Author Topic: Introducing PBCup Summer 2009 4v4 League  (Read 37073 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Introducing PBCup Summer 2009 4v4 League
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »
I would never dream of playing on an Aussie server.
And that just really helps getting it going, doesn't it...
What real-world sports  teams would agree to the following scenario?
Tennis, Football, every kid that plays sport knows that they either play at Home or Away.  Then later on in the season they get the opposite against the same time.

Btw, I was sorta being sarcastic with my post if you didn't realise.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2009, 02:51:35 AM »
Why insisting on tie maps? Since it's so darn hard and every time someone will have something to say about the tie map ping issue.

Tie maps are  used in matching/scrimming.

So here, the only thing is question of format. If you play same map - once on USA, once on EU server and winner is who scores more combined, that would make tie map unnecessary. Also adjust score system so it would fit in.

And don't give me the crap that rules are set. Question is do you want whole DP community to participate and to have fair tournament or for NA community only.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2009, 06:22:21 AM »
There are ways to have a fair international cup but people just still keep posting and whining how it cannot be made fair instead of actually using brain and thinking how it can be done. People are just skeptical and dumb. Playing in a server with 150-200 ping is not that bad. People like m7feettall could just drop out if its so bad. Euros have won americans in their servers many times and the other way around. Playing with a lower ping is like a homefield advantage which you can see in the real sports.

And people, it's an internet game. The ability of playing these cups is important, not winning. It doesnt ruin your life if you lose. Stop the god darn whining.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
Why insisting on tie maps? Since it's so darn hard and every time someone will have something to say about the tie map ping issue.

Tie maps are  used in matching/scrimming.

So here, the only thing is question of format. If you play same map - once on USA, once on EU server and winner is who scores more combined, that would make tie map unnecessary. Also adjust score system so it would fit in.

And don't give me the crap that rules are set. Question is do you want whole DP community to participate and to have fair tournament or for NA community only.

NA community only. Glad we finally got to this stage.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:50 AM »
And that just really helps getting it going, doesn't it...

You need aussies to get it going. Go find them.

Tennis, Football, every kid that plays sport knows that they either play at Home or Away.  Then later on in the season they get the opposite against the same time.

You quoted my scenario and then ignored it.

Ping is different than just playing in someone else's home town.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2009, 08:07:38 AM »
Glad you finally said it and that whole scharade is over so now you can put some steem off from one of you many faces on 1311 and similars.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2009, 08:09:34 AM »
There are ways to have a fair international cup but people just still keep posting and whining how it cannot be made fair instead of actually using brain and thinking how it can be done. People are just skeptical and dumb. Playing in a server with 150-200 ping is not that bad. People like m7feettall could just drop out if its so bad. Euros have won americans in their servers many times and the other way around. Playing with a lower ping is like a homefield advantage which you can see in the real sports.

And people, it's an internet game. The ability of playing these cups is important, not winning. It doesnt ruin your life if you lose. Stop the god darn whining.

If it is not so bad to play with 150 to 200 ping and you can beat Americans under those conditions then there is no reason to cater to you by allowing Euro servers in the tournament.

Feel free to play on American terms on the eR33t servers. And if anyone over in Europe does not like the high pings, then as you said, they can drop out.

Surely they can't complain about losing because of pings then because according to you winning doesn't matter.

Now as to addressing folks coming up with fair alternatives--I already did suggest one, but someone would have to put some money up to try it on the UK servers Viciouz talked about. 

If you play same map - once on USA, once on EU server and winner is who scores more combined, that would make tie map unnecessary. Also adjust score system so it would fit in.

Who would pick the one map for the finals etc. in this scenario? And would you have the map that both teams played set out for each match ahead of time for all teams?

Just seeing how this would work out?

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »
Yes, maps would be decided in advance from cup organisator. Finals would also be played on 2 same maps.

But we can drop it since Bix obviously stated this is not for us. So any further comment on format is waste of time.

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
sure it would work with champions league settings, final would be on a NA server. easy
some good time for NAs wich is moderate for EUs. shouldnt be too hard.
thats all. easy? sure it is. but thats not the point. some people here just dont want to play european people. face it. stop making excuses, stop whining. Its all said now, its a NA only cup, however it isnt the pbcup.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
some people here just dont want to play european people.

This person doesn't want to play with bad pings. I won't even play on s2k's servers, which are in the US, because I ping over 100 to them.  Apparently a lot of other folks in the USA feel the same. Saying it is about nationalities is just stirring up trouble. It is about bad ping.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
Ping is different than just playing in someone else's home town.

