Author Topic: Random gun spawns, no resource spawns...what is the big attraction?  (Read 3179 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
I am trying to understand an element of this game.

Why do maps continue to be made with random gun spawns?  Does anyone think it adds an exciting element to the game to randomly spawn with a vm occasionally?

Does anyone like that feature when it is included on a map? If so why.

How many of you enjoy collecting your barrel, your Co2, your gun, your hopper, hitting the air button, etc. each round? Does that add to the enjoyment for you?

I understand on some match maps it may be an important differentiating element. But should it be?

Some maps even put everything you need in one neat pile in front of you. So then why not just spawn with it to start with?

Now I personally do not like either of these. But this is not so much a rant as a question. Do some of you think it adds an important element? Or is it just a holdover?

And for those of you who make maps how do you make the decision to have random gun spawns on some maps, or to not include spawned resources?

MyeRs

• Autococker
Maps like... Crimethink, it adds important elements. It could be played fine without it, but with random spawns it's not as much of a linefest. If you take the time to find everything, you can get grab/capped on. So you just grab an item here and there and hope for the best. I like starting with weapons or easy to find weapons on maps, but depending on the map, random spawns can add an important element.

Pbcup_sassault, If a team picks it you pick your colour. So their map, you choose the better guns. They can call their map restart, but so can we. It adds an element of not sitting back spraying, you find your stuff, and go from there. But thats just my opinion. I haven't seen many maps with gun spawns that ruin the map, although i'd love to try crimethink with the spawn fully loaded, and see how it plays.

m7feettall

• Autococker
Maps like... Crimethink, it adds important elements. It could be played fine without it, but with random spawns it's not as much of a linefest. If you take the time to find everything, you can get grab/capped on. So you just grab an item here and there and hope for the best. I like starting with weapons or easy to find weapons on maps, but depending on the map, random spawns can add an important element.

Pbcup_sassault, If a team picks it you pick your colour. So their map, you choose the better guns. They can call their map restart, but so can we. It adds an element of not sitting back spraying, you find your stuff, and go from there. But thats just my opinion. I haven't seen many maps with gun spawns that ruin the map, although i'd love to try crimethink with the spawn fully loaded, and see how it plays.

I could make an ent that would let you try that if you like. I am doing so for many maps currently. Crimethink is a narrow map in some places, but it is sufficiently large that spraying isn't the biggest factor.

I guess you have to decide how much stuff to get. But to me that is just taking time out of playing instead of getting to play right away. I hate finding each little thing and usually avoid that maps that make me do so.

The only thing that it adds to me is the option to rush and pgp on maps like pbcup.  But I think even that map is more fun with guns already loaded. I have that ent already done and we have played it on the server.

To me on each map the idea  should be to have equal equipment so everyone has the same chance. Let them make their strategy decisions such as positioning or angles, but not let the round be decided on who was spawned closest to the tracer.

We were just on Supers pub and they were playing the beta of banleuie or however you spell that (I just put random vowels in there at the end).  And Super was noting that yellow has all good guns and blue spawns fairly often with vm.  That is just a poor way to make a map.

You mention the clan scene picking sides based on the guns. But why not have the game decided on who is better not who got the best gun spawn?

Isn't that why the shaz22 fix was made for instance to fix the barrel disparity?

Otherwise any team that actually likes a map can't pick it because the other team can consistently hamstring them.

On pubs the situation is even worse.  Spawning without resources on a 16 slot server can often mean getting no gun.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
I think its essential to not spawn with guns on maps like shazam22 and pbcup, because you could just rush mid and it would be chaos. So maps like those I don't really mind refilling air and getting my gun. But maps like crimethink, where everything is spread out and you have to like follow a trail to get all your stuff, when the map is that big, I think it would be nice to respawn with guns, or at least have all the stuff in a pile together.

m7feettall

• Autococker
I think its essential to not spawn with guns on maps like shazam22 and pbcup, because you could just rush mid and it would be chaos. So maps like those I don't really mind refilling air and getting my gun. But maps like crimethink, where everything is spread out and you have to like follow a trail to get all your stuff, when the map is that big, I think it would be nice to respawn with guns, or at least have all the stuff in a pile together.

Many still do rush mid quite quickly on shaz22.  By the time you are partway across the bridge you are firing.

And Shazz33 still manages to be popular despite folks rushing mid quite often and spawning with guns.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
You can play S22 without rushing?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Its not just about spawning with or without the things, its about what you spawn with / pick up nowadays.  What happened to the trracer and stingray?  Personally I think they just died out and went to nothing.

m7feettall

• Autococker
  What happened to the trracer and stingray?  Personally I think they just died out and went to nothing.
Yes, because folks hate them and don't want to play maps with them.  The vm is not much better.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
I personally wouldn't mind a map with trracer's and stingrays, as long as the other team had the same guns.

lekky

• Autococker
depends on the map, on the situation. Match maps deserve a smarter type of play, pub maps/matches just for having fun, spawn with it?

Bix

• Autococker
Re: Random gun spawns, no resource spawns...what is the big attraction?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »
Having to get equipment on many of the older maps added a huge level of skill.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
depends on the map, on the situation. Match maps deserve a smarter type of play, pub maps/matches just for having fun, spawn with it?
Theres no category setting that though.  Thats a main reason midnight is not pubbed.  Still, I don't see why people don't make a map for the match scene and have some of the crapper guns in there to give the map a requirement of skill to be able to be matched on, not pubbed.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
I don't get how having to collect a bunch of junk before running out each round equates to match skill.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 01:39:14 AM »
You get the option of either running out with nothing being conservative of what you have, or waiting around and being bombarded by those that rush straight into your face with 10 paint and a PGP.  Take PBCup as an example.  You get a choice of rushing and trying to get a kill, or staying back and loading up and having the chance of being shot at while reloading CO2.  Its all strategy thats kinda gone down the drain now.