Author Topic: New Map - The Seige of Antioch  (Read 5267 times)

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
New Map - The Seige of Antioch
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
I took the source file for Antioch and converted the map into a seige map.  Havent had time to get screenshots yet, but here is the bsp file for the beta:

http://www.taloncomputing.us/files/paintball2/antiochseige_beta.bsp
http://www.taloncomputing.us/files/paintball2/antiochseige_beta2.bsp
 - OLD VERSIONS

http://www.taloncomputing.us/files/paintball2/antiochseige_pr1.bsp -Newest version

Hope yall like it.

EDIT -

Here are some screens

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 08:50:22 PM by Burt_Gummer »

Crash

• PGP
Re: New Map - The Seige of Antioch
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 02:39:04 AM »
one question, why?

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 07:38:22 AM »
My roommate here at college thought it would be a good idea, and I think its a nice twist on an old favorite of mine.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:22:02 AM »
That map is good. Really.

There is a bug, when i run forward to the left waterfall (pic 2), i fall and fall and fall. Out of the map.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »
You might want to ask dirtytaco for permission. You dont just remake maps with out permission and why cant people just design there own maps? STOP MAKING REMAKES.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »
Clipz -
     I did ask for the map source in an earlier thread if you woulda done some searching.  Also, as I have said before, it makes an interesting twist to an old favorite.  This is a seige map, not a team vs team CTF like the old Antioch was.

As for the bug, I haven't had much time to debug it.  I have been mainly working on the structure of it.  I will do some testing on that today.  From the screenshots I assume you are using Build 15.  I do my testing in Build 14 (which is my default install, but I have Build 15 installed as well.  I use BSP for Build 15 to make the maps though . . .).  Anyways, I will check on that bug in both versions and post back what I found.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Why cant you design your own maps? its ripping people off?

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »
Why cant you design your own maps? its ripping people off?

How exactly do you rip people off when no one is getting paid for it anyway?  Here at college, people who play paintball2 on the LAN here love seige maps and didn't like the way antioch only had a limited number of guns at the spawn points (on weekends we can get up to 20 people playing on one server).  Plus, this map seemed like a perfect candidate for a seige map makeover, AND this map has no other remakes (excluding antioch2 and antioch3 - which are in no way like it).  And if Jitspoe and DirtyTaco gave me the source when I asked for it, why do you care anyway?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »
Because this game needs different maps not the same meddling ones. design your own excrement.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:09:38 PM »
Bug Report for T3RR0R15T -

I have found that the only time this happens is when you are in observer mode (in both versions).  Even with a big clip brush in place behind the waterfall, you still fall right through.  I think it is because of that "secret" door I put inside the base.  Lemme try taking that out and seeing what happens.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
wow, give the guy a break. i don't think its ripping him off at all. he acknowledges that its not his map, he doesn't try to say, "look at the map i just made from scratch"

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 02:28:20 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:56:28 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
Update on bug -

It was the "secret" door.  I guess I will just have to remove the door or figure out somethin else to do with it.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »
Quick question:

ERROR: Game Error: ED_Alloc: no free edicts
==== ShutdownGame ====

That happens whenever I try to throw a paint grenade through one of the side tower windows.

Any ideas?

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
And this only happens in build 14.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »
Your map must be using too many entities.  I'll take a look at it later.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »
It works fine in build 15, but keeps crashing in build 14.  Entities seemed to look fine to me.  The only entities that I have in there are some sound emitters, fog emitters, triggers, a couple of test hint brushes in the main door, tunnel entrance by the side of the castle, and at the top of the hill in the front of the castle.  I cannot think of any more . . . however, I have found that some of the objects have 3 brushes that make them, and all of the brushes are exactly the same shapes.  Two are a textured brush and one is a hint brush.  I wonder if that makes any difference . . .

EDIT -

LOL it was my stupid server.cfg file that I was exec'ing.  I had forgot I was testing some mods to the paint grenades:

set pbgren_ballsperburst 5000
set pbgren_bursts 20

That would definitely do it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 07:57:57 PM by Burt_Gummer »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »
Map looks kinda Dr. Suess
so may colors

-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 03:30:17 AM »
You need to clean up all the old garbage left over from the original map and fix a bunch of the texture alignment issues.  Also, it doesn't seem like it vised very well.  Sometimes puffs  from the waterfall will come through the wall, even though those should be entirely sealed off by vis.  There may be some cracks in the wall or something, or you may need to use hint brushes to help ensure the outside area isn't rendered when you're inside.  Why did you remove the railing?  The flag is hard enough to get to as it is (that's one thing I never liked about antioch/kcliffs, it was WAY too easy to camp the flags).  Yeah, there are extra entrances, but guarding the flag shouldn't be a simple task for 1 person.  I'd also suggest adding more lights inside the castle.  That was the other problem with the original map -- it was hard to see anybody once you got into the base.

I'm also trying to figure out what the point of the button driven doors is.  It doesn't look like people can enter from that direction, so closing them really serves no purpose.  The buttons themselves look pretty decent, though, compared to the buttons in most maps, although I don't know how well they fit the castle theme.  Same with all the elevators.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »
I'm also trying to figure out what the point of the button driven doors is.  It doesn't look like people can enter from that direction, so closing them really serves no purpose.

Actually, that was a test I forgot to remove.  I have been working on it a good bit and once I recompile it later tonight I will put up a new version on my website.  I am pretty sure that I sealed off the area where the smoke is coming through.  As for the railings, I haven't done anything with those, I think they were added in after the .map file I got from you guys was made.  I have a version with all my current changes that has been vis'ed and everything that we use in LAN games on the network where I am.  Gimme a few minutes and I will have that posted up on my website.

EDIT -

Grab the latest one from my website:

http://www.taloncomputing.us/files/paintball2/antiochseige_pr1.bsp

Also, the last few screens:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 08:53:18 PM by Burt_Gummer »