Author Topic: Req: KOTH tutorial  (Read 1478 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Req: KOTH tutorial
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:49:24 AM »
I would like to know which game modes and which entities must be used for the KOTH so I could experiment making a few ents for some existing ctf maps.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Req: KOTH tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »
A gamemode of 16 for KOTH entities (also needs to be in the worldspawn).  To make things simple, I added a "hill" entity.  You can also use a flag, either as an indicator or for the player to touch.  I generally place a flag in the center and use the hill entity to expand the touchable area.  Note that you can add trigger entities to .ent files using "mins" and "maxs", but you will most likely need to set a "model" to keep the game from crashing (I've fixed this for a few entities).

So you could do something like,
{
"classname" "flag"
"origin" "0" "0" "0"
"gamemode" "16"
}
{
"classname" "hill"
"mins" "-128 -128 0"
"maxs" "128 128 64"
"model" "models/items/ammo/tris.md2" // to keep it from crashing
"gamemode" "16"
}

You can also do some creative things like add "grabable" "1" to a flag, and be able to do weird hybrids of KOTH/CTF.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:04:08 AM »
I always wanted to make a farmyard map with a custom pig model for the flag... Capture the Pig...
That's completely offtopic though.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »
 Would "grabable" allow you to grab the center flag and leave that area with it?  I was thinking a hybrid of KOTH which you could do this might be fun.  This would be like kill the chicken or whatever that mod is was, but it could be interesting and fun to play.  Just so you understand: I'm talking about grabbing the center flag and running off and hiding with it or I suppose if you want you could rush into the middle of the pack.  The carrier would get points as in KOTH  DM mode would probably work best for that though.  Yea, I know, hiding with the flag would be boring for some... but oh well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 11:35:01 PM »
Grabable just makes it act like a regular flag.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:14:04 AM »
...but in KOTH mode.