Author Topic: Maps - Waffle, Salem  (Read 2288 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Maps - Waffle, Salem
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Ive been working on 3 maps Waffle, Salem and caspersworld. Ive completed waffle and salem caspersworld will be released in the near future you can download salem and waffle here: http://egamers.mygamesters.com/waffle&salem.zip

Matze

• 68 Carbine
Re: Maps - Waffle, Salem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »
Allright, salem is ok. Multi-path map and no auto spawn with weapons. But in my oppinon the light in the purple base is way too flashy. Red base is better at that.

I dont like waffle this much.Cant really point anything out, i just dont feel good palying on it.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:54:50 PM »
Yeah its a medium size balanced map with alot of ways hard to camp.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:00:47 PM »
I think the ladders on "waffle" are a bit to big. ;D
Also, the ways are very unbalanced. There are ways which need more than 30 seconds to get to the other base, others are <10.

Salam is good, because of the higher and the lower path which take nearly the same time to get to the other base. Like Matze allready said, the purple light is crazy. If I jump in that light more than 1 minute, my eyes start hurting  :-\ .

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
Yeah i made them for public play not for match. Im going to fix salem sometime. Waffle was a design i started about 2 years ago +. When brewsky had a clan called waffle, i got bored of the map then and i didnt work on it for a long time but i picked it back up and decided to finish it the ladders are cool haha, even though there HUGE

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »
Salem:
This reminds me of the first map I ever made for Quake where I just tried to put as much crazy junk in as I could.  If you seriously want to release it, it's going to need a lot of work.
- Colored lighting is overkill.
- The vertical water that you can swim up looks bad and makes no sense.
- Lots of misaligned brushes.
- Even more misaligned textures.
- Having huge piles of equipment causes poor framerates and network issues.  Place things in strategic locations so that only a few are visible at once, or just spawn people with weapons (or do a mix of both).  There's no reason to have rows of equipment in the bases.
- The large... beams you climb up to get out of the base are almost as goofy as the water.  Not to mention the fact that you leave yourself very vulnerable exiting in this fashion.
- The ramp jumps in the middle are unbalanced.  One is easy to make, and the other is further away.
- The overall construction of the map is very bland and unrealistic.  The rock walls are all perfectly flat and square.  Wooden structures are square and extremely thick.  Nothing looks natural.

Waffle:
- Tries to load clip texture from e1u1
- Spindles look really goofy with the thick bottoms.  Plus the wood on spindles is only about an inch thick, anyway, not 2 feet.
- There's not much that distinguishes one area of the map from another.
- Building words out of brushes is ghetto (even worse if it's your name). :)
- The ladders look like somebody didn't know how to change the grid size.
- I think all of the small boxes have misaligned textures.
- The textures on some of the barrels are whacked out -- parts of them look like they're stretched and flipped.
- The, uh, waffles? are mostly unlit.  Several of them are off-center, and sometimes they overlap, causing z-fighting (weird flickery effects).

It could have some interesting gameplay with all the different paths, but visually it's about 10 years outdated.

nXe

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »
This reminds me of the first map I ever made for Quake where I just tried to put as much crazy junk in as I could.  If you seriously want to release it, it's going to need a lot of work.

I laughed... out loud.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »
yeah like i said i didnt care i just tossed them out.