Author Topic: New map: Urban Night  (Read 19065 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
New map: Urban Night
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »
Okay, i got an idea few days back and whipped up a map.

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/urbann/

Its style is urban, kinda like rooftop, and bases are in warehouses. There are 3 possible routes, but they all kinda go through the mid area.
Spawns are with brass barrel, 7oz loaded gas, vm-68 or spyder and full 100 hopper. Though there are few steel barrels, 4 carbines and 2 autocockers all over the map, so you can get them too.
Base are is pretty tight, so getting the flag out might be hard, but here the grenades come handy.

Hope you have fun :)

EDIT: Duh, forgot to give overall sshot, but now it's there.

EDIT2: If someone has HR texture of that floor, could he give it to me? :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:32:04 AM by JeeJee »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: New map: Urban Night
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
ss's are nice, ima go run around :)

Spartax

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »
wow , i rly like this map you are srsly talented mapper =) ... i should start work with you on a few maps =P

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:10:32 AM »
This map looks really good and really big   :P

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:06 AM »
Wow nice map.
Yet another good one from JeeJee. Will this one go unfinished though? (beta 1, beta 2...)

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
WOW, nice map! Nice lighting. Jumps are ok, too. Good job ;).

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:39 AM »
WOW, nice map! Nice lighting. Jumps are ok, too. Good job ;).

Thanks :P Lightning is something that i worked much on this map. It came out pretty cool, maybe some places could be worked, but we'll see.

Homie

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
DP's Map - Talent :)

hehe looks nice, could be able to play on our next cups, so it would get more popular.. Am looking into it, and if there are less bugs, am thinking about it :-)

Edit: Looks kinda hard :D

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
could be able to play on our next cups

Would be cool, i appreciate that :P
Even though i build this map up really quickly, i haven't noticed any big bugs. R_speeds aren't bad, in mid they went up because of that scaffold, i think :/ But that's an easy fix ;)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
Great job, JeeJee, I'd say this is one of your best maps. Really close to done, as none of us seem to have found any bugs or anything. However, I found just one thing slightly problematic. One of the areas in your map will seem a bit confusing for newer players. Screenshot below. It took me just a bit longer to find out how to be able to get to the other side over the boxes. Most new players don't really jump much, so that might be a problem. Overall, amazing job though.

EDIT: I went and took a look at that area again, and found a way to get over without much "pro" jumping. Still, I suggest to put a small box here.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »
lol, i haven't still put anything there. It isn't much of problem and i'll fix it right away. Though i'll try to find nicer solution than boxes, i don't like box towers much :p

EDIT: I'm also adding an air vent stylish route for you to attack the flag from the side.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
What about a small pot plant? That might work well and be different. Just a suggestion.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »
Yeah, but i don't see plants usually on roof :P I'll think about it

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
Chimney would work i think, And add smoke for detail if you want

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/urbann/

Beta 2 is ready. Not much added, biggest add was that air vent to the base.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »
i just wish u played dp aswell as u make maps :) joke my best finnish friend in real life :)))

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
i just wish u played dp aswell as u make maps

I wish so too... :P

kazee

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
The map looks great but i find some serious gameplay issues with it.  The flag is way to campable.  You might want to add another flag or at least a quick way to grab from fd.  Also the 'mid' area is almost completely pointless.  Going out to mid from either of the high paths puts you right next to the opposite high path of the opposing base so dropping down into mid will take much longer and be useless.  Maybe interconnecting both sides of mid with a few openings might help. A plus is that this map looks great, and is different from most other maps, but for this map to be matched on i think it needs some work.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
Now, back to this map.

Maybe interconnecting both sides of mid with a few openings might help.

Hmm, i think i know what you mean, but could you specify better where i should connect :P Routes aren't really that unbalanced, but attacking from the fd maybe bit difficult, because you expose yourself much earlier than from bd.

The flag is way to campable.  You might want to add another flag or at least a quick way to grab from fd.

Yup, the only problem that i have hard times with. I wouldn't like to add second flag, due to the fact that almost every lately released map has 2 flags.  Fast way from fd, could be a ramp on the catwalk OR an airvent to the right side like there's now on the left side. That's pretty much all i can come up now.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »
Looks very nice.  I love the lights.  You might consider making it a little brighter, though.  You could make a custom batch file to scale the lighting (don't remember offhand, might just be -scale) so you don't have to mess with all of the lights.  The "Urban" text completely killed the mood for me, though.  Looks so cheesy and out of place.

All the wood seems out of place.  Some kind of tar and/or gravel would look a lot better.  Also, the wood shingle texture looks out of place, too (and some of them are upside-down).  The brick texture is also too large.

The windows that you jump through that have the window frame in the middle need some clip brushes.  They're awkward to get through.  You have to crouch or jump, and it's easy to get caught on the sides.

Some direction indicators wouldn't hurt.  I imagine lots of people are going to get lost.

I've put it up on the beta server.