Author Topic: computer help. program problems  (Read 6041 times)

eradicator

• Autococker
computer help. program problems
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »
Hi, when I go to facebook it lets me go to the main login page but when I try to login it just says internet explorer can not display the page. this only happens for one computer in my house, my main desktop. how can I fix the problem for this computer? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:06:35 PM by eradicator »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: facebook help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

:)

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »
Hi, when I go to facebook it lets me go to the main login page but when I try to login it just says internet explorer can not display the page. this only happens for one computer in my house, my main desktop. how can I fix the problem for this computer? Thanks
Don't use that computer lol. Try using firefox or other browsers maybe?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:34:29 AM »
It happens on firefox as well, I've had that issue.  It sorta comes and goes, you can't login at all, just get that error, but then if you try 5 minutes later sometimes it works, or sometimes it doesn't.  Its quite irritating, i'm not sure if its the computer or the facebook server.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
I downloaded firefox but when I click on the icon it never opens, I restarted my computer but still no luck. tips?

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »
Re-install it. Or get Opera.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21:29 AM »
- Get Firefox
- Update virus software and scan.
- Check firewall settings

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
got firefox
updated virus software and scanned
checked firwall settings- firefox is allowed and a trusted program

It still won't open........ I get the hourglass for like two seconds then nothing happens.

EDIT: My Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program won't open now either-FML

What now?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:56:10 AM by eradicator »

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
I also noticed that iTunes doesn't open but when I go to task manager under processes it says it is running.
Does anyone know what might be causing all of this?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: computer help. program problems
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
I don't think this has anything to do with security.  It happens on my iPod as well....  Its an occasional thing for me, but quite irritating.  Happens on Firefox and Opera, I tried everything to try and get around it :\.

Does your iTunes Music come off the computer or external storage via network or usb?

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »
umm... We have had that problem sometimes. It is probably due to faulty internet connection. Just click reload/refresh, it oten reloads right away.

Check that you have a working internet connection, just b/c your other computers do doesn't mean that this one does. Faulty ethernet cable, plug, router, modem, wireless... etc.

I also noticed that iTunes doesn't open but when I go to task manager under processes it says it is running.
Does anyone know what might be causing all of this?

To fix the iTunes, under the processes tab of the task manager, end the process, then pull it back up, that might work.

What operating system are you running and what version(s) of Firefox, Internet Explorer, iTunes etc. are you running? Newer versions sometimes have problems on older systems.

VISTA
If you have Windows Vista:         :'(        All Hope Despair Ye Who Enter Here

A lot of programs don't work with Windows Vista, they just aren't compatible. Go to the control panel and turn off parentol controls, then restart the computer, right-click the installation executable and click Run As Administrator. That works for quite a few installers that wouldn't otherwise work. Also try changing compatibility settings.

Other options? Get on mIRC (or IRC on dplogin.com) and find someone that could help you and do a real-time chat to try to identify and fix the problem. Or, contact a real IT technician.

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
Solution for all computer problems: LINUX

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
I'm running windows xp sp3.
I'm trying to use the newest version of Firefox but it doesn't open, i don't get error messages or anything, it just doesn't open. and the other programs that do the same thing, this all just started a few days ago, I have no idea why. My itunes music is on my computer but itunes won't even show up no matter what i try.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »
Solution for all computer problems: LINUX

Haha, if you can't afford XP or OSX then Linux is your savior. Don't say it's more usable or even necessarily works out-of-the-box... both XP and OSX completely destroy it in that regard.

But if you really know what you're doing it can be a lot of fun. :)

I'm trying to use the newest version of Firefox but it doesn't open, i don't get error messages or anything, it just doesn't open. and the other programs that do the same thing, this all just started a few days ago, I have no idea why. My itunes music is on my computer but itunes won't even show up no matter what i try.

Well, first run them and open up the task manager to see if they're *actually* running or if they just mysteriously disappear. If it's the latter, open firefox up through the command line (does firefox have a --debug switch?) and see why it's not running.

Then format and reinstall everything.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
Does iTunes bring up any messages?  Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, it should pick up your music if its in the default folder.

Firstly, its not a faulty internet connection, nor an operating system problem because a. I can connect to any other website perfectly and b. is happens on Mac, Windows, Linux and iPod touch for me.

Thats where it becomes difficult.  Erad, have you tried logging in about 5 minutes later after the error?  It seems to work for me, but sometimes I end up having to wait a few hours for it to work.

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
hmm... interesting, this is firefox only? Or your other browsers as well. If I understand correctly you are saying you can get on the internet, but not that website. Also, you checked firewall settings, two things: 1. You said you checked Norton (or whatever you use) and that it is not blocked. Windows has its own firewall, check that. 2. There are programs that restrict certain websites. I think that most firewalls will do this, so while it lets you on the internet, and it lets firefox on, it might be blocking that webpage, either parental controls (might be on by accident) or because it detects virus, or just by accident.

umm... did you enter the correct login information?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 01:36:03 AM »
Privateer, I'm not trying to be mean, but firewalls wouldn't be dumb to block a login server if you can access the main page of facebook.

Its happening to me now, try to login, almost instantly get taken to a error page everytime I try to login, I wanna play Fish Wrangler :[[[[

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
But firewalls wouldn't be dumb to block a login server if you can access the main page of facebook.

My bad, I am a programmer actually, must not have gotten enough sleep earlier in the day. But I am sure that somewhere there are privacy controls that could prevent this. I really don't know what to tell you, this is really weird. Just one thing, I think, a long time ago, that this happened to me once or twice, facebook or myspace has customized web pages based on YOUR information, if the username is wrong the computer automatically generates a link, that isn't there (I THINK that is how it works?). My point is that the login info might not be right. Make absolutely SURE that your login information is correct. Erase the username and password fields and enter it again carefully.

MaX_OwnAge

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:55 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with which browser you are using. I use IE8 and have no problems with facebook. I do occasionally get a "page cannot be displayed" error when navigating fb but that is their issue, not mine. 

I think your computer is sick. This thread started with you not being able to get on facebook, and now you can't open firefox, iTunes, malwarebytes...sounds like something is up.

Have you ever been able to access facebook from that computer? If so, when did it stop working? Is the computer running slow right now or performing poorly? Are there any other applications that used to work which now all of a sudden don't seem to open? Have you checked the system and application event log for error messages that may give a symptom of the problem?