Author Topic: Game completely freezes my comp after 2 minutes  (Read 4875 times)

Dec!

• PGP
Game completely freezes my comp after 2 minutes
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:40:47 PM »
Ok, I open PB2 And start playing sometimes its ok but 3 outta the 4 times 2 minutes into the game It just freezes cant go to windows or anything really starting to get to me restarting my comp every 2 minutes
AMD 64 Sempron 2500+
512mb ram
Nvidia 6600GT with 81.98 Drivers
If anyone could help it would be VERY appricated alright peace.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:53:14 AM by webhead »

Hobo

• VM-68
Re: Really Getting Annoying
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:44:25 PM »
What is your connection speed?  Wondering if you're lagging out.
Does the phone jack picture come up on the screen?
What servers are you playing on? 
What's your ping on the servers?
Do you have a firewalll like zonealarm? Sometimes the pop up window doesn't pop all the way to the top screen.

postmortem

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:05:57 AM »
why isn't this in the bugs section?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
what programs do you have running in the background?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:19:20 PM »
Moved to help and support, as I'm not sure if it's a bug or something with the system.

When it locks up, does it completely freeze your whole machine?  Do things like num lock respond (if you press num lock and the light doesn't change - usually it means the whole machine is locked up).  Can you alt-tab out of it?  Try running it in windowed mode.

What sound card do you have?  Sometimes sound card drivers can cause the computer to lock up (especially creative's).  Try updating your sound drivers.  It could also be a heat issue.  Try taking the side of the case off and maybe put a fan on it.  Have you had this problem with any other games?

Dec!

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »
Ok back from school,  I play on all servers.. ping in  some are 30 some a 130.. either way its good. And not its not the plug icon I know what it means when i say it freezes i mean it freezes like cant go to windows CTRL ALT DEL dosnt work... I have onboard sound, Ill try running in windowed mode which im not a big fan of. Thanks Jits Video card runs at 50c and processor at like 30c so its cool...

Derrek

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 04:48:50 PM »
Just a little info from my side.

I have the same problem.  except....I can play for various times before I freeze(2 minutes - couple of hours).

I cirvumvented the problem by placing a large fan infront of the open case.  My problem seems to be an over heating issue.

It tends to be worse when the room my comp is in gets over 75-80 degrees.

I first noticed it when I upgraded video cards.
I have an AMD 1800+ with 4x AGP.  The video card is an 8x AGP.  Not sure if that is the cause of the problem or not.
I plan on upgrading the motherboard and CPU as well as getting a better case with efficient cooling.  I hope that solves the problem.

Don't know if you are having a similar issue, but you may try the fan solution, see if it allows you to play any longer.  If it does, you should upgrade/fix the cooling on your current case.

-Derrek

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »
With my ati card, I had to use cl_maxfps 100, because when it ran at the max possible framerate all the time (usually 300-500), it would lock up.  What framerate do you typically get? (cl_drawfps 1).

I wasn't suggesting windowed mode as a permanent fix.  I just wanted to see what it does when the game locks up.

rud

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 05:35:25 AM »
same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, same problem. everything locked up. works fine now though.... weird?

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:24:58 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:55:24 PM by IronFist »

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:05:37 PM »
Sometimes this also happens to me. Maybe its really the overheating thing...Will look what i can do.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »
I couldn't get mbm to work on my system, but speedfan worked out well for me: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Dec!

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »
TT My PC runs very cool,