one was the original router (Belkin) and I had no problems with it, and then I got a ADSL2+ Modem and Router thing from D-Link and it seems to work fine, no problems at all really.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
Thanks Cameron.  I will never buy a Linksys again.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
Update the firmware if you haven't already. I had the same packet loss problem with that router and it was sorted after I updated the firmware on it.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »
What firmware did you get?

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:17 AM »
I just downloaded the newest firmware that they had out at the time... it was sometime last year. Go to http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G/download and select your version number (it should say your version number on the router's sticker somewhere, I think it's on the bottom), then download firmware on the left. Then just run the .exe and you should be good to go.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
ok heres another problem with lag that i have been having and i have two plausible ideas.

First off ill say that i am on a wireless connect (which may be problem number one) however the conection is perfect at a 100%.

The problem is that ill be playing a game (mostly css) and EXACTLY every ten seconds ill have a ping spike and when i say spike i mean from 35 to 240 and this lasts probably one second.

My guess is that my router is checking the connection or something every ten seconds. I have tried to disable my wireless zero configuration on both computers but that was not the problem. I get a small choke spike like up to 14 but im guessing thats my rates and i have NO loss whatsoever.

I have no clue how to fix this and i would love the help if you think i should start a new thread lemme know. or knack, or someone could u make one for me?

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »
Well it does sound like it's refreshing the connection every ten seconds.  I know there's a windows setting somewhere for that that I've read about.  To be honest, probably the only sure fix is to just go wired. :/

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
its probably the wireless roaming for new networks. just get rid of wireless all together if youre wanting a solid connection for gaming.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
I think I just pissed myself when I saw the dl speed.  I've never gotten anything above 7mb before.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
you from PA br? I had a 10mb dl/1.5mb up when I lived in PA... although I had comcast... it was under their basic "cable" plan too, which was cheap.

When they turned my university's packateer off a few months ago :O

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 01:23:48 AM »
Lucky you, my college is like 1mb down if I'm lucky.  But like 1.5mb up.

MaX_OwnAge

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 08:55:10 AM »
Br55Hit, so did the firmware update fix your problem? Just curious. IMO Linksys has gotten much better since they were bought out by Cisco. It is still low-end, but I think it is some of the better low-end hardware.