Author Topic: Introducing PBCup Summer 2009 4v4 League  (Read 37068 times)

b00nlander

• Autococker
Re: Introducing PBCup Summer 2009 4v4 League
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
A lot of you are forgetting about PBCup #1, #2, and #3,  a series of very successful 1-day cups that were organized by eR33t on our original servers.

Ah yes, good old times. My first tournament, back in the good days :P

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »
I'm sorry Maga. When you have another valid point feel free to argue, just please don't argue for the sake of arguing.

If you don't want us to not have a sub-forum, please go to the PBCup sub-forum and complain.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
If i remember correctly didn't pbcup get a sub forum because it is one of the larger tournaments that requires a lot of different threads. For example they report the outcome of a match, and also threads where people try to get a hold of some one from another clan so that they can set up their match, and also the threads that leave details about rules, match times and other important stuff. With all the information left on the forum for PBcup it makes sense that they get a sub forum just for organizational sake. It helps keep the tournament threads separate from the everyday clans and matches stuff. Also, I don't think anyone would freak out if you wanted to use this subforum for a eurocup, if it were on at a different time (to keep the two tournaments from getting mixed up). And I don't suspect there being any problems for you if you really need a subforum of your own to help you make a tournament. I don't understand why peanut butter cup is a international title.

But i don't really care about that nonsense.

I'm here to ask... Are there going to be shoutcasts or what ever you call them. And will you be leaving demos of every match for all to see, somewhere on the site. It would be nice to see a nice pretty little bracket that shows completed matches, the scores, links to demos of the matches, and possibly links to the commentary of the matches. That way there can be in some way a chance for spectators to enjoy the tournament, as well as teach noobies how to match correctly (strategy and what not), and also maybe entice other players to join the next PBcup. Also if this bracket were made with all the essentials, then it would provide a history, and allow future players to look back and see how a properly run tournament is done, and allow future players to see some of the people playing today. If you don't understand what i mean then i could draw a mockup on paint and show it to. I wouldn't know how to actually make it however.

Think about it, think, think, think about it!

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »

I'm here to ask... Are there going to be shoutcasts or what ever you call them. And will you be leaving demos of every match for all to see, somewhere on the site. It would be nice to see a nice pretty little bracket that shows completed matches, the scores, links to demos of the matches, and possibly links to the commentary of the matches. That way there can be in some way a chance for spectators to enjoy the tournament, as well as teach noobies how to match correctly (strategy and what not), and also maybe entice other players to join the next PBcup. Also if this bracket were made with all the essentials, then it would provide a history, and allow future players to look back and see how a properly run tournament is done, and allow future players to see some of the people playing today. If you don't understand what i mean then i could draw a mockup on paint and show it to. I wouldn't know how to actually make it however.

Think about it, think, think, think about it!

Some of this will probably happen. These decisions will be made in the coming days.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Alright, lets take tennis as the sport.  Surface is relatively equal to ping.  You might play home on a synthetic grass surface and have a lower ball bounce, and then go away to a club that has rebound ace where the ball will bound a lot higher.  Thats pretty much equal with ping, as you have to change your gameplay, so instead of hitting balls that bounce low, you have to hit them a bit higher.  And why are we still arguing?  Theres no point anyway.

Also, what the hell is your fuss with playing on a s2k server.  100 ping boo hoo, at least they are there.  You seem to only be able to support your LOCAL dp scene, and no-one else.  I reallllly want you to come over here for 2 weeks and watch you whine on the forums about having a 200 ping all the time, you couldn't live with the way you seem to act towards ping.

(apologies m7, but your character seems to have changed somewhat recently)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »

Also, what the hell is your fuss with playing on a s2k server.  100 ping boo hoo, at least they are there.  You seem to only be able to support your LOCAL dp scene, and no-one else.  I reallllly want you to come over here for 2 weeks and watch you whine on the forums about having a 200 ping all the time, you couldn't live with the way you seem to act towards ping.

What is my fuss with playing on an s2k server?  I am not upset with s2k's 100 ping because I don't play there.  Why play on a server with high ping when there are ones with low ping?  Folks play what works for them. Therefore Super's and eR33t's more centrally located servers get played more than s2ks.

Even in the US where we have servers to play on  I am currently renting a dp server because I enjoy the speed style now and again and there wasn't a lot of that going on.  So if  I were in your country and was worried about it I could always rent a server and get some friends to play, or just not play dp.