*See Bolivia National football team. Less air == low ping :D

/rape

(apologies m7, but your character seems to have changed somewhat recently)

Anyway, don't call it PBCup, and everyone is happy. PBCup should be reserved as a global tournament, this is the issue Europeans are having a problem with.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
*See Bolivia National football team. Less air == low ping :D

/rape

(apologies m7, but your character seems to have changed somewhat recently)

Anyway, don't call it PBCup, and everyone is happy. PBCup should be reserved as a global tournament, this is the issue Europeans are having a problem with.

I agree that in the example you list there is an extreme home field advantage. Is that the norm? No.

And I confess I don't follow soccer much. Do they host many international events in Bolivia's mountains? Or do they look for more even playing fields?

And does that advantage reverse when they go to the other hometown? If not then consider eR33t servers your Bolivian equivalent. You are coming to an event they are hosting and must live with the penalty.

You all say you want something fair. But alternating very unfair conditions is not actually fair. It just means that the team that gets two maps on the bad conditions is likely to lose.

And at no point can you have both teams playing at their top level.

And how have I changed because I don't want to play with high ping?

I have had the same position on that point all along. As anyone who was in InT with me could tell you I did not like to match folks across the pond due to ping issues. I made it very clear then and do now.

You all want to make it a national issue when it is a practical issue. Branding folks as ethnocentric because they don't want headaches associated with high ping and different time zones is smearing.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:20:24 AM by m7feettall »

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:19 AM »
that sounds pretty homo, there wasnt even 1 european server when i started playing dp. And it doesnt realy make a diff if you ping 80 or 130 it just looks big. and we had servers for the pbcup where euros pinged 120-140 and yankees 60-100 or kinda. that was pretty cool. You have to understand that this game isnt based on a american community its based on a global community. But as others have mentioned, complaining is pointles since you guys dont want to play european ppl. The matter is that its just not the pbcup and a NA only cup shouldnt deserve a sub-forum. Just because one of the organisators of the pbcup hosts it doesnt mean its the pbcup :/
gtfo with that ping excuse, as mentioned, the home away system would make things fair - absolutely. i quess youre not the best player with a low ping so why are you scared to play with a high ping? thats not helpfull for the community.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
This American cup having a sub-forum is definitely unfair. Europaint never had a sub-forum here. One could understand why the PBCup had this, but what you're organising now is not at all like that previous cup.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »
You obviously didn't read my message at all, m7. But since it seems to be an american cup, i have nothing to say anymore.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
Boo-hoo it's just not fair... if the germans get their own sub forum, I want a sub forum for all my french canadian pals.

A lot of you are forgetting about PBCup #1, #2, and #3,  a series of very successful 1-day cups that were organized by eR33t on our original servers. What about the pbcup.com domain we own or #pbcup, are we not allowed to use these because they got involved with some attempt at running a league with europeans 3 years ago? I really wanted to call the 2006 one "PB World Cup" once we decided to have european teams, but it sounded kind've lame and I already had the domain name.

A name is a name.. a forum is a forum. We could call this eGCup and post updates in the Clans, Matches, and Tournaments board just to make everyone happy but what's the point?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2009, 11:29:08 AM »
Bain dont try to twist this around. The forums don't belong to you or er33t. Theres a german sub-forum because theres a lot of germans in this game. And where this cup is going it certainly won't have as many teams as europaint, let alone more.

This is an eR33t tournament made for eR33t to win. It does not deserve a sub-forum.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
Did you ever ask for a Europaint sub-forum?

If not then you have no idea whether one would be granted.

And Henkka I did read your message. I was simply pointing out that if high ping is not that bad then you shouldn't have a problem playing on all USA servers.

If it is that bad then you have no reason to downplay the problem.

Bain dont try to twist this around. The forums don't belong to you or er33t.
Seems like Bain made a good argument to me.

They own the irc, they own the website, they hosted the first events using the name.

Why should they not be able to use the name? 

If you think it is a problem that they use the forum then ask Jits to remove it.

Or just ask him to add a Europaint forum.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
It was never asked for europaint for obvious reasons. Imagine if every cup had a sub-forum. It's like you said, they own their channel, some website (what website btw?) and they hosted the first ones. So yeah they can use the name they want. But this cup does NOT deserve a sub-forum.

I won't ask jitspoe excrement because he has more important things on his probably. I'm just saying it's unfair. And it is. Doesn't even have arguments the other way around.

But this discussion is stupid, noone really cares if this has a sub-forum or not. It's just unfair.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
lol

We are just arguing for the sake of it now :D

Anyway just a bit of nostalgia on my part, I'd just always associate PBCup with that great tournament me, blaa and tze got pummelled in. Probably don't get told it enough, but thank you er33t for getting something together, I hope it goes well, European servers or not. A lot of the Euros are agitated because they know that you can run a good tournament, and they just want to be part of it, you should be taking all this arguing as a compliment if nothing else.

(also, suck it americans)