Author Topic: Pimp's MapRating  (Read 16856 times)

Pimp

• VM-68
Pimp's MapRating
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »
I had the idea. It was something like a maprating-page for paintball maps. I played with a little php and I created a little page, only the beginn of this page....
But the skeletal structure is done.

The features:

-Register
-Upload and describe your maps
-Your maps get rated by other users and by an official maprating-group
-You can see the best maps... and so on

Have a look at the page i've done yet
http://www.maprating.ch.vu

What do you think about this page/idea, should i continue?

p.s. would be very helpful if someone can provide me some webspace (mapupload, screenshot..)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:43:47 AM by Pimp »

Reed

• VM-68
Re: Pimp's MapRating
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:30:18 PM »
I Think this is a pretty good idea, perhaps you can put all the mapping tips on a tutorial page. I think you need to do two separate pages, one for beta maps which wont be stored for long, and one for final compiles to stop people uploading multiple versions.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »
i like it too, theres a few times i dont go on servers as i dont have the maps, and i would probably check that to see what they are like before (or whilst) i download new maps

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »
you need it in english. , Perhaps a German and a english?

if you do english i would be glad to help you set it up!

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
sweet dude!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:25 PM »
I was thinking it might be good to have something like this on the wiki, but then it might be better to keep the wiki more objective.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »
@smokey: I think I'm able to do it in english, it will not be the best, so i can give it to u to make it a little more... readable. we will see

The Idea with the tutorial is good, i have one little in german, and I can chose a selection from the english tutrials and this will work great

I think you need to do two separate pages, one for beta maps which wont be stored for long, and one for final compiles to stop people uploading multiple versions.

I think thats little circular, you can upload your beta map, and if its done replace it with the final one. I think that should work.

So i will continue, and if something has changed, i will inform you of this.

Edit: rating system done.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:47:24 PM by Pimp »

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 10:41:32 AM »
when do you think this will be functional?

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 11:25:36 AM »
i think it will take something like 1 month, i will go on holidays and the school is hard, but im working on it and i will start it official if i have done the mandatory things.

-the rating system is nearly done...

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 11:09:53 AM »
the test stage of www.maprating.ch.vu began!

Have a look on the page, register an account, try to upload a map, try to give a vote.

Its only a checking, that i can see if everything is working and that i can notice bugs and weak points.

Give me a feedback with pros and cons that i can improve some things.

-all maps and users will be deleted after some weeks, to do after this the official start. Thank you for your understanding.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 01:27:11 AM »
Cool.  Gave it a shot.  It seems to work pretty well.

Some tips for screenshots:
cl_drawhud 0
gl_mode 3

That will keep the screenshots small and clean.

Edit: The map shows up under "Latest maps" and "Best maps" but not "All maps."  Also, there should be ways to have some text comments in there, too -- not just numeric ratings.  Like Pros, cons, and comments.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 02:48:32 AM »
Why bother, isn't it obvious the best maps are? cosmic3, armegeddon, jump, and airtime.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 03:35:41 AM »
In "All Maps" the maps are arrange alphabetically, first A, B, C...  lol and your map begins with 2, thats the problem, i fixed it, perhaps i will find a better solution.

I think that with the comments is very important and i will also do this. I think that everyone can write a comment, and this will appear under the map. Something like this?

And with the rating, i dont know how it is in the usa, but in switzerland :D we think that 10 is the best and 1 the worst, i suppose you think the reverse. I will write some things like 1-worse, 10-great or something like this to make it clear.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 04:10:52 AM »
Generally with ratings it's 1 is the worst, 10 is the best.  Placements are where 1 is better (ie: 1st place, 2nd place, etc.)  I think that's fairly universal, but it won't hurt to clarify.

Another thing that might be good to have is different rating categories to help keep it more objective.  Things like:
- Gameplay
- Lighting
- Item placement
- Texturing
- Construction

So junk like xbmap would get a 1 for lighting, and maps that have 500 autocockers in the base would get a 1 for item placement.  Maps with misaligned/boring textures would get low scores for texturing.  Maps with overlapping/misaligned brushes and box maps would get low scores for construction, etc.  You know - just to make people think a little more.  Probably won't work, but it's just a thought.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 04:36:17 AM »
yeh you'r right, I also thought on something like this, but only the 'official maprating-group' I mentioned, can do this specific rating.

I will clarify what I can do, and we will see

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 03:43:47 AM »
so, the comments are done, everyone can write a comment to every map (you have to be logged in).
the next work will be the specific rating, i think thats a lot of work...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 03:56:15 AM »
Well, it's probably not necessary.  That was just an idea.

I tried to submit a comment and got:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '=' in /usr/export/www/vhosts/funnetwork/hosting/maprating/sessionhelpers.inc.php on line 172

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 04:03:56 AM »
lol try it again, was updating the page :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 05:41:13 AM »
what about allowing multiple screenshots for each map? this way you could allow other users other than the original uploader to add screenies to maps.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
Also, for the thumbnails, you should actually create a new, smaller version of the image instead of just resizing the big one in HTML.  You'll save bandwidth/reduce load time that way.