Author Topic: My first map :D  (Read 2243 times)

sting22

• PGP
My first map :D
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »
Hi guyz!
I just made my FIRST map  8) (named The Two Towers :S)
Plz check this out
(Sorry for my bad english :[)
Modes supported: CTF, Deathmatch, Elimination
Max Teams: 2, Red, Blue
Bases: 2 Flags: 2

Here we go with screenshots:

b00nlander

• Autococker
Re: My first map :D
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
unplayable :)

sting22

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »
Why xD

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »
For a first map, that's pretty good mapping. But gameplay wise, it pretty much IS unplayable. ALL paths are linable (you can line and there's NOWHERE the enemy can hide) and the map is too straightforward. Also fix your textures properly. The lights on the bottom floor on either side of the ladder for instance.

Overall, it's a decent effort for a first map, but like all of us mappers say, try not to release your first few maps. Practice more and you'll do fine.

If you still want comments on how to fix it, here are some.
1 - Again, align your textures.
2 - Make the hallways on either side wider and put some obstacles in it. At least when someone's lining, there could be something you could duck behind.
3 - Fill up the middle bottom floor. Obstacles, barrels, boxes, whatever.
4 - Looking down from the towers, you have a LOT of empty space between the bottom floor and the top. See if you can add anything there.
5 - I'm guessing the water surrounding the towers is the moat? If it is, I suggest you make it a dirty water texture. I didn't even know it was water until I fell in.
6 - As long as there is one person camping the tower, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to grab the flag and make a run for it. NO WAY at all. See if you can come up with a solution to fix that.

Hope those things helped you a bit.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
Grabbing+Capping = Impossible

2+2 = 6

And

Me+Musik = Love

sting22

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »
Well, ok i practice  ;D

Thx for the tips guyz  ;D

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
your first few maps should be more of a learning experience. Wait until you're confident with your map making skills before you release a map.

Dukky

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 05:16:08 AM »
your first few maps should be more of a learning experience. Wait until you're confident with your map making skills before you release a map.

How can he be confident if he never recieves any feedbacks on his mapping skills?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
How can he be confident if he never recieves any feedbacks on his mapping skills?

Woot, you read my mind. I was going to ask just the same.

For feedback, you should think about your texture choises. Grass for a ladder? Not good. Also straight hallways aren't good - you can see straight to the enemy base and they're easy to line. Also if bigger map has large open area, with lots of detail and stuff like that, r_speeds will go crazy.
I think that the biggest problem is that, that you only have 1 route to the flag and it's a ladder. That is super easy to camp by one person, so make multiple paths to flag.