Is there some problem in Australia that we are not aware of that server costs are much higher? Maybe so. But if not, and you want those lower pings then put some money up. That is what eR33t did. And now they want to use the servers they paid for to host an event. Great for them.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2009, 04:23:37 AM »
Is there some problem in Australia that we are not aware of that server costs are much higher? Maybe so.
Uhh, yeah, quite a bit more expensive if you want a good connection, as good connections require a fair amount of money over here, as our internet is sorta excrement.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
You see Cameron, we Americans enjoy our low ping, just as we enjoy our guns, wasteful lifestyles, overspending, and sheer arrogance. Take one of these away from us and we whine, cry and complain until we get our way. That is the American way.

Furthermore, we believe that ignorance is bliss. We may be ignorant, but hell, at least we're happy.

/endlolcriticism.

On a side note, aren't American servers better for Europeans ping wise? As in, does Europe even have the fios infrastructure that cities such as Dallas, Chicago, Miami, NYC, etc. have?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »
On a side note, aren't American servers better for Europeans ping wise?

To answer quickly, nope, obviously not. :)

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
To answer quickly, nope, obviously not. :)
That's not what I meant.  For a European playing on an American server compared to an American playing on a European server... It seems American datacentres are better in this regard because the Europeans always ping lower on our servers than we do on European servers.  Same goes for the Aussies who ping lower on our servers than the European ones. Was just wondering if this had to do with better American infrastructure in regards to datacentres and whatnot.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »
oh, that. Yeah America probably has better infrastructures. But ping wise it ends up being the same excrement, because you have better internet too. You get me? You have better servers and internet so it evens things.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
I ping 230 to the European servers since I live on the west coast. You ping 150 to our servers. :-/

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
what do you want me to tell you? If I get a guy from Ukrain he'll ping 350 to your servers. Think a bit before posting please. :)

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
just pointing out that the matches are more fair on our servers, although not completely fair.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:49:39 PM by Dirty_Taco »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »
You see Cameron, we Americans enjoy our low ping, just as we enjoy our guns, wasteful lifestyles, overspending, and sheer arrogance. Take one of these away from us and we whine, cry and complain until we get our way. That is the American way.

By all means feel free to move if you feel guilt over your heritage of decent internet. 

Uhh, yeah, quite a bit more expensive if you want a good connection, as good connections require a fair amount of money over here, as our internet is sorta excrement.

In looking around I compared the cheapest AU server hosting place I could to Extreme gamers which the Canadian outfit several use around here for pre-configured 16 slot servers.

Australian prices were a fair amount higher.

A 16 slot CS 1.6 server with 16 slots was about 40 bucks USA in Australia and 29 in Canada for similar type servers. But that is not so high that it would be prohibitive for folks wanting to get something going.

The point for me is simply that I want to play a game the way it was meant to be with low ping. If I can't do that I just don't play.

Some of the older games I like to play I have trouble finding decent ping servers in my area. So I just don't play them anymore.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:01:05 PM by m7feettall »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2009, 01:37:01 AM »
Pre-configured servers suck.  You don't have control over them what so ever.  Buy some rackspace and you get more for your money in my opinion.  Its really only the connection which is where the price rises as internet costs a whole lotta money here.

Btw, we do get the high speed internet stuff, its just all of the companies over here are intercoursewits and only send out crappy cable connections which you get max 5mbit on.  I get more on my DSL connection, only just though.

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
I ping 230 to the European servers since I live on the west coast. You ping 150 to our servers. :-/

i ping 200 on yours..

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:04 AM »
Woah, i bet no european pings that low to the er33t-servers. I ping easily over 200 to the er33ts. But it wouldn't be any fair either way so this is pointless. Still the good and fair way is to play in both servers. The pathetic whiners who cant stand playing in bad server every other match, i can't even find the words for you...

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »
and people call American's whiners? lol

I'm sure even if we named it PBCup American Classic, you'd still whine. I mean, they only wanted to start an American league this time, and eveyone's whining over a simple name, which otherwise would never have gotten used again. No matter what the name, all they want is an American league, so thats what it'll be, since its a lot simpler to set up and schedule. Maybe when we get enough resources and support, we'll turn following leagues international.